• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Nor'easter obs...

NaoPos

Still without power for me, so i had to dig my car out and come into work today. I'm hearing from JCP&L maybe by Sunday it will be back! ha ha ha What an extreme week or two this has been for many of us. Like some posters from Monmouth are saying, there were numerous branches snapping off last night by me and for those that are still hanging on and drooping all the way to the ground, they almost look like Palm trees or something!! ha ha ha I still can't believe we had THIS much snow here in early November!!! Unreal! Anyway, before I lost power I recorded 8.1 inches of snow around 12:30am, then went out early this morning to record the same exact amount. So it's possible I may have received a bit more in between those hours and perhaps it compacted down before my morning reading, but still, 8.1 inches is unfreakin-believable!! ha ha ha Some of my friends on the other side of town are reporting 10 inches. But 8.1 imby.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still without power for me, so i had to dig my car out and come into work today. I'm hearing from JCP&L maybe by Sunday it will be back! ha ha ha What an extreme week or two this has been for many of us. Like some posters from Monmouth are saying, there were numerous branches snapping off last night by me and for those that are still hanging on and drooping all the way to the ground, they almost look like Palm trees or something!! ha ha ha I still can't believe we had THIS much snow here in early November!!! Unreal! Anyway, before I lost power I recorded 8.1 inches of snow around 12:30am, then went out early this morning to record the same exact amount. So it's possible I may have received a bit more in between those hours and perhaps it compacted down before my morning reading, but still, 8.1 inches is unfreakin-believable!! ha ha ha Some of my friends on the other side of town are reporting 10 inches. But 8.1 imby.

Well I've got to give you credit, seems like you're in a pretty good mood regardless and not letting this no power thing bother you. Hope you get it back soon. My family in Colts Neck lost it for 20 minutes in the middle of the night but it came right back on thankfully.

Well I've got to give you credit, seems like you're in a pretty good mood regardless and not letting this no power thing bother you. Hope you get it back soon. My family in Colts Neck lost it for 20 minutes in the middle of the night but it came right back on thankfully.

Yeah we've been through alot but considering how some have lost their homes completely, I think we can manage through this. We are very greatful trust me.

Did anyone know anybody that refered to this storm as "Winter Storm Athena"? Cause I think i know one person that did and thats it.

TWC started it. 101.5 used the name on the radio multiple times. NWS issued memo asking local offices NOT to reference it (although they did in the memo).

What did we "learn" from this event that is applicable to future forecasting/warnings?

Well... models were somewhat consistent with a narrow jackpot of high snow totals. It was just a question of where it landed.

From the initial forecasts I saw, 2-4" was about the highest. I think forecasters would be hesitant to put an 8-12" blob on the map considering the lack of clarity on its location, but the people that did get that much might have been in for a real surprise.

Can see the gradient in Monmouth with current snow cover. Looks like inland sections already lost about 4-6" today.

Nothing on the coast to 4-8" pockets in Freehold/Howell/Colts Neck down through Jackson.

2ewcyuu.jpg

My friend lives in West Freehold, and said he lost a good bit of snow today. So i guess this map is pretty good.

My friend lives in West Freehold, and said he lost a good bit of snow today. So i guess this map is pretty good.

Even still, to have snow cover for probably 3 days+ in early November is remarkable. Many winters we struggle to get snow cover for more than a couple days.

I remember last October, the 4" snowfall we had in Villanova stayed on the ground for 3 days due to the cold weather following the storm.

Even still, to have snow cover for probably 3 days+ in early November is remarkable. Many winters we struggle to get snow cover for more than a couple days.

I remember last October, the 4" snowfall we had in Villanova stayed on the ground for 3 days due to the cold weather following the storm.

I tell you that storm last year in oct. and this storm really screwed us in Delco, kinda glad to a degree though with the weight of that snow on the tree's with leaves on them still here would have been extremely bad, i am sure we will make it up at some point again and get back on track. I am ready for snow though.

still no power. Got down to 52 degrees in my house so it wasn't too bad last night. I guess I'll be asking for a generator for Christmas this year. ha ha ha

Good idea. I'm thinking of trading my snowblower (hand me down from father in law) in for a generator. I lose power more than I get snowstorms over 6 inches.

Good idea. I'm thinking of trading my snowblower (hand me down from father in law) in for a generator. I lose power more than I get snowstorms over 6 inches.

ha ha ha I'm still hesitant though because I don't typically lose power. Even Irene last year I never lost power. These past two storms are extreme and not normal around here. (although it's possible these could become more of a norm in the future so who knows) I guess I should look at it as an investment, even if I never have to use it.

ha ha ha I'm still hesitant though because I don't typically lose power. Even Irene last year I never lost power. These past two storms are extreme and not normal around here. (although it's possible these could become more of a norm in the future so who knows) I guess I should look at it as an investment, even if I never have to use it.

Its better to have it and never need it then to need it and not have it.

Its better to have it and never need it then to need it and not have it.

Agreed, it's worth the aggravation of running around like a chicken with its head cut-off for 2 weeks searching for water, food, gas, and extra blankets.

I wouldn't expect what we just saw for a very long time - hurricane then a snowstorm, but there's no doubt we've seen plenty of big nor'easters since 2009. Given the warm Atlantic waters for at least another 10 years in the +AMO cycle, and low solar, I think a generator is a good investment. The atmosphere has and will continue to be primed, IMO, for more intense storms.

Agreed, it's worth the aggravation of running around like a chicken with its head cut-off for 2 weeks searching for water, food, gas, and extra blankets.

I wouldn't expect what we just saw for a very long time - hurricane then a snowstorm, but there's no doubt we've seen plenty of big nor'easters since 2009. Given the warm Atlantic waters for at least another 10 years in the +AMO cycle, and low solar, I think a generator is a good investment. The atmosphere has and will continue to be primed, IMO, for more intense storms.

Don't forget thunderstorms as well....Its the primary reason why we got one after we lost power for 2 days back in 2010. I realize two days compared to what people are going through right now is nothing but still. I agree there are too many extreme weather events the past few years to not have a generator at this point. We have ours to run the basics fridge, basement freezer etc. Its alot eaiser going through storms knowing we have that to fall back on.

Don't forget thunderstorms as well....Its the primary reason why we got one after we lost power for 2 days back in 2010. I realize two days compared to what people are going through right now is nothing but still. I agree there are too many extreme weather events the past few years to not have a generator at this point. We have ours to run the basics fridge, basement freezer etc. Its alot eaiser going through storms knowing we have that to fall back on.

You're right, completely forgot about T-storms. This past summer power was out for about a day due to July T-storms, and that was the first event we used our generator for (purchased/installed it last winter).

finally got power back a couple hours ago!! This nightmare is finally over! Kids go back to school tomorrow for first time in 2 weeks.

Good to hear man. A couple friends in Middletown say they were just restored last night as well. One of them had an interesting story -- JCP and L tried calling their phone at home, but they missed the call. So after calling JCP and L back, my friend was told "Oh since you didn't pick up your phone, we figured power was restored in your area and there were no problems." She was livid. This sure has been a terrible experience for some folks.

What makes me sick to my stomach is Philly was at the same latitude as some of the heaviest snow accumulations. If the storm would have tracked the way the models had it going JUST 12 hour before the event that happens over us.

Seems to me that it's longitude that screws Philly more often than latitude. I was looking at Ray's site for big snowstorms since 2000 and how PHL compared to CNJ. There were quite a number of times areas due east in Ocean County got slammed while PHL didn't do that well. I think NJ is just better positioned to catch later developing coastal storms. PHL seems to need the Miller A type tracks or at least a low intensifiying further SW than we had.

Archived