joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 9th-11th Potential Significant Winter Storm

prinsburg_wx

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z NAM lowered qpf totals for c s MN, mainly a n MN heavy snow event...either the model is still that bad within the 24hr range or it's right.

It is bad. In reality the NAM has become better since it first came out in 2006, but the globals have continued to improve much faster. We are a little pampered with guidance such as the ECMWF/GFS/UKMET/CMC, etc. The NAM has its strong points, but it really desperately needs an overhaul.

It is bad. In reality the NAM has become better since it first came out in 2006, but the globals have continued to improve much faster. We are a little pampered with guidance such as the ECMWF/GFS/UKMET/CMC, etc. The NAM has its strong points, but it really desperately needs an overhaul.

This is what I posted a few minutes ago on the Minnesota Forecaster site....

"I haven't looked to see what the surface observations are at this time vs what the models were showing, and that may be a critical error on my part. But based on the 09/12z Euro, the higher 15k resolution of the FIM model suite as of 09/12z and the 09/18z GEM REG model (which by the way was given major upgrade just before the winter season), I am sticking with my 6" at MSP, and in NW Hennepin county more like 8-10" The caveat that I have seen, is that the GEMREG model keeps most of the winter mix south of the metro. AS a matter of fact it stalls this system for about 6 hrs, as the center of the low gets between the metro and Eau Claire. IMO the gem regular was a big winner in the last storm that impacted the ARX county warned area around Madison, and was spot on showing no snow in NW IL, until late. If the 18z run of the GEM is correct we could see a surprise. So my forecast of 6" at MSP and 8 to 10 in NW Hennipen county is above average but not high.

I agree the NAM is junk for cold season forecasting, at these latitudes it does much better with warm season storms.

I believe dynamic cooling could be a huge issue with this storm when it comes to the Twin Cities metro.

This is what I posted a few minutes ago on the Minnesota Forecaster site....

"I haven't looked to see what the surface observations are at this time vs what the models were showing, and that may be a critical error on my part. But based on the 09/12z Euro, the higher 15k resolution of the FIM model suite as of 09/12z and the 09/18z GEM REG model (which by the way was given major upgrade just before the winter season), I am sticking with my 6" at MSP, and in NW Hennepin county more like 8-10" The caveat that I have seen, is that the GEMREG model keeps most of the winter mix south of the metro. AS a matter of fact it stalls this system for about 6 hrs, as the center of the low gets between the metro and Eau Claire. IMO the gem regular was a big winner in the last storm that impacted the ARX county warned area around Madison, and was spot on showing no snow in NW IL, until late. If the 18z run of the GEM is correct we could see a surprise. So my forecast of 6" at MSP and 8 to 10 in NW Hennipen county is above average but not high.

I agree the NAM is junk for cold season forecasting, at these latitudes it does much better with warm season storms.

I believe dynamic cooling could be a huge issue with this storm when it comes to the Twin Cities metro.

0z RGEM continues to develope a narrow band of precip sw of the L as it nears MSP which could add to the higher totals MPX is forecasting for that area....the 0z run is a little nw with this compared to the 12z run. GFS has something similar but further se.

0z RGEM continues to develope a narrow band of precip sw of the L as it nears MSP which could add to the higher totals MPX is forecasting for that area....the 0z run is a little nw with this compared to the 12z run. GFS has something similar but further se.

I know this time frame is not the same as you showed, but you could back up your site with this one, showing the precip type. at the same hours.

PT_PN_018_0000.gif

I would love to see your map with this one, for each 3hr period.

Here is the link I'm using....

http://meteocentre.com/models/models.php?mod=gemreg&map=na&run=00〈=en

I know this time frame is not the same as you showed, but you could back up your site with this one, showing the precip type. at the same hours.

PT_PN_018_0000.gif

I would love to see your map with this one, for each 3hr period.

