amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
over/under for Thursday's highs around Philly

phlwx

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PHL has not been a laggard with max temps of late wouldn't be surprised if its higher than PNE today.

With PTW, PNE and TTN not running hot anymore (as each of them did once upon a time), maybe its just a matter of PHL taking its rightful place among the local area.

Some south Jersey and Delaware sites did beat it, though.

With PTW, PNE and TTN not running hot anymore (as each of them did once upon a time), maybe its just a matter of PHL taking its rightful place among the local area.

Good point. I know PTW the past 2 summers always seemed to have a warm bias (I think it was looked into and corrected last summer).

I was getting concerned that PHL was becoming the new TTN late last week as they had a string of what looked ligh too high high(s), but they all were with NE winds, so all appears good. So in reality its more PNE being not as hot than PHL becoming hotter.

I noticed that the national weather service says there is a heat warning for dangerous heat today. So 90 or 92 for a high in the summer is called dangerous heat for these times.....lol

Well I'm sure you never had to deal with deceased elderly bc they had no heat, or lost power in their house due to increased energy demands. Workers outside collapsing due to heat emergencies.......

They(nws) know what they're doing. For you to underscore that is ignorant.

Well I'm sure you never had to deal with deceased elderly bc they had no heat, or lost power in their house due to increased energy demands. Workers outside collapsing due to heat emergencies.......

They(nws) know what they're doing. For you to underscore that is ignorant.

How come other nws sites don't say excessive heat warning. I hope most people have a enough common sense to know that it is hot out there without the government telling them it is hot.............................lol!

Sort of like Teterboro in northern NJ, easily forgotten about around the NYC metro

TEB averages 420/day, significantly higher than CDW (207), but lower than HPN (424), FRG (526) and ISP (436). Actually I'm surprised FRG is so high... must be a lot of NYC general aviators based there.

How come other nws sites don't say excessive heat warning. I hope most people have a enough common sense to know that it is hot out there without the government telling them it is hot.............................lol!

Philadelphia uses lower criteria based on this study:

http://climateknowledge.org/heat_waves/Doc1002_Kalkstein_Philadelphia_Heat_Warning_BAMS_1996.pdf

I noticed that the national weather service says there is a heat warning for dangerous heat today. So 90 or 92 for a high in the summer is called dangerous heat for these times.....lol

What is this, like the 3rd year in a row with this same routine? Get some new material already.

The NWS knows what it's doing. I remember last year one met mentioned that the construction of homes (brick with tar rooves) was somewhat unique to the Philly mentro and more dangerous than other home constructions. And that's not just for Philadelphia proper. There are plenty of row homes in Coatesville and other towns like it to justify the warning for Chester County.

You're almost as bad as the guy who wanted a Freezing Rain Advisory every time he got freezing drizzle at 2000 feet ASL even though the rest of the county was above freezing. NWS mets don't tailor warnings to specific board members.

What is this, like the 3rd year in a row with this same routine? Get some new material already.

The NWS knows what it's doing. I remember last year one met mentioned that the construction of homes (brick with tar rooves) was somewhat unique to the Philly mentro and more dangerous than other home constructions. And that's not just for Philadelphia proper. There are plenty of row homes in Coatesville and other towns like it to justify the warning for Chester County.

You're almost as bad as the guy who wanted a Freezing Rain Advisory every time he got freezing drizzle at 2000 feet ASL even though the rest of the county was above freezing. NWS mets don't tailor warnings to specific board members.

Philly is one of the cities with the highest % of brick housing stock in the country and has the highest percentage of row housing in the US, IIRC. Housing stock here pretty much makes half of the city a working convection oven on 95+ degree days because the brick just bakes on days like yesterday and today.

The heat warnings are completely fine as they are set up...the "3 days of 90 = heat wave" in July meme is a bit silly but I doubt anyone will change that anytime soon.

Philly is one of the cities with the highest % of brick housing stock in the country and has the highest percentage of row housing in the US, IIRC. Housing stock here pretty much makes half of the city a working convection oven on 95+ degree days because the brick just bakes on days like yesterday and today.

The heat warnings are completely fine as they are set up...the "3 days of 90 = heat wave" in July meme is a bit silly but I doubt anyone will change that anytime soon.

There is no formal official "heat wave" definition. Its kind of like making a photocopy has come to mean making a Xerox, so many people have used three days in a row in the Northeast that its become a defacto definition.

Archived