Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 9th-11th Potential Significant Winter Storm

prinsburg_wx

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here you go MNWeather.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0140   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1257 PM CST SUN FEB 10 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...ERN ND...NRN MN...NWRN WI      CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW       VALID 101857Z - 110000Z      SUMMARY...A SWATH OF HEAVY SNOWFALL IS FORECAST TO CONTINUE TO SHIFT   NWD AHEAD OF A CYCLONE POSITIONED OVER THE MID-MO VALLEY. RATES OF   1-1.5 IN/HR CAN BE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS ERN ND...NRN MN...AND   FAR NWRN WI.      DISCUSSION...18Z SFC ANALYSIS PLACES A SFC LOW NEAR KSUX...WITH AN   ATTENDANT OCCLUDED FRONT EXTENDING S-SEWD ACROSS SWRN IA AND WRN MO.   IR/WATER VAPOR SATELLITE IMAGERY REFLECT AN ASSOCIATED MATURE UPPER   CYCLONE...WITH AN ATTENDANT SWATH OF CLOUD COVER/PRECIPITATION   EXPANDING N-NEWD TOWARDS THE CANADIAN BORDER. ISENTROPIC LIFT WITHIN   THE WRN BRANCH OF THE WARM CONVEYOR BELT...COMBINED WITH MID-LEVEL   DCVA AND UPPER DIVERGENCE...WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE SUFFICIENT   DEEP-LAYER ASCENT TO MAINTAIN SNOWFALL RATES OF 1-1.5 IN/HR WITHIN   THIS AREA OF PRECIPITATION. ADDITIONALLY...SOME LOCALIZED CONVECTIVE   ENHANCEMENT OF RATES MAY OCCUR AS MORNING OBSERVED SOUNDINGS AND   MODEL FORECAST SOUNDINGS INDICATE A LAYER OF STEEP MID-LEVEL LAPSE   RATES CO-LOCATED WITH THE DENDRITIC GROWTH LAYER. AN ABRUPT   CESSATION TO PRECIPITATION WILL OCCUR ALONG THE SRN EDGE OF THE   PRECIPITATION SWATH LATER THIS AFTERNOON ALONG THE LEADING EDGE OF A   DRY AIR INTRUSION WRAPPING AROUND THE CYCLONE...BUT ENHANCED RATES   SHOULD PERSIST ACROSS MOST OF THE HIGHLIGHTED AREA THROUGH 00Z.      ..ROGERS.. 02/10/2013   

post-999-0-00258200-1360525077_thumb.gif

How much do you estimate has fallen in GFK?

Its so tough to say with the blowing snow factor... We had a nice little band come through the area but it was quick... I wouldn't say more than 1.5/2 inches though.  This little shield up here looks to be drying up compared to earlier.  There's enough powder to make travel hectic later though when the wind really kicks in.

Its so tough to say with the blowing snow factor... We had a nice little band come through the area but it was quick... I wouldn't say more than 1.5/2 inches though.  This little shield up here looks to be drying up compared to earlier.  There's enough powder to make travel hectic later though when the wind really kicks in.

I miss ND ground blizzards, they are truly impressive events. Few places in this country can combine the very dry powder, cold air advection patterns, and the flat expanses to develop such blizzards.

I miss ND ground blizzards, they are truly impressive events. Few places in this country can combine the very dry powder, cold air advection patterns, and the flat expanses to develop such blizzards.

I really hope this potential ground blizzard over performs... I was out of town for the one really nice one we had.  Hoping the winds really crank later.

Likewise. All weather fanatics should try to experience the classic Red River Valley ground blizzard at some point in his/her life. It's something so difficult to replicate anywhere else in the country.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ABERDEEN SD

210 PM CST SUN FEB 10 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

1159 AM HEAVY SNOW 9 NW WEBSTER 45.42N 97.65W

02/10/2013 M16.5 INCH DAY SD COCORAHS

VERIFIED COCORAHS REPORT... 1.87 IN LIQUID EQUIVALENT

Interesting radar feature over west of Cooperstown, ND... its been consistent and growing for a few scans now.  Looks like some pretty heavy snow.  Could this be the start of a new deformation band trying to form?  It appears that there is a little bit of filling in as far east as here in GFK.  We could be in a decent spot for the pivot if this is a new band forming.  Obviously nothing like the south,  but I was giving up hope for more than 2 inches but maybe we could squeeze another couple out if this trend keeps going.

Interesting radar feature over west of Cooperstown, ND... its been consistent and growing for a few scans now.  Looks like some pretty heavy snow.  Could this be the start of a new deformation band trying to form?  It appears that there is a little bit of filling in as far east as here in GFK.  We could be in a decent spot for the pivot if this is a new band forming.  Obviously nothing like the south,  but I was giving up hope for more than 2 inches but maybe we could squeeze another couple out if this trend keeps going.

Looks like the heavier band made it to GFK... :thumbsup:

I live in east grand forks MN   and blowing and snowing hard here since about 530 or so....    nothing horrible vsby wise  but bad enough.    Hard to estimate but would guess 4-5 new snow....

quite the gradient still from even EGF to the airport I imagine....

I seen on media FB pages up to 24 inches in SE Richland county ND   Fairmount.     UND hockey team is stranded overnight staying at the Summit SD community center as I-29 closed.

Yup, this storm majorly outperformed my expectations.  I do believe the storm tracked ever so slightly more northwest, causing us to get 4-6 inches here in the south park of Grand Forks.  Of course its tough to tell because of all the drifts... but there is easily consistent 4-5 inches here at our place.  We went to a party tonight when the new deformation band formed and got stuck twice on the way home.  But we got the car back in the garage and everything's okay.

I finished up a set of mids....and spent many a days agonizing over this storm.   Glad it worked out as expected.....Highest I saw on VNL facebook page was 24 inches near Fairmont ND....with many reports of 16-22 Wahpeton to Detroit Lakes to Bemidji.    Models all along pegged this region for the hardest.....  Euro overall was very very stable run to run....GFS not too bad....now its time for the winds to take care of the rest of the snow....

Zack...I did see this eve via the web the sfc low looked to go near Red Wing MN at mid evening....and this was indeed just a tad northwest than models had.....  good news for us.   Was getting tired of all the black snirt.  

I'm just outside of Red Wing.  Had the lowest pressure reading of 29.17 (987.8) about 10:00pm.  Pretty sure it's the lowest reading for the winter season too.  I ended up with .47 rain/zr and about 1.5 of sleet/snow. 

Just to my W/NW (10 miles) there was a few more inches of snow, I was driving in a snow burst a bit past noon and it was really intense with visibility down to 1/8 or less. 

Archived