• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter storms to be named by Weather Channel

I85Greenville

If TWC hadn't already jumped the shark, I would say they have jumped the shark with this. Just silly. The problem with this is you don't really know what is going to happen with a winter storm. It could end up being nothing. That is why it is named AFTER it happens, becuase you never know if it will happen or not, especially around here. Naming a tropical system makes sense. It's already there. You can see it coming. This is just going to end up making more people ignore the forecast if a winter storm is named and nothing happens, and people will be caught offguard when a huge winter storm really does happen.

You must not track tropical systems that much if you think they are that easy. Some are. Like some winter storms. Some are not. Like some winter storms.

We can even take storms from this current season to prove that.

11226799-large.gif

debby-0624.jpg

We can even take the current storm for example.(Nadine)

e5G71Y5C12J2Jr6b.jpg

I think I might change my argumentative paper for English class from Global Warming to Naming Winter Storms. This seems so much more interesting and would fit a 3-5 page paper better anyway.

Here is the Weather Channels criteria for doing this. I can see why most here do not favor it. Only one bullet, the last one, would serve us weather geeks any good assuming we are on top of things more than the general public or local news station.

• Naming a storm raises awareness.
  • Attaching a name makes it much easier to follow a weather system’s progress.
  • A storm with a name takes on a personality all its own, which adds to awareness.
  • In today’s social media world, a name makes it much easier to reference in communication.
  • A named storm is easier to remember and refer to in the future.

If a winter storm is memorable in your area,the year and month are enough. I.e. Jan 88,Mar 09,etc.

I had too many memorable winter storms in 2010/2011 though. And that was just 1 season!

I remember tropical systems fairly good that impacted my area. Isabel, Ivan, etc...but not by their respective month, day and year.

I.e. Jan 88,Mar 09,etc. < that is just too much for me to remember for each storm!

Would anybody's opinion change if this was the NWS naming winter storms?

Nah. But I'll bet the names would change. :P One thing I haven't seen anyone mention in the various discussions on this is the names serve another legitimate purpose for hurricanes. There is often more than one storm at the same time during peak times of busy seasons. Sometimes for several weeks.The naming avoids any possibility of confusing the storms. While we would all love to have several winter storms bearing down on us at once, I wouldn't count on it.

Nah. But I'll bet the names would change. :P One thing I haven't seen anyone mention in the various discussions on this is the names serve another legitimate purpose for hurricanes. There is often more than one storm at the same time during peak times of busy seasons. Sometimes for several weeks.The naming avoids any possibility of confusing the storms. While we would all love to have several winter storms bearing down on us at once, I wouldn't count on it.

True.

I felt a little better though when I read TWC said only one storm would have been named last winter...seems they will be conservative to some degree. Then again, I am not sure if last winter was even a true winter though.

A trial and error year is coming up. I wanna see what happens. Maybe others will see it as a good thing afterall if the process is handled carefully.

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose the Weather Channel would have an easy time naming this first potential winter storm...Do you think Sandy?

the weather channel has published their list of names. Their first storm name is Athena. I always thought Sandy was the male version of Sandi but my wife tells me I am wrong about that. Good thing I guess, or as Sandy transformed into Athena we would be facing the first transgendered storm in history.

Archived