• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
over/under for Thursday's highs around Philly

phlwx

How come other nws sites don't say excessive heat warning. I hope most people have a enough common sense to know that it is hot out there without the government telling them it is hot.............................lol!

When was the last time you spent your day indoors on the top floor of an apartment building with the windows closed and a fan running after a daytime high of 97 and an overnight low of 79?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come other nws sites don't say excessive heat warning. I hope most people have a enough common sense to know that it is hot out there without the government telling them it is hot.............................lol!

How about urban heat island warning- how plain do you have to be? Have you taken courses that involve the heat island effect? The Mt holly mets are right. keep up the good work. 90's here are hot--- 90's in Atlanta are normal. Peoples bodies become accustom to the heat. As people get older, their bodies tend to not know what is hot or cold- blood thinners etc.. in a building of 100 degrees and a fan, dehydrated and suffering from heat stroke- they just do not know.

There is no formal official "heat wave" definition. Its kind of like making a photocopy has come to mean making a Xerox, so many people have used three days in a row in the Northeast that its become a defacto definition.

tee hee, it's the "official" unofficial definition of sorts :P

In terms of "heat waves" a couple of us developed a quasi in-house tool to measure relative strength/intensity compared to other heat waves...this came in as the most intense 3 day heat wave since June 1991 (98, 100, 94 June 15-17). Of course, '91 was chocked full of heat waves as well and that 3 day wasn't the first one of the year...but for a first heat wave of the year, this one was definitely one of the "better" ones out of the gate.

How about urban heat island warning- how plain do you have to be? Have you taken courses that involve the heat island effect? The Mt holly mets are right. keep up the good work. 90's here are hot--- 90's in Atlanta are normal. Peoples bodies become accustom to the heat. As people get older, their bodies tend to not know what is hot or cold- blood thinners etc.. in a building of 100 degrees and a fan, dehydrated and suffering from heat stroke- they just do not know.

Heat is relative. 90 in May has much more "impact" than 90 in July.

I see your point I'm just saying that the way the climate has changed that 90's is not that unusual for around these parts any longer especially for philly and wilmington. In chester county with the higher elevations it is different.

When was the last time you spent your day indoors on the top floor of an apartment building with the windows closed and a fan running after a daytime high of 97 and an overnight low of 79?

I lived in nyc as a child and remember times like that well, they were't pleasant.

Archived