Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
WxChallenge 2013-14

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moved up into the 590's and shaved my standard deviation by about 1.4 with a solid but not great day 4. Next week doesn't look as tough with a modest LP ejecting into the Plains Tuesday-Wednesday before high pressure builds in to end the week...so maybe a tough forecast day in there but in general probably not as epic of bust potential as this past Wednesday especially.

65/58/19/0.60"

At this point didn't want to get too crazy with everything and really knock myself back. I'm 2 degrees warmer than the national consensus on the high and 4 degrees warmer on the low...that's what will sink or propel me tomorrow. If it rains a lot more than I have it won't help but it won't knock me back too terribly far. Even though it will be cloudy and at times rainy all day I don't see why things can't sneak into the mid 60's, especially if the rain temporarily ends or becomes widely scattered during the afternoon. For tonight see them holding steady much of the night...although we'll see if I bust there. 57 or higher really helps me in that regard. Thought about going higher with rain but some of the models keep the heaviest rain east tomorrow morning and some models don't get the front there until after 6z so we'll see.

I really, really hope the 00z hi-res NAM is wrong. It could be 64F at 0545z, and then 47F by 0600z.

All of the models are really close, and even the 0z hi-res NAM only has the front a few miles past the site by 6z. The 0z GFS and 12km NAM appear to be a little slower. Could be a nail-biter.

It's approaching 6z and the mesonet site is sitting at 59 (has been for a few hours) and the dew point is starting to creep up...up to 56 right now. Rain/thicker clouds are approaching from the south and the rain ought to move in by maybe 8z it's looking like. Maybe temps will drop a degree or two as the rain moves in, but right now it's looking like the warmer end of the forecast lows will verify tonight. Only fly in the ointment is the front arriving a bit earlier than expected tomorrow night and dropping temperatures just before 6z. We'll see...

All of the models are really close, and even the 0z hi-res NAM only has the front a few miles past the site by 6z. The 0z GFS and 12km NAM appear to be a little slower. Could be a nail-biter.

00z Hi-Res had the front through by 06z. 06z Hi-Res not quite. The 12z Hi-Res has it just through again. Ugh.

Euro is like a few miles west. GFS and Op. NAM are further west, but they're also worse models. SREFs only have a few members through by 06z, but SREFs are awful.

All things considered, I expect the front to be RIGHT on their doorstep at 06z. It will mean the difference between a low of 58F and a low of 48F. That drop will probably occur over about 20 minutes, so if you're in between those lows, you probably have a single 5-minute obs window for your low.

Based on current observations out of western Kansas, I think the front is just a tiny bit ahead of schedule. Right now my only hope is that, since it's going to be much cloudier and cooler in Oklahoma than the Hi-Res is modeling, that that somehow makes the front progress slightly slower than the Hi-Res would suggest. Which is to say, maybe the weaker frontogenesis means the front takes an extra hour or two to really pull together, or maybe the lack of surface heating prevents such a strong line of storms from developing along the front, which then prevents the front from getting that extra "kick" of wind from aloft to push it ahead faster.

If the front moves with an average speed of ~23mph from here on out, we're probably safe. If it moves with an average speed of ~28mph, it's probably through before 06z.

EDIT: Probably hosed. :(

Based on current observations out of western Kansas, I think the front is just a tiny bit ahead of schedule. Right now my only hope is that, since it's going to be much cloudier and cooler in Oklahoma than the Hi-Res is modeling, that that somehow makes the front progress slightly slower than the Hi-Res would suggest. Which is to say, maybe the weaker frontogenesis means the front takes an extra hour or two to really pull together, or maybe the lack of surface heating prevents such a strong line of storms from developing along the front, which then prevents the front from getting that extra "kick" of wind from aloft to push it ahead faster.

If the front moves with an average speed of ~23mph from here on out, we're probably safe. If it moves with an average speed of ~28mph, it's probably through before 06z.

EDIT: Probably hosed. :(

The 18z hi-res NAM looks a tad faster than 12z. It's probably going to warm another degree or two which will put me above the national consensus despite what precip or winds do later. But this dumb front may come through just in time to screw up both of our warm lows.

The 18z hi-res NAM looks a tad faster than 12z. It's probably going to warm another degree or two which will put me above the national consensus despite what precip or winds do later. But this dumb front may come through just in time to screw up both of our warm lows.

The low is the difference between me being at -1 and a couple points ahead of Nat. Consensus, or me being at +3 and eight points behind. Just like with Newark and Astoria last year, once I fall behind I can't catch a break. My forecast today wasn't bad, but people who went with lows like 53-56 are going to score much better than me, even though that's a terrible low forecast. The actual low is going to be in the 40s.

The low is the difference between me being at -1 and a couple points ahead of Nat. Consensus, or me being at +3 and eight points behind. Just like with Newark and Astoria last year, once I fall behind I can't catch a break. My forecast today wasn't bad, but people who went with lows like 53-56 are going to score much better than me, even though that's a terrible low forecast. The actual low is going to be in the 40s.

The front still looks to be running a bit ahead of schedule per radar and obs. The ONLY consolation for me is I went 3 degrees warmer than the national consensus for the high...0.08" below on precip...and 1 knot stronger on wind. If Norman can avoid a large storm and winds can hit 19+ knots behind the front, that combined with my good forecast for the high would just about negate my going 4 degrees warmer than the national consensus on the low...which looks more and more likely to bust by about half an hour. I'd still feel extremely jipped, probably more so than day 2.

As for tomorrow the questions become...how strong are the winds post front and will they still be strong after 6z...how much rain falls after 6z...and how much can temperatures recover in the afternoon? If today's low busts I'd really have nothing to loose for Norman by throwing up hail mary type forecasts for the next 3 days since if I understand correctly our worst city doesn't count towards our cumulative score.

Archived