• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PV thinking with Sandy - Trough interaction

OKpowdah

Because this has been ignored in the main thread, I thought I would start a new thread open for discussion (perhaps short if someone has a straight up answer).

As cyclonic PV anomalies tend to repel / resist merging, is this significant in how readily a stronger Sandy will phase with incoming trough?

From a PV perspective, closed cyclonic anomalies tend to repel / rotate around each other until one weakens and is absorbed by the stronger anomaly.

Will a stronger Sandy tend to resist phasing in fact remain very separate from the incoming trough?

From the beginning I couldn't help but think this whole situation was very strange, how the euro for several runs was phasing these entities, and seemingly having an affinity to do so/little resistance. Would this lie in the models' depictions of a transition near the bahamas to an extratropical/warm seclusion type deal that promotes a better environment for phasing in with a trough?

Would it matter how early in this process the storm starts to display extratropical features? Less symmetric CDO, less pronounced thermal gradient etc? I get what y'all are driving at I guess, but it seems like if this were a hard and fast rule every strong tropical cyclone that approached a strong trough would resist...and seems like that isn't the case with some of the more extreme historical analogs thrown around the past couple days. Also...some have theorized that the models overdue maintaining trop cyclone strength too far into the mid latitudes....would that also mean false depiction of its remaining a pure separate tropical entity that would be more prone to resist a phase for that long/far N?

Not trying to be a weenie, just trying to play devils advocate to your devils advocate to flesh this out.

NJ hurricane, some mets seem pretty confident this will maintain a deeper warm core right up thru 40N latitude, so i think based on any hints we could get (regarding initial resistiance of phasing) is the models are a bit phase happy and i would adjust landfall a bit to the north (or euro/ens) . I think NNJ/NYC area is the bullseye right now, generally speaking.

Sam... loop PV on the DT (1.5 PVU is fine) for the GFS and you can see a beautiful case of fujiwhara interaction between the 2 PV anomalies that results in a terrifying result for NE.

Yeah! It's amazing to watch.

So I brought this up yesterday, and to what extent we can say this is significant, I don't know. Regardless of the final outcome, I definitely think I'll try to do a case study on this from a PV perspective.

I think you put it really well yesterday in that Sandy will only phase if she can't do anything else lol

• 3 weeks later...

Archived