Newest Member
    joxey
SW/Central/SE VA Winter 2012-13 Thread

MidlothianWX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TdWDFdnasq-12.png

If everything goes according to plan, I will be leaving this area next fall and will never again have to suffer through a full winter here (apart from a few weeks on break).

My parents are planning on moving north or west in approx. two years. Richmond winters will do things to you, man.

Christ almighty this blows.

Could be slightly, although I don't think it makes much of a difference because every model has this thing tracking over Norfolk and then backing into VA before stalling. That is what really kills us. This is a game of inches. Latest RAP makes me want to throw up. What could have been if this thing was 25-50 miles SE.

This is going to have an epic gradient.

Here is what falls after the 850's become cold enough. Stuff of legends...

attachicon.gifRAP_255_2013030604_F18_PCPIN_9_HR.png

At this point it's really just become sort of a joke. I can expect it every time if it's not a weak sliding system. This place is an absolute hellhole if you love snow. Dry slot, mixing precip, whatever - if it can happen, it will.

The largest storm I've seen in my nine years of living here has been 13" and that was from a system with zero dynamics. What a joke. I might as well be in the f'ing plains.

This idiot really deserved to be bump trolled.

You are correct in your recollection - that storm did give us a nice wrap-around.

Similar situation/setup overall, except this one is in March. I'm done for the winter now though; this was the final arrow in my already-damaged psyche.

What a friggin' drama queen.

Made a snowfall map for giggles. Still a lot of uncertainty, especially at the northern edges and along the coastal plain.

IiyZ2hs.png

Thoughts/comments?

Going to wait for final snowfall reports tomorrow to a verification map. Other than west of the Blue Ridge in the 8-14" area, I think I did pretty well.

looks like my 8" report from windy hill made the list. the 400' spine from robious rd to midlothian then west to windy hill really cashed in. the big winner that didn't get mentioned was red lane hill with 10" at 500'. i think windy hill is the snow capitol of chesterfield, and red lane hill  is for powhatan. 1/2 - 1 degree and a few hundred feet higher make all the difference in these marginal events.

here is a pic of the batting cage net and pole the collapsed at windy hill

post-4-0-22276800-1362682858_thumb.jpg

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA
1250 PM EST THU MAR 07 2013

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24
HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION
IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN
SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE
ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/WAKEFIELD

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
                     SNOWFALL           OF
                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

VIRGINIA

...CAROLINE COUNTY...
   RUTHER GLEN            8.0   330 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER
   4 W BOWLING GREEN      5.0   400 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER
   LADYSMITH              5.0  1205 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER

...CHESTERFIELD COUNTY...
   2 W MIDLOTHIAN         8.0   300 PM  3/06  PUBLIC
   SALISBURY              6.0  1200 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER
   MOSELEY                4.0   400 PM  3/06  NWS EMPLOYEE
   BON AIR                2.5   300 PM  3/06  MAIN ROADS SLUSHY
   1 WSW EDENSHIRE        1.0   200 PM  3/06  NWS EMPLOYEE
   1 E ENON               0.5   100 PM  3/06  NWS EMPLOYEE

...CITY OF RICHMOND...
   1 WNW FAWNBROOK        1.0   300 PM  3/06  NWS EMPLOYEE

...FLUVANNA COUNTY...
   PALMYRA                9.0   300 PM  3/06  EMERGENCY MNGR

...GOOCHLAND COUNTY...
   LOWER TUCKAHOE         4.5   300 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER

...HANOVER COUNTY...
   BEAVERDAM              6.0   300 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER

...HENRICO COUNTY...
   GLEN ALLEN             4.0  1200 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER
   RICHMOND               1.5   155 PM  3/06  ASOS
   VARINA                 0.2   505 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER

...KING AND QUEEN COUNTY...
   1 N NEWTOWN            1.5   330 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER

...LOUISA COUNTY...
   1 NNW LOUISA          13.6   300 PM  3/06  2.11 INCHES OF PCPN
   1 NNE ZION CROSSROAD   9.6   300 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER
   BLUE RIDGE SHORES      6.0   230 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER

...POWHATAN COUNTY...
   2 E ROCK CASTLE        6.0   350 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER

...PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY...
   FARMVILLE              3.0   300 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER

...PRINCE GEORGE COUNTY...
   2 NW DISPUTANTA        0.2   100 PM  3/06  NWS EMPLOYEE

***********************PEAK WIND GUST***********************

LOCATION             MAX WIND     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
                        GUST            OF
                         MPH    MEASUREMENT

