Newest Member
    joxey
Southern Ontario winter '13-'14 Discussion part II

Ottawa Blizzard

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Measured 3.5cm at midnight out back

Just measured 4 cm here in downtown T.O Christie Pits.

Had blowing snow making driving tricky out there. Very wintry with snow covering everything.

Decent event even if stats don't impress.

Still making this an A- winter here for me.

The winter's I've assigned A grades to (starting with 1998-99) are 1998-99, 2002-03, 2007-08, and 2008-09. Only 2007-08 was a true A, the others were A-s. This winter will end up in the B column unless the snow starts piling up quickly over the next few weeks (or we get a big dog). Just not enough total snow to get into that excellent category. Still good though.

Just measured 4 cm here in downtown T.O Christie Pits.

Had blowing snow making driving tricky out there. Very wintry with snow covering everything.

Decent event even if stats don't impress.

Still making this an A- winter here for me.

Toronto has been in the better returns most of the night. Nice bonus you for guys - hope you break 5cm in DT

The winter's I've assigned A grades to (starting with 1998-99) are 1998-99, 2002-03, 2007-08, and 2008-09. Only 2007-08 was a true A, the others were A-s. This winter will end up in the B column unless the snow starts piling up quickly over the next few weeks (or we get a big dog). Just not enough total snow to get into that excellent category. Still good though.

I agree with this. I was only around 5 years old back in 1998-99 so I don't remember that Winter, but judging by the pictures my parents took, I can tell it was an awesome season! If we can get another 30cm and the snow stays on the ground through March 15th-20th, I'd give this Winter an A. 

It would be incredible if March ends up below normal as well. It'll be the 5th straight month then :o

Btw closing in on 6cm here in my area. 

I agree with this. I was only around 5 years old back in 1998-99 so I don't remember that Winter, but judging by the pictures my parents took, I can tell it was an awesome season! If we can get another 30cm and the snow stays on the ground through March 15th-20th, I'd give this Winter an A.  

It would be incredible if March ends up below normal as well. It'll be the 5th straight month then :o

Btw closing in on 6cm here in my area. 

1998-99 was 2011-12 bad outside of those 13 days in January and the first week of March. So it gives you some indication how freaking incredibly awesome those 20 days were that I can still give it an A-.

1998-99 was 2011-12 bad outside of those 13 days in January and the first week of March. So it gives you some indication how freaking incredibly awesome those 20 days were that I can still give it an A-.

Really? Wow! In addition, early March 99 wasn't that bad either. Seen some pictures my parents took and their were some decent sized mountains everywhere. So you can basically say Winter was only present 3 weeks that entire season, LOL.  

What about 04-05? It wasn't that bad. I was in Junior School but I remember it. 

Really? Wow! In addition, early March 99 wasn't that bad either. Seen some pictures my parents took and their were some decent sized mountains everywhere. So you can basically say Winter was only present 3 weeks that entire season, LOL.  

What about 04-05? It wasn't that bad. I was in Junior School but I remember it. 

2004-05 was above average but not exceptional.

Looking back at stats, 98-99 winter came in 6cm below avg in KW, but just shy of 100cm fell in January. Guess that is what makes that winter so memorable. Next to nothing fell in Nov/Dec, Feb was a bust, but a foot fell in March. Rather uneven winter locally.

2004-05 was above average but not exceptional.

It was a fairly cold Winter. Alot of nickle and dime events with a decent storm around Christmas that season. Thats what i remember. 

YYZ came in with 3.8mm of precip yesterday. Maybe around 4cm given ratios? 

Looking back at stats, 98-99 winter came in 6cm below avg in KW, but just shy of 100cm fell in January. Guess that is what makes that winter so memorable. Next to nothing fell in Nov/Dec, Feb was a bust, but a foot fell in March. Rather uneven winter locally.

Toronto ended up +30cm for the season, even with the disaster that befell the city outside of those 3 weeks. The downtown Toronto station recorded more snow in Jan 1999 than did London, Barrie, or Ottawa. East winds were kind that month.

Toronto ended up +30cm for the season, even with the disaster that befell the city outside of those 3 weeks. The downtown Toronto station recorded more snow in Jan 1999 than did London, Barrie, or Ottawa. East winds were kind that month.

How much Jan '99 in Toronto?

Yeah, that was a disgrace. 21cm for Jan 2-3 or something. Buttonville had almost 60 IIRC :lmao:

LOL, EC needs to get rid of the Nipher in all honesty. Bro, if you compare the discrepancy every Winter between ButtonVille and YYZ, its astounding.  

5.8cm here in my area. 

LOL, EC needs to get rid of the Nipher in all honesty. Bro, if you compare the discrepancy every Winter between ButtonVille and YYZ, its astounding.  

5.8cm here in my area. 

Sure, but it's not going to happen. So long has Toronto has a number of other climo stations that employ the traditional ruler approach to measuring snow, I'm cool.

1998-99 was a bizarre winter. Phenomenal first two weeks of January and then that one week in March. Outside of that, it was a complete disaster. But I still have fond memories...

If you got to relive a month Jan 1999 probably offers the best cross sub-forum consensus. Maybe Dec 2000. Relatively recent winters only of course.

If you got to relive a month Jan 1999 probably offers the best cross sub-forum consensus. Maybe Dec 2000. Relatively recent winters only of course.

Yeah, probably. Of course the '99 New Year's Day storm was the great equalizer. Pretty wide hit for the sub-forum, which is/was pretty rare. 

Archived