• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Pitiful in the Keweenaw

So far winter has been pitifil only had one half meaningful lake effect snow which resulted in about 6 inches of snow where I live. Then it warmed up and rained melting pretty much all of it. Then got a couple more inches. The two pictures I took this past Monday. This is the view out of my big south facing windows. You can see the snow in places barely covers the grass. By this time we should have at least a solid two feet of snow. The business are really hurting since there isn't enough snow even with after the three inches we got yesterday and most of that melted underneath. It was more like a white rain yesterday. Temps were 34 degrees all day.

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

WOW. Those pics are unthinkable for the Keewenaw the 3rd week of December.

Yeah very abnormal. We did get a little more after these pictures were taken,but still not close to where we should be. The brunt of the last winter storm missed us to the east. This is what happens when we don't get the Alberta Clippers, that is where we get 85% of our total snow. But it looks like next weekend we are going to get back to a normal pattern. With the lake wide open the lake snow guns will be going fulltime. This is the second December that has been like this.

Yeah very abnormal. We did get a little more after these pictures were taken,but still not close to where we should be. The brunt of the last winter storm missed us to the east. This is what happens when we don't get the Alberta Clippers, that is where we get 85% of our total snow. But it looks like next weekend we are going to get back to a normal pattern. With the lake wide open the lake snow guns will be going fulltime. This is the second December that has been like this.

You need a good supressed pattern to get those clippers. Clippers are nice, generally there isn't much of a warm sector with those storms too... So nobody gets punked in order for you to get snow.

Where a abouts on the Keweenaw are you. My wife and I discovered it returning east via the scenic route late June from a storm chasing trip. Spent a few days in Copper Harbor. Beautiful place and must say we got quite a few interesting looks having NJ plates. Doubt the get many NJ visitors. So glad we took the time to visit! Maybe someday we will make it back to Copper Harbor for the 4th of July as they told us it is a big show in a small town!

The Keweenaw is so reliant on arctic air... None so far this winter.

We need an arctic intrusion to start near eastern Montana and spread east from there... We keep seeing these quasi arctic troughs move down from far eastern ND and western Minnesota and flatten out until this hit the Atlantic. It's going to be below normal this week, but not a ton of LES.

Jon

Where a abouts on the Keweenaw are you. My wife and I discovered it returning east via the scenic route late June from a storm chasing trip. Spent a few days in Copper Harbor. Beautiful place and must say we got quite a few interesting looks having NJ plates. Doubt the get many NJ visitors. So glad we took the time to visit! Maybe someday we will make it back to Copper Harbor for the 4th of July as they told us it is a big show in a small town!

He's on the lower end, I believe. Houghton-ish, if I recall correctly. My wife's family is from up there (here grandfather was born in Calumet) and we make it back every so often. Beautiful in the summer when the east coast is blazing away at 100*.

He's on the lower end, I believe. Houghton-ish, if I recall correctly. My wife's family is from up there (here grandfather was born in Calumet) and we make it back every so often. Beautiful in the summer when the east coast is blazing away at 100*.

Up the hill here in Hancock.

Summers are nicer when there is a good lake breeze. Last summer was a little hotter then normal here.

Here is the update pictures as of just a few minutes ago. Been snowing off and on all day so far. The flakes are real big and fluffy. I did go out and blew about three inches off the driveway. I didn't need to, but I am trying to break the new snowblower engine in. We are still very behind in the snowfall department for this time of year.

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

This is what it normally looks on Christmas eve day here.

CopyofPictureorVideo989.jpg

Keweenaw should be swimming in deep snow by now.

I can understand Washington DC not getting any snow. But Keweenaw with 1-2 inches by Jan 5?

Much of the Keweenaw has around a foot or so... But, you are right... 1 foot to this region is the equivalent of flurries to DC.

Archived