VIRGINIA

...ANZ634...
   7 SW FISHERMANS ISLA    71   520 PM  3/06  C-MAN STATION

...CITY OF NORFOLK...
   NORFOLK                 51   345 PM  3/06  ASOS

...CITY OF VIRGINIA BEACH...
   OCEANA NAS              61   550 PM  3/06  ASOS

...HENRICO COUNTY...
   RICHMOND                49   320 PM  3/06  ASOS

...MATHEWS COUNTY...
   GWYNN                   57   239 PM  3/06  TRAINED SPOTTER

...NORTHAMPTON COUNTY...
   1 SSW CAPE CHARLES      57   817 PM  3/06  WXFLOW XPLT

akq posted this on facebook showing the crazy difference in 21 miles.

http://www.facebook.com/US.NationalWeatherService.Wakefield.gov

Here's a good example of how tough the snow forecast was across our forecast area yesterday. These two locations are roughly 20 miles apart and you can see what a difference that made. Photo Credit: Michaele Thompson

post-4-0-64774600-1362684504_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-66076600-1362684526_thumb.jpg

The extended has changed again for southeastern VA. The warm up looks more prolonged, with 60's and a few 70's for the area over the course of the next two weeks.

Seriously? You're looking at a deterministic forecast for 6-7+ days from now and you're going to update us on every run? You realize that's not in anyway generated by a human being and is simply straight computer output?

I'm not really sure why the new AKQ reporting system won't take decimal amounts. I wrote in the comment box that my final total was 4.25" but it didn't make the final report. Also, apparently I am an NWS employee now!

MOSELEY                4.0   400 PM  3/06  NWS EMPLOYEE

Are you inflating your numbers now? Looks much higher than most others in the area, Jake.

Seriously? You're looking at a deterministic forecast for 6-7+ days from now and you're going to update us on every run? You realize that's not in anyway generated by a human being and is simply straight computer output?

You didn't seem to have a problem with it yesterday. And yet now, you give an asinine response? I'm ready for Spring, therefore I will post about any potential for Spring weather as I please.

You didn't seem to have a problem with it yesterday. And yet now, you give an asinine response? I'm ready for Spring, therefore I will post about any potential for Spring weather as I please.

After Wednesday's beautiful, wondrous, mesmerizing bust, many of us are looking forward to spring. I know my vegetables are ready for some sun. To speculate based on an extended forecast is fine. In fact, I did a little of it yesterday in the RIC Facebook group. To put out an update every time the GFS runs and the auto-forecast updates, even to give such an update once a day, is annoying.

Are you inflating your numbers now? Looks much higher than most others in the area, Jake.

I believe it....I was at 4 by around 10 am yesterday. It quickly compacted as the heavier precip moved out. I would guess his extra 100-150 ft of elevation probably helped. I sit at around 245 ft at my place.

I believe it....I was at 4 by around 10 am yesterday. It quickly compacted as the heavier precip moved out. I would guess his extra 100-150 ft of elevation probably helped. I sit at around 245 ft at my place.

Jake knows I'm giving him a hard time, lol.

Anthony knows I'm a stickler for quality control :P

Good luck with that no warmth showing up anywhere

The lack of punctuation makes this confusing. Are you saying this sarcastically to the people who think it's going to be cold all month? Or are you saying, "good luck with that, no warmth showing up anywhere?" As in, it isn't warm anywhere? Mind you, I live in the far southeastern fringe of Virginia. Typically, we get to enjoy Spring before the rest of the state does.

The lack of punctuation makes this confusing. Are you saying this sarcastically to the people who think it's going to be cold all month? Or are you saying, "good luck with that, no warmth showing up anywhere?" As in, it isn't warm anywhere? Mind you, I live in the far southeastern fringe of Virginia. Typically, we get to enjoy Spring before the rest of the state does.

It's gon' get cold. And stay cold. Now, "cold" isn't what it might be in Dec/Jan, but an extended with frequent 60s and a few 70s sure doesn't look likely at all.

It's gon' get cold. And stay cold. Now, "cold" isn't what it might be in Dec/Jan, but an extended with frequent 60s and a few 70s sure doesn't look likely at all.

Well, sure the extended isn't as warm as what it was showing last week. It's obvious though, that some of the model guidance is in conflict with say, the Euro, which seems to be more bullish on colder weather.

However, as I live so close to NC, it could easily be 5-10 degrees warmer here, than where you are. So if it's 55 there, it could easily be 60+ down here. That's not always the case. But it happens.

Well, surprisingly, the pear blossom trees and cherry blossom trees are blooming, and the bushes are leafing out now. Maybe the increased daylight is making up for what we're lacking in temperatures. Also noticed some wildflowers blooming along the forest floor in the woods behind the house.

Archived