• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Forecasting contest - week of Dec 28 to Jan 3

beavis1729

Here are the numbers so far.  Tomorrow morning may be nearly as cold as this morning...but not sure if these "peak" numbers will get any colder.

INL - lowest temp..................................-37 (between midnight and 6AM on 12/30)
INL - lowest wind chill.............................-45 (9 PM on 12/29:  temp -29, SW wind @ 5 mph)
Statewide in MN - lowest temp................-40 (at Embarrass, 6 AM on 12/30)
Statewide in MN - lowest wind chill...........-47 (at Flag Island, during the morning of 12/29:  temp -26, NW wind @ 9 mph)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dlh&storyid=99190&source=0

If these numbers stay the same, Stebo will be the winner with a total departure of 4.  If it gets a bit colder tonight, then Brewers and mnweather may be in the running. 

Here are the numbers so far.  Tomorrow morning may be nearly as cold as this morning...but not sure if these "peak" numbers will get any colder.

INL - lowest temp..................................-37 (between midnight and 6AM on 12/30)

INL - lowest wind chill.............................-45 (9 PM on 12/29:  temp -29, SW wind @ 5 mph)

Statewide in MN - lowest wind chill...........-47 (at Flag Island, during the morning of 12/29:  temp -26, NW wind @ 9 mph)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dlh&storyid=99190&source=0

If these numbers stay the same, Stebo will be the winner with a total departure of 4.  If it gets a bit colder tonight, then Brewers and mnweather may be in the running. 

So far, everyone went too cold with the lowest wind chill. 

Checking the Grand Forks forecast office I see Bagely MN reported a wind chill of -53

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=fgf&product=pns&issuedby=FGF&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0

Checking the Grand Forks forecast office I see Bagely MN reported a wind chill of -53

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=fgf&product=pns&issuedby=FGF&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0

Nice catch.  I forgot that Grand Forks has coverage for NW MN.

Here are the updated numbers:

Statewide in MN - lowest wind chill...........-53 (at Bagley, during the morning of 12/29)

Stebo and mnweather are now tied, with a total departure of 4.

Updated numbers:

INL - lowest temp..................................-37 (during the morning of 12/30)
INL - lowest wind chill.............................-49 (11 PM on 12/30:  temp -33, W wind @ 5 mph)
Statewide in MN - lowest temp................-43 (at Embarrass, during the morning of 12/31) :guitar: 
Statewide in MN - lowest wind chill...........-53 (at Bagley, during the morning of 12/29)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/dlh/StormSummaries/2013/cold/Dec31Temps2.PNG

Here are the leaders at this point:

(1) Hailcore - total departure of 3

(2) cyclone77 - total departure of 4

(3) mnweather - total departure of 5

Yeah, good times!  Babbitt hit -47 also.

INL - lowest temp..................................-42 (during the morning of 1/2)
INL - lowest wind chill.............................-49 (11 PM on 12/30:  temp -33, W wind @ 5 mph)
Statewide in MN - lowest temp................-47 (at Embarrass and Babbitt, during the morning of 1/2) :guitar: 
Statewide in MN - lowest wind chill...........-53 (at Ely, 7 AM on 12/31:  temp -36, W wind @ 5 mph)

Here are the leaders at this point!  These should be the final standings, unless there is an intrahour bump somewhere this morning that I missed.

(1) OHweather - total departure of 3

(2 tie) Roger Smith - total departure of 8

(2 tie) Hailcore - total departure of 8

(2 tie) Chicago WX - total departure of 8 

INL actually hit -43 this morning, intra-hour.

INL - lowest temp..................................-43 (during the morning of 1/2)
Statewide in MN - lowest temp................-47 (at Embarrass and Babbitt, during the morning of 1/2)
Statewide in MN - lowest wind chill...........-53 (at Ely, 7 AM on 12/31:  temp -36, W wind @ 5 mph)

Here are the final standings...congrats OHweather!

(1) OHweather - total departure of 4

(2 tie) Roger Smith - total departure of 9

(2 tie) Hailcore - total departure of 9

(2 tie) Chicago WX - total departure of 9 

I'm quite happy with my forecast.  INL busted me by 4° last night, went with -39 for the forecast low it got down to -43, wind chill I went with -48,  it got to -49°, busted by 1°.  State low temp I nailed at -47°.  I went high with the wind chill at -60 state wide to try and win the contest.  Oh well it was fun to watch.

Archived