• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ratios and Precip for our biggest snows

Deck Pic

Really weighed down the trees in the evening part. Around 1.1" for the 8" I got that evening, didn't do the liquid for the 3" in the AM. 

Btw, there wasn't any tssn with 12/19 and 2/10 right? 

Looks like about ~.9" was snow at DCA.

Not sure on other storms. I did hear one rumble on Jan 26.

Nice clip-- love the outlook for tuesday and wednesday- "snow shower"

check out this clip from 2/6/10

look how close the rain gets to DCA/BWI

I know it's overdone, but still looks pretty cool

not to mention the dreaded dry slot closing in but never getting to us

Blzz 83 - 1.94", 16.6", 8.6:1...Sleet?

That's the first station I've seen with under 10-1 ratio other than ILG. That's where I lived and the "official" measurement was 14.6 and the l/e was 1.7. There was NO sleet at all-- even DOV and ACY had like 11-1 ratio or something. THere was TRUE blizzard conditions at ILG for 4-5 hours. I'm not sure what the deal was, but it was closer to 18 inches. I was 2 miles away from ILG. 

2/16/1996 :P

31:1 ? 6.8 off .22

How about 50:1 -- an inch of snow off of 0.02 inches of precipitation -- on 2/20/2008? See http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDCA/2008/2/20/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA. Now, the amount of precipitation could have been as much as 0.0249 inches and rounded down to 0.02 and the amount of snow could have been as little as 0.95 inches and rounded up to 1.0, but that would still be a ratio of 38:1, so I have to believe that someone incorrectly measured either the snow or the precipitation.

Unless you did or have done your own core samples, I'd be hesitant to assign ratios or even believe some of the gauges especially when windy. I'm pretty sure I had over 2.00 inches liquid with the Feb 5-6 event in 2010 and think PD had massive liquid equivalent.

In that storm, the National Weather Service initially reported that the liquid equivalent of the 32.4 inches of snow that fell at Dulles Airport was only 1.60 inches of precipitation. Subsequently,however, the 1.60 inches was drastically revised to 3.45 inches. Similarly, while the revision was not as great at Reagan National, the initial report of only 0.99 inches of precipitation for 17.8 inches of snow was revised to 1.50 inches.

Archived