SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/7-3/8 lgt snow/rain obs

tombo82685

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still nothing falling from the sky here, but, in the past hour, the sky has gotten noticeably darker and more threatening.... so that drizzle is getting close.  

EDIT:  Just looking at some NWS obs, and, besides EWR reporting rain/snow mix, it appears that McGuire AFB in central Burlington Co., NJ is reporting the dreaded "unknown precip."  Unless the equipment is just plain malfunctioning, there is a decent chance (i.e. in other words, I am hoping) it is showing some sleet mixing in.  

There are rumblings in the NYC forum that the RGEM is farther west with precip.

The 18z, compared to the 12z, is maybe 20 miles farther west with the 2.5 mm (~0.1") contour, but at this point we're really just splitting hairs.

SN_000-048_0000.gif

Meanwhile, 41.4/33 with light rain falling now.

Mr. Awesome Ray, what's your forecast for tonight? ;)

Sorry... frustrated about being stuck in Elko with a hiring freeze looming large thanks to the sequester, and seeing people forget that there was someone with a degree who actually had a decent forecast on Wednesday is frustrating.

Anyway... coating to 2 inches for TTN area.  Probably a little less down your way.

Can anyone explain the 2-4" amounts in the NWS-Philly snowfall map from 5:28 pm (did they forget to change the map - looks like the last one) vs. the 1-3" amounts for most counties in north/central Jersey (except Sussex/Morris, which have 2-4" WWA's) and the 1-2" amounts in the AFD?  Wish I knew how to paste the snowfall map in here - any help on that?  Link is below, but if they update it, we'll never know what I was looking at.  Thanks...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/StormTotalSnow/stormtotal.php

AFD says much less, i.e., up to 2" in Sussex/Morris to <1" S/E of I-95 (right about where I am in Middlesex):

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS TONIGHT ARE FORECAST TO RANGE FROM UP TO TWO INCHES ACROSS SUSSEX AND MORRIS COUNTIES TO LESS THAN AN INCH NEAR AND SOUTH OF THE I195 CORRIDOR OVER NJ, DE AND MD AND NEAR AND SOUTH OF A TTN TO ABE LINE OVER PA....NORTHEASTERN AND EAST CENTRAL AREAS WILL SEE A LITTLE BIT OF ADDITIONAL SNOW, BUT WE WILL BE DEALING WITH A MARCH SUN ANGLE THAT WILL TAMP DOWN ANY MORNING ACCUMULATIONS.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

HWO says:

SOME SNOW TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING SHOULD ACCUMULATE 1 TO AS MUCH AS 3 INCHES WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS THE FARTHER NORTH ONE GOES. THE SNOW COULD RESULT IN SLIPPERY CONDITIONS ON UNTREATED SURFACES.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NJZ012&warncounty=NJC023&firewxzone=NJZ012&local_place1=&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook

Sorry... frustrated about being stuck in Elko with a hiring freeze looming large thanks to the sequester, and seeing people forget that there was someone with a degree who actually had a decent forecast on Wednesday is frustrating.

Anyway... coating to 2 inches for TTN area.  Probably a little less down your way.

elevation playing a role? Sitting here in eastern Northampton county at 246', and 41/30, I'm thinking a slushy inch or so is all that I can bank on. Maybe a couple inches up in the Slate Belt

Will staff be cut in Elko? Best wishes, hope all works out

Ray - you're one of the best pros on these boards - hopefully things work out for you. 

elevation playing a role? Sitting here in eastern Northampton county at 246', and 41/30, I'm thinking a slushy inch or so is all that I can bank on. Maybe a couple inches up in the Slate Belt

Will staff be cut in Elko? Best wishes, hope all works out

Yes higher elevations will get more tonight because it'll take a while for the BL to cool off, but I think accumulating snow will get down to the lowlands north/east of PHL.

I don't know about cuts, but talk right now is along the lines of eliminating all transfers.  So I'll be stuck in the middle-of-nowhere for the foreseeable future.  I foresaw this possibility when I started bidding on jobs back east actively, 2 1/2 years ago, but didn't think I'd fail completely. 

Yes higher elevations will get more tonight because it'll take a while for the BL to cool off, but I think accumulating snow will get down to the lowlands north/east of PHL.

I don't know about cuts, but talk right now is along the lines of eliminating all transfers.  So I'll be stuck in the middle-of-nowhere for the foreseeable future.  I foresaw this possibility when I started bidding on jobs back east actively, 2 1/2 years ago, but didn't think I'd fail completely. 

Dude, don't be down on yourself.  Use the props in the Philly paper to your advantage...keep positive...I know it's tough to do but you have to sell yourself as the best candidate...be willing to engage in office politics...and understand that things will ultimately work out in time.  If it's not the NWS there are some private sector jobs in this market in the industry that may be up your alley down the line.  I'm sure you know this.

Don't let it get you down...use it as motivation that you're better and that eventually it will pay off.

I see why you're frustrated. But with the internet, it feels like you're back east here with all of us!

Dude, don't be down on yourself.  Use the props in the Philly paper to your advantage...keep positive...I know it's tough to do but you have to sell yourself as the best candidate...be willing to engage in office politics...and understand that things will ultimately work out in time.  If it's not the NWS there are some private sector jobs in this market in the industry that may be up your alley down the line.  I'm sure you know this.

Don't let it get you down...use it as motivation that you're better and that eventually it will pay off.

Its hard.  The NWS hasn't really been hiring "best candidates" lately.  I've been told, unofficially, that they've been hiring the "convenient" candidate, ones that cost less money.  So its hard to feel enthusiastic, because now it looks like that unofficial policy will become official.  It doesn't help that the Union is unwilling to negotiate on transfer moving costs, which is a big reason for NWS leaning towards "convenience". 

I'm just so incredibly frustrated.

I see why you're frustrated. But with the internet, it feels like you're back east here with all of us!

Hehe, yeah, I think the next step is to set up an actual web cam back at my parents, then at least when it snows or rains or whatever's back there, I can watch from here.

Archived