• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
westhampton

sn0w

Wasn't sure where to post this so mods feel free to merge to an existing thread.

I just saw the news...Westhampton was at 12 and Montauk at 32. Is this possible? I've been to both areas..that seems like a crazy difference. Is this common? Why such the contrast? Sorry for the noob questions...I've been here a while back to wright weather..don't post much but this really caught my interest

Wasn't sure where to post this so mods feel free to merge to an existing thread.

I just saw the news...Westhampton was at 12 and Montauk at 32. Is this possible? I've been to both areas..that seems like a crazy difference. Is this common? Why such the contrast? Sorry for the noob questions...I've been here a while back to wright weather..don't post much but this really caught my interest

Yes it happens often on calm nights..radiational cooling out there doesn't compare with other areas of LI

Western Nassau is also at 13. but not too far into queens and it's in the upper 20's. I thought there was something wrong with my reading but most weather stations are reading the same temperature. Thanks for asking that question I wasn't sure where to ask.

Western Nassau is also at 13. but not too far into queens and it's in the upper 20's. I thought there was something wrong with my reading but most weather stations are reading the same temperature. Thanks for asking that question I wasn't sure where to ask.

There are probobly quite a few pws that are not situated properly for correct temp measurements such as on rooftops or to close to radiating objects. This would really be noticable on nights like tonight with an inversion where they would read too high. There are several stations close by to me that have similar readings when a breeze is blowing but read several degrees higher on calm nights. Also some of these stations dont have enough protection for their thermos as they tend to read too high in direct sunlight.

Guest Pamela

Montauk is at the extreme eastern tip of Long Island and practically surrounded by water...if one was seeking a spot in the area with a comparable climate...Block Island would be a reasonable choice and to characterize both BID's and Montauk's climates as a hybrid of modified continental and maritime would be close to on spot.  Westhampton, roughly 40 miles west of Montauk and with a bit more actual real estate to its north, is less constrained by the water with regards to the inhibition of nighttime cooling, particularly if perfectly clear, calm anticyclonic conditions prevail.  However Westhampton's proximity to the water makes it a prime candidate for a changeover from snow to rain almost as quickly as Montauk when compared to other areas further inland and to the north and northwest. 

Thanks for posting, I thought I was losing it. I am on the coast and there is another Davis station a mile or 2 away that is set back a little off the coast that is 9 degrees lower than mine. I compare readings all the time and they are usually only a degree off at most. My station (the higher temperature) is sited very well over grass away from any heat source (other than the water).

post-569-0-23906300-1388912715_thumb.png

Montauk is at the extreme eastern tip of Long Island and practically surrounded by water...if one was seeking a spot in the area with a comparable climate...Block Island would be a reasonable choice and to characterize both BID's and Montauk's climates as a hybrid of modified continental and maritime would be close to on spot.  Westhampton, roughly 40 miles west of Montauk and with a bit more actual real estate to its north, is less constrained by the water with regards to the inhibition of nighttime cooling, particularly if perfectly clear, calm anticyclonic conditions prevail.  However Westhampton's proximity to the water makes it a prime candidate for a changeover from snow to rain almost as quickly as Montauk when compared to other areas further inland and to the north and northwest. 

...agree whole heartily..i'm 3 miles to the east of KFOX (eastport) and those nites

with optimum radiational cooling i drop like a rock too..not as extreme but close 

enough to feel its affect..i got down to  -7*..they got to  -13*.

..the sandy soil of the pine barrens is another contributing factor.

Montauk almost never has summer days over 90. Westhampton has plenty. Same phenomena, Montauk is surrounded by water, Westhampton not so much.

I don't think Westhampton sees more than 5 days or so a year with a temperature of 90 F or greater on average...the prevailing wind during the summer is southwesterly and off the water...making extreme heat rare out there.  Even Islip, further west and further inland, seldom sees more than 10 days a year with the mercury reaching 90 F.

I don't think Westhampton sees more than 5 days or so a year with a temperature of 90 F or greater on average...the prevailing wind during the summer is southwesterly and off the water...making extreme heat rare out there.  Even Islip, further west and further inland, seldom sees more than 10 days a year with the mercury reaching 90 F.

Agree. Though there are a lot of 87,88,89 high temp type days instead when inland places are in the low 90's.

JBG, MTP does have around 1 or 2 90+ days a year. In 2013 they had 4 90+ days. 2012 they had 5 90+ days. 2011 they had 2.

Agree. Though there are a lot of 87,88,89 high temp type days instead when inland places are in the low 90's.

JBG, MTP does have around 1 or 2 90+ days a year. In 2013 they had 4 90+ days. 2012 they had 5 90+ days. 2011 they had 2.

In 2011 KNYC hit 104. What did MTP do that day?

Archived