Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
WxChallenge 2013-14

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BUFKIT is just OUN, no K at the beginning.

Yeah that was weird.  I had to look it up, since I was perplexed when BUFGET said profiles couldn't be found for KOUN.

Anyway...

77/64/23/0.07"

The RAP is throwing out something like 1.30" of rain with thunderstorms overnight, so let's see if that verifies.

78/63/21/0.03"

Decided to go with some rather aggressive calls here...that's what I get for forecasting on very little sleep at the end of a packed day :lol:

For the high figured that with the models showing a good amount of mid-level drying that a fair amount of sun will be seen tomorrow...perhaps more than OUN is thinking. That in combination with 850mb temps warming to near +16C may allow temperatures a few degrees warmer than MOS to verify. NAM MOS was something like 81, didn't want to go that warm. For the low tonight figured temps would hold steady in the mid 60's, but did give a couple of degrees in case either rain or a bit of radiational cooling pulls things down a tad. Figured the majority of the rain will stay north of Norman, but with just about every piece of guidance I looked at spitting out at least something did throw a light amount of precip in.

75/63/16/0

NAM/HRRRRR/RAP are throwing out showers tonight but most of those models have convection already initating down near Lubbock, which is not happening. So I went with zero based on the feeling (a la GFS) that the forcing will be too weak to start anything over night and if it does it will be scattered and light. 

With high clouds most of the day and WAA the lapse rates in the lowest km or so arn't spectacular and as such I went only 16 kts (which is one of the weird kts #'s that I get to verify even if the wind speed is 18.98 mph) and since the station measures sustained speed to the .1 then I have a better chance of making it.

Was that wind gust this morning an OFB or something? It seems irregular to the other obs.

I think its legitimate. KOUN reported a light shower (615-635z) which is around the time when the highest wind occurred at NRMN. I believe that is what caused the brief spike in winds.

KOUN 290635Z AUTO 15021G28KT 10SM -RA OVC011 18/18 A3000 AO2 matches NRMN obs too.

NRMN

20131029 0635   66.0   16.7     0.0020131029 0630   66.0   18.7     0.00

I think its legitimate. KOUN reported a light shower (615-635z) which is around the time when the highest wind occurred at NRMN. I believe that is what caused the brief spike in winds.

KOUN 290635Z AUTO 15021G28KT 10SM -RA OVC011 18/18 A3000 AO2 matches NRMN obs too.

I find it frustrating that this obs is the only flaw in my bullishly low (but correct!) wind forecast today. If the OFB hadn't of happened I would be 17th in nation with -10std. dev... DARN YOU OFB!

75/63/16/0

NAM/HRRRRR/RAP are throwing out showers tonight but most of those models have convection already initating down near Lubbock, which is not happening. So I went with zero based on the feeling (a la GFS) that the forcing will be too weak to start anything over night and if it does it will be scattered and light. 

With high clouds most of the day and WAA the lapse rates in the lowest km or so arn't spectacular and as such I went only 16 kts (which is one of the weird kts #'s that I get to verify even if the wind speed is 18.98 mph) and since the station measures sustained speed to the .1 then I have a better chance of making it.

17 is the one that has two mph values, not 16. :P

Toughest forecast yet!

77/67/21/0.42

^^  Why not right?

77 may not verify but it was 76 today with clouds so 77 is reasonable with a bit more WAA. 67 is bottom due to high DP's. 21 kts is what I think it will get to but throw in convection and it wouldn't surprise me to see 25-30. I went with the GFS version of the timing of the precip because it is better handling the situation with former TS Raymond and the tropical connection there. If it's just a little bit off on the timing (ie. precip core farther west)  though I could see 1-2" as a possibility.

78/66/27/0.45"

Figuring with slightly warmer ML temps and a bit of sun tomorrow they may verify a couple of degrees warmer than today. I think they'll stay warmer tonight than last night by a little bit, and also think they may not drop a ton before 6z Thursday...BUT with chances for convection throughout just went with persistence on the low. For the wind shot high, am hopeful for a nice outflow boundary. The national consensus is 21 knots for the wind and looking at the distribution if we can hit 25 knots it will help me, so a tiny bit of wiggle room there. As for precip, I shot lower than some of the hi-res models and higher than the GFS/Euro. It will probably rain, but it's anyone's guess how much occurs. There seemed to be some trend on the models of the best rain missing just to the south or east so I feel good being a tad below the national consensus on the rainfall, but really anything could happen.

Went with 76/68/20/0. I just don't see much in the way of forcing just like today. Plus I think the upper low swings out slower than expected leaving the precipitation to fall during the day 3 period. 

If they get no precip tomorrow, you have the low and wind right, but you're way low on the high I think. If they get no precip tomorrow, they'll have more sunshine than today and start out warmer... 80F+ isn't out of the question in that case.

If they get no precip tomorrow, you have the low and wind right, but you're way low on the high I think. If they get no precip tomorrow, they'll have more sunshine than today and start out warmer... 80F+ isn't out of the question in that case.

Still should be plenty of high and mid level cloudiness. I think 79 is the highest it would get tomorrow. Heck KOUN wound up colder than NRMN? I definitely know KOKC wound up 1F warmer than NRMN and GFS has KOKC getting to 79F, so if you'd assume same 1F bias on the model because it forecasted 75F for KOKC today than it would get to 80F tomorrow and NRMN would be 79F. I don't mind the 3F error that's what I got today.

Wednesday is the biggest spread of the contest so far this year. Judging by the temperature trends, the low might not drop below 69-70 until it rains (or maybe before 06 Z Thurs).

74/67/18/0.10

Maybe I'm too low on the precip but the GFS had the activity initiating near or east of Norman. I'm glad to gamble on the low end this time.

Archived