• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Delaware River freeze watch

Probably the first time in decades, the Delaware River has a legitimate chance at freezing over completely due to our extended period of usually cold weather. 

Thoughts and possible impacts ?

Obviously flooding would be one, if we were to have dramatic warming and heavy rains in February.  

They had a piece out here (news) a couple weeks ago, about how it caused rivers to backup in 96'. 

http://wnep.com/2014/01/09/watching-the-icy-delaware-river/

(Use this thread to post your latest observed images of the Delaware as well.)

Watching The Icy Delaware River

DELAWARE RIVER — New concerns are being raised about the frozen Delaware River and what could happen if we get a sudden thaw and rain over the weekend.

People along the river remember all too well when the same kind of thing happened back in 1996.

McMichael’s Creek eventually feeds into the Delaware River. If the Delaware River swells it causes a backup to creeks and streams like McMichael’s Creek.

All eyes are on the ice-covered Delaware River as Monroe County emergency officials wait to see how quickly the ice melts and where it goes.

All kinds of jagged shapes and sizes of ice chunks are poking out of the Delaware. At Kittatinny Point near the Delaware Water Gap, a set of stairs would have led to a beach and then the river. The only proof the ice-covered area is a beach is a sign warning “no lifeguards.”

The ice-sealed river attracted the attention of Aina Rathbun and her husband.

“I took some of the ice flows clumped together at one spot,” she said, describing her photos.

Down the river a bit, Edie Buckner was training her dog Sydney how to herd sheep. She recalls the last time seeing the Delaware River look ice-covered like this was back in the 1990s.

“I remember going down to Smithfield Beach and the ice was piled up on the beach,” Buckner said.

Video from Skycam 16 back then shows nearby Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort surrounded by floating chunks of ice.

“The river had frozen and there were huge, huge chunks of ice that had crumpled up on the beach,” Buckner recalled.

But things were different back in 1996, according to the National Weather Service. A blizzard left a lot of snow on the ground, temperatures rose, and there was heavy rain which caused the river to swell.

If it's okay maybe we could post pics, etc. of other iced up waterways? There's a nice waterfall I may check out over the weekend. I know this thread references the Delaware, do you want to expand it? Or make another thread for ice, etc.? Seems like high potential for ice news and stories over the next week or 2 and this doesn't happen every winter. Thanks....

sounds cool. ^

turr hurrrr, Ice Warning already issued. 

http://www.marinelink.com/news/delaware-warning-issued363355.aspx

Ice Warning Issued on the Delaware River
Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Captain of the Port (COTP) Delaware Bay is notifying mariners that Ice Condition II has been set. This means there have been reports of ice formation that may impact navigation throughout the COTP zone.

All masters, ship agents and owners and operators of vessels, marine facilities and marinas should review and adhere to the following Ice Condition II procedures for the Delaware River and its tributaries, the Delaware Bay, and New Jersey and Delaware coasts:

• Only steel hull vessels may operate north of the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge, in the Schuylkill Rover, in the Salem River, and within the Chesapeake and Delaware (C&D) Canal.
  • Vessels should be able to maneuver unassisted through the ice without needing to stop, back off and ram the ice.
  • Vessel moorings should be checked frequently to ensure the vessel is adequatley moored.
  • Vessels at anchor should maintain their engines on standby at all time when ice is present.
  • Vessel sea chests should be checked regularly for ice buildup and precautions should be taken to ensure that the sea chests are kept clear.
  • Vessels at anchor should ensure that proper bridge watches are stood at all times.
  • The COTP Delaware Bay may establish additional requirements for specific geographic areas of the COTP Zone if conditions warrant such restrictions.
  •  

Updates to ice conditions can be heard by calling the Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bat Ice Hotline at (215) 271 4995.

Mariners are also requested to keep the Coast Guard informed of any major ice developments.

If it's okay maybe we could post pics, etc. of other iced up waterways? There's a nice waterfall I may check out over the weekend. I know this thread references the Delaware, do you want to expand it? Or make another thread for ice, etc.? Seems like high potential for ice news and stories over the next week or 2 and this doesn't happen every winter. Thanks....

Not sure where you are planning on going, but, if memory serves (it's been about 10 years since I last hiked it), there are a couple of very cool waterfalls along the Appalachian Trail as you head out of the Delaware Water Gap heading south (i.e. on the PA side of the River).  I would have to imagine that they are (or soon will be) frozen solid at this point which would probably be pretty amazing to look at.  On the Jersey side of the gap, you could always check out Sunfish Pond, which is certainly frozen and kind of a cool landmark in any case (it is a glacial lake which are darn rare this far south).  There are probably falls on the Jersey side, too, but I haven't strayed far off the AT in that area so I only know what is adjacent to the trail. 

I flew over the Delaware yesterday, and I was shocked by how much was NOT frozen.... Not just further south like in Hazwopper's great pic but also between the Walt Whitman and the airport (we approached from the northeast). Today I drove up 29 to Lambertville. There was lots of ice of course, but there was also a surprising amount of open patches. I guess my childhood years have jaded me because I was certain this latest cold snap coupled with the previous one would be more than enough to freeze the river solid by now.

I flew over the Delaware yesterday, and I was shocked by how much was NOT frozen.... Not just further south like in Hazwopper's great pic but also between the Walt Whitman and the airport (we approached from the northeast). Today I drove up 29 to Lambertville. There was lots of ice of course, but there was also a surprising amount of open patches. I guess my childhood years have jaded me because I was certain this latest cold snap coupled with the previous one would be more than enough to freeze the river solid by now.

I might be wrong but I heard or read something about the salt line in the Delaware actually has been progressing further north in the river in general?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't checked today, but the last few days the river just north of Easton was flowing freely. Some border ice in spots and a bit of  frazil ice floating around on certain days. I can't imagine that it has changed much down Trenton way though. I too, thought that with this winter, it would have been frozen more.

My guess is that people's perceptions of "frozen river" in the more distant past were skewed by only looking at it at certain points. Certainly there were places in Trenton where it looked very frozen.  If you only looked at it from one spot, then you probably figured the whole river was frozen.

Archived