Here is the link I'm using....

http://meteocentre.com/models/models.php?mod=gemreg&map=na&run=00〈=en

I'm using the low resolution rgem for my maps...that link you have is the high resolution but here is my model link page, the rgem i have is for every 3hr period.

http://www.plainsweather.com/wxmap/model

I'm using the low resolution rgem for my maps...that link you have is the high resolution but here is my model link page, the rgem i have is for every 3hr period.

http://www.plainsweather.com/wxmap/model

Wonderful...moved it into my top ten model pages....will have to play around with it love that it shows the north central Reg Gem, E-Wall no longer has it

Just uploaded my first TrendCast (http://smartwxmodel.net/update.htm) run for the upper plains area.  A few highlighted locations were Watertown, Valentine, Chandler Field

Watertown Weather Progression: Continued light snow through 10/17Z, then increasing to heavier snows from 17Z to 01Z, with snowfall rates of .5"/hr during that time.  Looking at around 9" of snow possible for this region.

Chandler Weather Progression: Steady light snow will begin around 11Z and increase in intensity around 18Z to 01Z, with snowfall rates of .5 to .7"/hr possible.  Looking at around 8" of snow possible

Huron Weather Progression: Looking at snow to begin around 09Z and increasing in intensity around 10/14Z to 11/00Z.  Seeing snowfall rates of .5 to .6"/hr during this time and winds NW at 22G30 to 35Kts.  Snow accumulations of 7-10" possible

ok got it, they should be coming in during the next 40minutes,  I just don't trust the American models with this system, it's a sad comment to be sure, but the foreign models seem to be preforming better

I have the stormvista euro maps but doesn't give me the raw qpf numbers so it'll be interesting to see what the euro shows for KOVL. Here are some numbers from the other 0z models tonight for KOVL.

CMC  0.77

GFS   0.87

NAM   0.64

RGEM 0.88

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ABERDEEN SD1119 PM CST SAT FEB 09 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..1100 PM     SNOW             ABERDEEN                45.47N  98.48W02/09/2013  M2.7 INCH        BROWN              SD   NWS OFFICE            STORM TOTAL THUS FAR. 2.5 INCHES IN ONE HOUR FROM 10PM            TO 11PM CST.

looking on the various outputs for here in the twin cities, i have to admit, i do not know what p-type i'll be getting in the morning. the 04z rap says snow, the nam i think says snow with a risk of a sleet mix, the gfs is saying more like a sleet/frz rain mix, the canadian i think has us right on the line between liquid and snow. i hate sitting that close to changeover lines.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0137   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0646 AM CST SUN FEB 10 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF SRN AND CNTRL MN...ERN SD AND FAR SE ND      CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW       VALID 101246Z - 101845Z      SUMMARY...SNOWFALL WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE/INTENSITY THROUGH   MIDDAY. RATES MAY APPROACH 1-1.5 INCHES PER HOUR AT TIMES.   ADDITIONALLY...SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW DUE TO BREEZY ELY   WINDS WILL RESULT IN REDUCED VISIBILITY AND HAZARDOUS TRAVEL   CONDITIONS.      DISCUSSION...THE SFC LOW OVER SW NEB HAS BEGUN TO LIFT NEWD INTO   CNTRL NEB THE LAST COUPLE OF HOURS. AS THE LOW CONTINUES TO TRACK   TOWARD NW IA/SRN MN...BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL FILL IN   ACROSS THE MCD AREA...AS FAVORABLE DEFORMATION ZONE SHIFTS EWD.   SNOWFALL RATES WILL FIRST INCREASE ACROSS ERN SD INTO SW MN THROUGH   15Z THIS MORNING. THEREAFTER...HIGHER RATES/HEAVIER SNOW BAND SHOULD   PIVOT NORTHWARD TOWARD CENTRAL MN...INCLUDING THE TWIN CITIES METRO   AREA. AT LEAST SOME WEAK ELEVATED INSTABILITY THROUGH FAVORABLE   DENDRITIC GROWTH LAYER IS EVIDENT IN FORECAST SOUNDINGS AND RECENT   LIGHTNING STRIKES ACROSS FAR N-CNTRL IA CONFIRM THIS. AS   SUCH...CONVECTIVELY ENHANCED SNOW BANDS MAY RESULT IN RATES OF 1-1.5   INCHES AN HOUR AT TIMES. ADDITIONALLY...BREEZY ELY SFC WINDS AROUND   15-25 MPH WILL LEAD TO BLOWING/DRIFTING SNOW AND REDUCE VISIBILITIES   OF LESS THAN 1/2 MILE...CREATING HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

looking on the various outputs for here in the twin cities, i have to admit, i do not know what p-type i'll be getting in the morning. the 04z rap says snow, the nam i think says snow with a risk of a sleet mix, the gfs is saying more like a sleet/frz rain mix, the canadian i think has us right on the line between liquid and snow. i hate sitting that close to changeover lines.

