Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Clouds - 2014

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best clouds of last night's sunset were to the southeast.

Just an image to show just how boring the view to the west was.

Took off the wide angle lens and threw on the 100mm to get the sliver of color.

Tonight's sunset

I saw this break in the clouds/rain on the horizon , so I braved it out to the pond in the rain. This is what it looked like while it was still raining. At this point I was almost about to give it up as I had the camera inside the car and was trying to keep the rain off of the lens with my umbrella. Was not a happy camper at this point. But you can see the break in the clouds that got me outside.

Just 17 minutes later, look what happened. Ummmm wow is all I could say.

A bit later I went vertical. I think I was able to image five layers of clouds in one image. The orange left over scud on the bottom. THe gold, grey of the middle. The puffy white diamond shaped high clouds. The streak of way the heck up there clouds off to the upper right. And very faint but on the left side and angled to the upper left some I can't believe they are that high clouds. I can not remember five layers before, at least from the ground.

And to end the night, the obligatory red clouds at night shot. 

Glad I made it out for the sunset, now.

Tonight's sunset, post storms.

Is it a cockroach or a spaceship?

Now it is definitely an interstellar delta winged runabout.

Last image of the night. Does not look like much at all now. But I do like the texture.

The wheat is starting to ripen here. The sharp gold color usually compliments the sky colors well. Too bad the wheat is still a duller sharp brown. But it is getting close.

The sunset was a snoozefest. But here it is in all it's non-glory.

From this evening. Departing systems can have hidden surprises in them.

What the pond looked like as I got there. Nothing special but it was nice to see the water smooth.

Getting closer to sunset. I see some clouds arriving from the right. Wonder if they will spark anything note-worthy.

Ummm, affirmative.

Went vertical to see if it looked even more dramatic.

T-minus 10 seconds. Main engine start.

Go at throttle up. Max Q.

Rise of the Phoenix

Yes, I have to say that this departing system did give a great and special sunset. Hope yours was gorgeous to look at also. If not, enjoy this one.

Back again to show you another (tonight's) sunset. Amazing the changes that can happen through a sunset.

What it looked like when I got out to the pond.

I wondered if 16mm would be wide enough to show a good turn in the atmosphere. I think it is now.

Sometimes HDR does odd things with color. But sometimes it makes for interesting images.

There goes the Sun. Here comes the sky.

Just a touch later. The additional of the cooler blues helps balance it out a lot.

Last shot of the night. There was a very brief but vivid red flash tonight. I was ill prepared for it. I was packing stuff up when I saw the red light up. I was all elbows and backside trying to set everything up. I missed the best of it but still caught a decent amount of red.

This evening at the pond...

Looking east when I got there. I like how the cloud is pure white at the top while it goes to dirty yellow and bruise blue the farther down the cloud you go as those sunset colors start climbing the cloud.

Looking west during the sunset. It looks like a pano but it is a single exposure at 16mm and cropped heavily top and bottom trying to just leave the clouds in.

A more *normal* look to the sunset.

Tonight's effort

The wispy skeletal nature of the clouds.

Some of the cell towers in Iowa were causing some shadows here. I could see from the sunset radar spikes when I got back home that they were the cause of these shadows. They lined up perfectly.

The wind was blowing most of the night but it did lessen for just about three or four minutes and allowed me to get a reflection shot. So the night was a success in my book.

Tonight from the pond.

The set up as I got to the pond. Moisture streaming from the southwest with clear alleyways. A good omen.

The actual sunset. Kind of violent.

The golden hour was truly golden this evening.

Turning from gold to red

Now full on red.

Now for one post post sunset. I am including it because it shows the virga that was going on all night but was kind of hard to see. This one where the colors are now muted greatly shows the virga best.

Tonight's effort.

When I got to the pond this is what it looked like. I should have turned around and headed home after this first image.

But no I had to stay for some ugly bruise color. That sick yellowish green color that makes you go owwww just looking at it.

Last bit of color before the overcast won and turn the sky uniform blue/grey and I packed up for home.

Awesome pics!

What lense do you use?

Thanks. All images except for four on the second page and two on the first page are taken with Canon's 16mm-35mmL. The odd ball six images are taken with Canon's 100mmL. The 16-35 is my new favorite lens for atmospheric stuff. Although I did break out the 24-70 last weekend for the first time in awhile. Have not posted any images with it yet. At least in this thread.

Tonight's effort

First image when I got there was the best cloud image. The clouds quickly evaporated once I set up. So not much experimentation with this one. With the 16-35mm.

All I had left was the golden hour. Which turned into more of the bronze one-half hour. With the 100mm.

Tonight's clouds.

What I started with, nothing special.

The actual sunset. Hopefully a gateway to better things.

Yes, things did get better. Although this was the first time that 16mm was not wide enough. These clouds stretched over 90 degrees so even a fisheye would have been hard pressed to get them all. Still happy with the 16mm.

Going, going, almost gone.

Archived