Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Potential Snow 11/27 - 11/28

NEG NAO

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What??

I don't think surface temps will be a problem... in my 4 years living in NYC I have only seen one event where the city got nothing while the fabled 'north and west suburbs' managed to accumulate (I believe it was in December of '09?). I think we will get a better picture of BL temps once the storm is inside the NAM's range, as it's typically one of the better models for surface temps.

Some really bad posts in this thread regarding the low level temps. Look at the forecast boundary layer. You don't get accumulating snow with 4 C temps from 950mb to the Sfc let alone see snow fall at all especially with light precip rates.

The Euro also doesn't have a 2 F temp bias either, I don't know who decided to make that one up.

Some really bad posts in this thread regarding the low level temps. Look at the forecast boundary layer. You don't get accumulating snow with 4 C temps from 950mb to the Sfc let alone see snow fall at all especially with light precip rates.

The Euro also doesn't have a 2 F temp bias either, I don't know who decided to make that one up.

A lot of people are saying that, not only on this forum. Also, the euro is the coldest out of the bunch. I don't think we should worry about surface temps until we get closer to the event.

As long as the storm starts deepening like the Euro shows though, we should be ok. Getting accumulating snow to the city is going to be a little more difficult but if the Euro is correct the immediate suburbs could see an advisory level event. The GFS remains warmer at the surface and with lighter precipitation and a weaker system we would see many areas have much more trouble cooling the column and getting snow.

agreed with everything you said. especially the 4C temps. i will say this though, the euro track is encouraging, there is a chance for more snow to sneak into city areas (im in nyc) than currently profiled..i do wish the cold air mass wasnt getting stale

EDIT-posted this before i saw your latest post, seems like you have somewhat similar feelings.

Take what you can, this is pretty remarkable stuff for late November to be discussing snow, Novmeber 1995 and 2002 both had solid snows and we all know what followed on...

I don't think we'll get much snow out of this system, it really has to be quite heavy rates for us to stick, it is a different setup than the Nov. 7th one, that was slightly colder airmass coming in, I believe?

Places like Sussex County should do well here.

HWO issued by Mt. Holly:

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

322 PM EST SAT NOV 24 2012

NJZ001-007>010-PAZ054-055-060>062-067>069-252030-

SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-CARBON-MONROE-BERKS-LEHIGH-

NORTHAMPTON-CHESTER-MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-

322 PM EST SAT NOV 24 2012

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTHERN NEW

JERSEY...NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY...EAST CENTRAL

PENNSYLVANIA...NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA AND SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.

A MIXED PRECIPITATION EVENT IS LIKELY ON TUESDAY AND TUESDAY

NIGHT. ACCUMULATING SNOW IS POSSIBLE, WITH THE GREATEST CHANCES

OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN. PLEASE LOOK FOR UPDATED INFORMATION

IN THE COMING DAYS.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

The last storm saw a much more intense sfc low to the east of NJ. I think we'll see a more typical outcome for November in this event, with a wet to slushy deal for those along the coastal plain, and advisory level snows well inland (west of NYC). If we see a stronger solution w/ more pronounced vv's, then maybe something worthwhile for the coast. Right now my guess would be rain to T-2" of slush for a large part of the immediate metro area, eastward over LI and southward down CNJ. Of course even light accumulation would be impressive given how snowy this November's been already.

Archived