12z sounding shows a very small warm layer...depicted by the NAM yesterday. The RAP depicts that for another couple hrs before all snow across the Cities as the upper low tracks NE and heights tank.

post-999-0-40701400-1360510931_thumb.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0137   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0646 AM CST SUN FEB 10 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF SRN AND CNTRL MN...ERN SD AND FAR SE ND      CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW       VALID 101246Z - 101845Z      SUMMARY...SNOWFALL WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE/INTENSITY THROUGH   MIDDAY. RATES MAY APPROACH 1-1.5 INCHES PER HOUR AT TIMES.   ADDITIONALLY...SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW DUE TO BREEZY ELY   WINDS WILL RESULT IN REDUCED VISIBILITY AND HAZARDOUS TRAVEL   CONDITIONS.      DISCUSSION...THE SFC LOW OVER SW NEB HAS BEGUN TO LIFT NEWD INTO   CNTRL NEB THE LAST COUPLE OF HOURS. AS THE LOW CONTINUES TO TRACK   TOWARD NW IA/SRN MN...BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL FILL IN   ACROSS THE MCD AREA...AS FAVORABLE DEFORMATION ZONE SHIFTS EWD.   SNOWFALL RATES WILL FIRST INCREASE ACROSS ERN SD INTO SW MN THROUGH   15Z THIS MORNING. THEREAFTER...HIGHER RATES/HEAVIER SNOW BAND SHOULD   PIVOT NORTHWARD TOWARD CENTRAL MN...INCLUDING THE TWIN CITIES METRO   AREA. AT LEAST SOME WEAK ELEVATED INSTABILITY THROUGH FAVORABLE   DENDRITIC GROWTH LAYER IS EVIDENT IN FORECAST SOUNDINGS AND RECENT   LIGHTNING STRIKES ACROSS FAR N-CNTRL IA CONFIRM THIS. AS   SUCH...CONVECTIVELY ENHANCED SNOW BANDS MAY RESULT IN RATES OF 1-1.5   INCHES AN HOUR AT TIMES. ADDITIONALLY...BREEZY ELY SFC WINDS AROUND   15-25 MPH WILL LEAD TO BLOWING/DRIFTING SNOW AND REDUCE VISIBILITIES   OF LESS THAN 1/2 MILE...CREATING HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

WCB pretty easy to see on both WV/Vis this morning. Strong height falls/mid level cooling as the upper low tanks heights resulting in convective elements feeding the deformation band. Farther W across the eastern Dakotas...smooth cloud band is the inverted trof/mid level warm front which will produce most of the snow for those areas.

post-999-0-09316000-1360511549_thumb.jpg

Surface obs, twitter pics, news report all show things quickly turning to snow now. Going to rip for a few hours, hope you enjoy it. 

reports of 7 -8" around ABR & ne SD.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ABERDEEN SD938 AM CST SUN FEB 10 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0935 AM     HEAVY SNOW       1 S CHELSEA             45.15N  98.74W02/10/2013  M11.0 INCH       FAULK              SD   PUBLIC            COOP REPORTS 11 INCHES OF NEW SNOW

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ABERDEEN SD1031 AM CST SUN FEB 10 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..1028 AM     BLIZZARD         WATERTOWN               44.91N 97.17W02/10/2013                   CODINGTON          SD   DEPT OF HIGHWAYS            I-29 SHUT DOWN FROM NORTH DAKOTA BORDER TO WATERTOWN DUE            TO HEAVY SNOW AND ONSET OF BLIZZARD CONDITIONS

Archived