Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Obs for March 2nd-3rd 2014 winter storm

famartin

Not a great help but a general idea of the snowfall amounts Philly SE & NW:

Is that the right storm? 

You know where I'm at, but for reference to others, I'm between Hatboro at 2" and that looks like Warrington at 2.8.  No way on either of those amounts.

It was .7 here FWIW.  I'm assuming you had about the same.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that the right storm? 

You know where I'm at, but for reference to others, I'm between Hatboro at 2" and that looks like Warrington at 2.8.  No way on either of those amounts.

It was .7 here FWIW.  I'm assuming you had about the same.

On my end, yeah, I watched their 4pm broadcast total reports live and took screen shots. I definitely believe the Hatboro report of 2". I mentioned in this thread early this morning of approx 1.25 - 1.5" and it snowed for a bit afterwards so 2" in Hatboro I think is legit since they're only 2 miles down the road. It was a weird storm in every aspect... 

Question for the South Jersey folks.  There's a guy on another message board (a Rutgers football board, but it's off season and I usually have weather threads for snow events and football games - pretty entertaining actually) who's from Mantua, I think, and he works in Vineland and he said road conditions were far worse for this storm than they were for the 2/13 storm.  I was skeptical, given how much more snow fell on 2/13, even if temps were warmer. 

I can see how the cold temps would keep the snow from melting on the roads vs. 2/13, where the snow eventually changed to rain down there by late morning, but during the morning rush on 2/13, I thought most of SJ (except maybe from Vineland and points S/E of there, where a lot less snow fell) was buried under 8-10" in round one and the roads before 9-10 am were horrible.  At least that's what I recall from this board and from FB, as I grew up in Washington Twp (Gloucester Co) and am FB friends with a ton of folks from HS and I recall them all saying how bad the roads were the morning of 2/13 (in the Gloucester/Camden Co. areas at least).  Any comments here? 

Question for the South Jersey folks. There's a guy on another message board (a Rutgers football board, but it's off season and I usually have weather threads for snow events and football games - pretty entertaining actually) who's from Mantua, I think, and he works in Vineland and he said road conditions were far worse for this storm than they were for the 2/13 storm. I was skeptical, given how much more snow fell on 2/13, even if temps were warmer.

I can see how the cold temps would keep the snow from melting on the roads vs. 2/13, where the snow eventually changed to rain down there by late morning, but during the morning rush on 2/13, I thought most of SJ (except maybe from Vineland and points S/E of there, where a lot less snow fell) was buried under 8-10" in round one and the roads before 9-10 am were horrible. At least that's what I recall from this board and from FB, as I grew up in Washington Twp (Gloucester Co) and am FB friends with a ton of folks from HS and I recall them all saying how bad the roads were the morning of 2/13 (in the Gloucester/Camden Co. areas at least). Any comments here?

As a snow plow operator I'll throw my 2 cents in. It comes down to temperature. You see when temps are below 25 salt doesn't work well, and in the teens? Forget it. You also factor in amount of road traffic (ADT Average Daily Traffic). Now I'm not sure how much different NJDOT is then PENNDOT, but what we do, is on roads with less than 3,000 ADT, is put 25% salt 75% anti skid stone. Granted normally we use 50/50 but with the salt shortage we had to cut down and I'm sure just about everybody in the tri state is as well.

What it comes down to is salt sucks under 25 degrees. And with the weak mix we are using it doesn't help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question for the South Jersey folks.  There's a guy on another message board (a Rutgers football board, but it's off season and I usually have weather threads for snow events and football games - pretty entertaining actually) who's from Mantua, I think, and he works in Vineland and he said road conditions were far worse for this storm than they were for the 2/13 storm.  I was skeptical, given how much more snow fell on 2/13, even if temps were warmer. 

I can see how the cold temps would keep the snow from melting on the roads vs. 2/13, where the snow eventually changed to rain down there by late morning, but during the morning rush on 2/13, I thought most of SJ (except maybe from Vineland and points S/E of there, where a lot less snow fell) was buried under 8-10" in round one and the roads before 9-10 am were horrible.  At least that's what I recall from this board and from FB, as I grew up in Washington Twp (Gloucester Co) and am FB friends with a ton of folks from HS and I recall them all saying how bad the roads were the morning of 2/13 (in the Gloucester/Camden Co. areas at least).  Any comments here? 

I heard reports that roads were bad in the Vineland area(both parents work there). But then again, Vineland always does a piss poor job with snow removal, so it's hard to compare.

Another factor at least on local roads could be that 2/13 started as snow and the temperature warmed overnight into the am and was close to if not above freezing during rush hour there. Last night here (and probably something similar in Vineland I'm guessing) it began as light rain -> freezing rain (thin layer) -> sleet (0.10 depth min.)-> snow, with temperatures dropping through the 20's into the teens. The bottom layer was ice. So any local road that was not treated overnight would have been icy underneath the snow I would think.

Hmmm not sure where they got those totals, they seem a little high. I'm about 6 miles south of Charlestown in Chester county and I only revived 1.0

I agree, there was a pretty good N-S (and later on NW-SE) gradient last night just looking at the radar and intensities. Stranger things have happened I suppose. Not sure what their last forecast was last night.

Another factor at least on local roads could be that 2/13 started as snow and the temperature warmed overnight into the am and was close to if not above freezing during rush hour there. Last night here (and probably something similar in Vineland I'm guessing) it began as light rain -> freezing rain (thin layer) -> sleet (0.10 depth min.)-> snow, with temperatures dropping through the 20's into the teens. The bottom layer was ice. So any local road that was not treated overnight would have been icy underneath the snow I would think.

This.  Temps were rising on 2/13 and there was so much snow on the ground before 7 am most people probably just stayed at home.

This.  Temps were rising on 2/13 and there was so much snow on the ground before 7 am most people probably just stayed at home.

I get all that and said as much in my post, but even with the colder temps yesterday, do people in SJ think that the roads were in worse shape yesterday than on 2/13 (and I'm not talking about far SE NJ, where on 2/13 there was a lot more rain and less snow - I'm talking about 75% of SJ, which got 8-10" of snow during the morning of 2/13)?  That would surprise me greatly, as I know the roads were horrendous up in Central Jersey and we got about the same amount of snow that morning - the roads were snow covered and the visibility at times was near zero in 2-3"/hour rates. 

I get all that and said as much in my post, but even with the colder temps yesterday, do people in SJ think that the roads were in worse shape yesterday than on 2/13 (and I'm not talking about far SE NJ, where on 2/13 there was a lot more rain and less snow - I'm talking about 75% of SJ, which got 8-10" of snow during the morning of 2/13)?  That would surprise me greatly, as I know the roads were horrendous up in Central Jersey and we got about the same amount of snow that morning - the roads were snow covered and the visibility at times was near zero in 2-3"/hour rates. 

I dont, then again I didnt even attempt it with the previous one, I slept at the office the night before. I was off for this event, but I would not have slept over if I had a day shift on Monday morning.   

That's crazy that PHL got around 3 and I live in the far NE part of philly and got what looked like under an inch to my eyes. Cut off was crazy sharp with this one.

I received about 2", 1.9" to be exact, but my buddy who lives 7 miles south of me in Howell Twp got 4", 5 miles to my north, nearly an inch and in Somerset where I work, forget about it.

Archived