• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 6-7 banter thread

tombo82685

Ray, you did a great job this week.  When I see other people guessing at high totals and see you talking about a coating to 2 inches, I know to dial down my expectations.  I know I would rather have a storm exceed my expectations than be let down.  I don't understand why so many people seem to want to follow the guys who almost always erroneously predict the highest amount of snow.  Is it some kind of adrenaline rush thing that I just don't understand?  If one guy predicts 4" and another guy predicts 12" and you wind up with 6", wouldn't you be much more likely to put your trust next time in the guy who was only off by 2"?  Yet it seems like the opposite is true in the land of the weather weenies.

I busted low today ;)

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, since people were talking about the biggest busts, this one will always be the one I think of that let me down the most.  Only time I ever remember Philly being under a PDS Tornado Watch.  Even the local forecast on The Weather Channel was ominous that Sunday - the picture for that day's weather showed a large tornado and the text even said "destructive tornadoes possible."

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 358 

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 

150 PM EDT SUN MAY 11 2003

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF 

CENTRAL NEW YORK

CENTRAL AND EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA

LAKE ONTARIO

EFFECTIVE THIS SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 150 PM UNTIL 700

PM EDT.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

DESTRUCTIVE TORNADOES...LARGE HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...

THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 80 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE

POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS ALONG AND 65 STATUTE MILES EAST AND WEST

OF A LINE FROM 50 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HARRISBURG PENNSYLVANIA TO 15

MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF WATERTOWN NEW YORK.

REMEMBER...A TORNADO WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR

TORNADOES AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH AREA.

PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THREATENING

WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS AND POSSIBLE

WARNINGS.

I remember that one -- that was a pretty bad bust as well.

Ray, you did a great job this week.  When I see other people guessing at high totals and see you talking about a coating to 2 inches, I know to dial down my expectations.  I know I would rather have a storm exceed my expectations than be let down.  I don't understand why so many people seem to want to follow the guys who almost always erroneously predict the highest amount of snow.  Is it some kind of adrenaline rush thing that I just don't understand?  If one guy predicts 4" and another guy predicts 12" and you wind up with 6", wouldn't you be much more likely to put your trust next time in the guy who was only off by 2"?  Yet it seems like the opposite is true in the land of the weather weenies.

This is the one thing I have taken from the last two crappy winters overall and it has kept my sanity in check because of it. That and the NAM is a college student that drank to much 4loko.

Archived