• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe risk for Wednesday 4/10

The SPC has placed the region in a slight risk for severe storms Wednesday. Concerns for any severe weather are present with regards moisture/instabilty advection, frontal placement and any cloud cover already in place. Not to impressed on this set-up but strong to severe storms can't be ruled out. Will add another thread for reports, if needed.  

cant wait for the front to blow through and bring back avg temps.

to warm to fast

Believe it or not, I kind of agree with you. Every year we get this. I love the warm/hot weather, but when it gets this warm this fast, normal temps fell somewhat "coolish" afterward.

30C temp differential between 850mb and 500mb forecast today. That's quite the lapse rate.

Maybe the EML can produce? we'll see.

HRRR and the hi-res nam seem to be honing in North of the city for the best chance. ( just like lassssssssssst year....)

yqa5u7ag.jpg

But what if you are supposed to play tennis (like I am this evening)?

As long as it holds off until after 7 PM, it works fine for me.

Works for me as well!  I know exactly what you're feeling.  I think it was 2009, but it may have actually been 2010 - I had tennis regularly scheduled for Wednesday evenings, and it seemed like storms rolled in around 6 PM every week.  The guy I played against moved to Reading last year, so I guess I've kind of retired.

Today's setup is a great reminder why the calendar matters for certain setups around here. There is an excellent EML and placement for our region to see any peripheral impacts. But because it is early April and not early June, our moisture source downright blows. Our low level moisture / theta-e is advecting from the Ohio Valley / Midwest and there is actually a dry pocket east of the Appalachians to our south with the ridge. A couple months later with a deep moist flow up the East Coast, summer-style, would promote a favorable pattern for a derecho/MCS etc.

Don't get me wrong, today is a nice setup and I can't believe the MLLR with it!!! But the CAPE will not reflect that kind of anomaly given the meager moisture return. Maybe we'll see this again over the summer..... meh...

the models were too high on the surface dews today for sure. I was a bit suspicious of the low 60s being forecast given the westerly flow and the time of year..nevertheless 50s dews in early Spring can be enough for severe. Will be interesting to see if that cluster in western PA can build southward enough and hold together to affect you guys...i also wonder what happens once that seabreeze/backdoor cold front showing up on radar races in this evening. 

At least the backdoor came through. It was brutally hot for April. Not a bad thunderstorm here around 1030 pm.  I had to go find my garbage pail lids this morning.

Even up here in sw CT i was pleasantly surprised with the remnants of the first Poconos round...nothing severe of course because we were well east in the cool sector, but the over all structure hung on as this shelf cloud rolled in with a weak gust front. Lightning display wasnt bad either.

post-402-0-66052100-1365684926_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-63991900-1365684940_thumb.jpg

Even up here in sw CT i was pleasantly surprised with the remnants of the first Poconos round...nothing severe of course because we were well east in the cool sector, but the over all structure hung on as this shelf cloud rolled in with a weak gust front. Lightning display wasnt bad either.

047.jpg

056.jpg

Great pictures!!

Archived