• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Southern Ontario winter '13-'14 Discussion part II

Ottawa Blizzard

I don't think a very cold winter makes it a standout winter. Just because you're obsessed with cold doesn't mean everyone else solely uses it to determine how "great" they view the winter.  :rolleyes:

I'm not obsessed with cold. Honestly, if we had bare ground up until mid January and then had one 30 cm snowfall a week for four weeks, it still wouldn't make the grade with me due to the late start to winter and green Christmas.

And you've been complaining about the cold all winter. This is Canada. Better get used to it. :rolleyes:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mean temperature for YYZ was -2.0C last Winter, lol.  December and January were way above normal, lol. 

Yes, for the first half of last winter, I was nervous about a trend setting up. Blowtorch winter in 2011-2012, then blowtorch first half of 2012-2013. Amazing how warm some of the new millennium's winters have been.

I'm not obsessed with cold. Honestly, if we had bare ground up until mid January and then had one 30 cm snowfall a week for four weeks, it still wouldn't make the grade with me due to the late start to winter and green Christmas.

And you've been complaining about the cold all winter. This is Canada. Better get used to it. :rolleyes:

I started complaining about the cold for the first time a couple weeks ago. How is that "all winter"?

Bare ground until mid Jan followed by four footers would make this winter an A+ for me.

Moral of the story? We clearly have different criteria for what makes a great winter. Please stop discriminating against my viewpoint. I gave my grade, just like everybody else, and you railed on me because I didn't give it a higher grade because I have a different set of criteria. It's both rude and absurd. I didn't initiate any attack on you for your winter report card. Lay off me.

2011-2012 Buffalo Airport received 36.7 inches. It was the lowest number since reporting began to take place at the Airport instead of the city of Buffalo. 11-12 was the worst winter for people who love snow/cold in history.

As Weathafella says in the new England sub-forum, that was a "dead ratter" of a winter. Just awful.

As Weathafella says in the new England sub-forum, that was a "dead ratter" of a winter. Just awful.

I am not positive if lower seasonal totals were experienced before they moved the recording center to the Airport from the city in 1940 but I doubt it. It was absolutely brutal for snow lovers.  We had I think one storm above 6 inches total...That is unheard of for this area. The Lake didn't freeze the last two years at all either. This year it is more frozen than anytime since 77-78 I believe.

I am not positive if lower seasonal totals were experienced before they moved the recording center to the Airport from the city in 1940 but I doubt it. It was absolutely brutal for snow lovers.  We had I think one storm above 6 inches total...That is unheard of for this area. The Lake didn't freeze the last two years at all either. This year it is more frozen than anytime since 77-78 I believe.

I find that nature often finds a way to balance things out. Perhaps we'll have a March akin to 1960 this year to balance out that of 2012? :devilsmiley:

I find that nature often finds a way to balance things out. Perhaps we'll have a March akin to 1960 this year to balance out that of 2012? :devilsmiley:

I'll gladly take a 07-08 March where we got 30 inches of snow. We had back to back 1+ foot snowstorms within a week period. Was the best back to back synoptic snowstorms I've ever experienced.

March_2008_NA_winter_storm_snowfall.PNG

I'll gladly take a 07-08 March where we got 30 inches of snow. We had back to back 1+ foot snowstorms within a week period. Was the best back to back synoptic snowstorms I've ever experienced.

March_2008_NA_winter_storm_snowfall.PNG

March 2008 was awesome. 50 cm of snow over two days in Ottawa. On top of the foot that had fallen a week earlier, the snowbanks were higher than me.

How much total snow is that for March? The most Buffalo has received in March since 1940 was in 2000-2001 with 32.8 inches.

Good god. You sure measurements were accurate way back then. That seems like an error or something.

It's genuine I believe.. and such snow totals are possible in modern times. Take a look at Ottawa's totals in February 1971:

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=ONT&StationID=4337&mlyRange=1938-01-01|2011-06-01&Year=1971&cmdB1=Go&Month=2&Day=17    That's 62.8"!!

This is December 2007 in Ottawa.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=ONT&StationID=4337&mlyRange=1938-01-01%7C2011-06-01&cmdB1=Go&Year=2007&Month=12&cmdB1=Go  That's 47.6". I remember that month well.

It's genuine I believe.. and such snow totals are possible in modern times. Take a look at Ottawa's totals in February 1971:

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=ONT&StationID=4337&mlyRange=1938-01-01|2011-06-01&Year=1971&cmdB1=Go&Month=2&Day=17    That's 62.8"!!

This is December 2007 in Ottawa.

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=ONT&StationID=4337&mlyRange=1938-01-01%7C2011-06-01&cmdB1=Go&Year=2007&Month=12&cmdB1=Go  That's 47.6". I remember that month well.

Yeah that's a crazy pattern haha! We get insane monthly totals here but only during Dec/Jan when lake Erie is open for business. The most was 82.7 which occurred in Dec. 2001. All of it was received from Mon-Fri. It was the most insane thing I've ever witnessed but didn't take any video or pictures. =(

Just to get an idea of man-measured (non-nipher gauge) Toronto area snowfall winter-to-date:

Buttonville: 148.3cm (58.4")

North York: 124.8cm (49.1")

East York: 116.2cm (45.7")

I'd estimate the downtown number falls in between the EY and NY number. OB, is the Buttonville number representative of what your area of the city's seen or are they slant sticking?

Just to get an idea of man-measured (non-nipher gauge) Toronto area snowfall winter-to-date:

I'd estimate the downtown number falls in between the EY and NY number. OB, is the Buttonville number representative of what your area of the city's seen or are they slant sticking?

I'm like in between Buttonville and North York for seasonal total. Nipher failed us yet again yesterday, LOL. In all seriousness, EC needs to get rid of the Nipher. Otherwise, our seasonal average will continue to be skewed at YYZ.

How much is the seasonal total for YYZ?

Buttonville always seems to closely match what my neighbourhood experiences. I'd say I'm somewhere between Buttonville and north York with regard to totals. The snow depth at Buttonville is similar to what I currently have in IMBY.

Archived