Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Tropical Cyclones 2012

Harbourton

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although it's way out in fantasy land, the GFS is also signaling an east coast threat around the first part of September. May be Christie should dust off the old "Get the hell off the beach" speech. :) :)

stipulation on/Yes, it's in fantasy land/stipulation off, but it's had it now for three model runs. It's at least an amusing thing to keep an eye on.

The GFS has been taking the Euro to the woodshed in the tropics this year. Day 12 is fantasy range, but the pattern is setting up nicely for just such an event with a storm moving up the coast, so I wouldn't discount the GFS.

im not sure on the rest of the storms, but i know the euro took the gfs to the woodshed on Gordon. Gfs as you recall had gordon hitting the US or coming close to a US hit. While the euro swung it ots in the central atl.

im not sure on the rest of the storms, but i know the euro took the gfs to the woodshed on Gordon. Gfs as you recall had gordon hitting the US or coming close to a US hit. While the euro swung it ots in the central atl.

The GFS nailing Debbie and Ernesto come to mind. I didn't follow 93L (Gordon) at all as I was without internet for a week, but I just read over the tropics thread from a week ago, and it looked like both the GFS and Euro had a potential TC coming west (GFS further west), and on the same run, they both took it OTS. No big deal though. I guess the upshot of my previous comment was that it is not just the Euro and then everyone else anymore. The GFS has made great strides over the last two years on TC's and its solutions should be held with equal weight to the Euro IMHO.

Adam or Tom,

Jack (Ordille) used to always talk about mslp anomalies for Hatteras in July and how (like winter), it sets the pattern for the general tropical cyclone track for the season. I dont recall which departures meant what and when I run the cdc's site I'm getting alot of negative anomalies. Have you found it useful, never heard of it, kind of hit and miss, etc? As an example I'm going to just post the actual mslp the last two Julys.

post-623-0-29936600-1345466536_thumb.png

post-623-0-36136900-1345466506_thumb.png

Adam or Tom,

Jack (Ordille) used to always talk about mslp anomalies for Hatteras in July and how (like winter), it sets the pattern for the general tropical cyclone track for the season. I dont recall which departures meant what and when I run the cdc's site I'm getting alot of negative anomalies. Have you found it useful, never heard of it, kind of hit and miss, etc? As an example I'm going to just post the actual mslp the last two Julys.

post-623-0-29936600-1345466536_thumb.png

post-623-0-36136900-1345466506_thumb.png

Jack was always a cold pool kinda guy too and believed in separating ENSO strength by region for sensible weather here. A smart man. :(

Tombo, (too many toms in here btw!)

I think that's gonna be dependent on where the remnants head after "landfall" which we can assume will happen somewhere around the southern states.

If the 0z GFS is correct, and the remnants make it to us, it's bc of the continued weakness from the WAR. However, if Isaac's leftovers stay south and west of us , such as the 6z GFS shows, it's bc the WAR flexes its muscle a bit and we cook.

These are strictly scenario solutions and not a forecast. Just touching on the subject.

Right now, just gonna see how this guy interacts in the Carribean.

Tombo, (too many toms in here btw!)

I think that's gonna be dependent on where the remnants head after "landfall" which we can assume will happen somewhere around the southern states.

If the 0z GFS is correct, and the remnants make it to us, it's bc of the continued weakness from the WAR. However, if Isaac's leftovers stay south and west of us , such as the 6z GFS shows, it's bc the WAR flexes its muscle a bit and we cook.

These are strictly scenario solutions and not a forecast. Just touching on the subject.

Right now, just gonna see how this guy interacts in the Carribean.

pretty much. Thats the difference between the gfs and the euro. Euro builds in the ridge while the gfs is weaker and splits it sending issac into fl region.

post-105-0-58920400-1345661828_thumb.jpg

Thursday 8 AM...just a bit of difference!

The big difference is now beyond 120 hours. The 12z Euro did shift east toward the GFS up to the 120 hour time period, but then a weakened Isaac continues on a NW heading whereas the GFS has Isaac drifting almost due north into the weakness. The ingestion of GI-V data tomorrow afternoon will tell us who is right with Isaac with regard to the ridge strength beyond the current 120 hour period.

post-105-0-73647900-1345715100_thumb.jpg

Next Friday night...GFS brings the remnants low track south of Philly, putting us in the "vaunted" north/west (left of track) side of the storm. Euro has the system much farther west.

Isaac drops more rain over the Carolinas per the GFS than it does over us...the model brings several inches down there, much more modest rains up here as the storm slowly moves north post landfall (regardless of scenario as both models slow this thing down after landfall).

post-105-0-73647900-1345715100_thumb.jpg

Next Friday night...GFS brings the remnants low track south of Philly, putting us in the "vaunted" north/west (left of track) side of the storm. Euro has the system much farther west.

Isaac drops more rain over the Carolinas per the GFS than it does over us...the model brings several inches down there, much more modest rains up here as the storm slowly moves north post landfall (regardless of scenario as both models slow this thing down after landfall).

It would be better to show the gfs track at hr 192. After that the truncation just really messes with it. Hr 192 has a large area of heavy rain over delmarva and va and wva. The truncation hits and it barely has anything.

It would be better to show the gfs track at hr 192. After that the truncation just really messes with it. Hr 192 has a large area of heavy rain over delmarva and va and wva. The truncation hits and it barely has anything.

I do think there will be a heavy rain threat if the GFS track verifies but I think the Carolinas and Virginia will have it much worse than we will IF that track and that timing were right.

The map at 216 meant to show more representation of low (for me). QPF even post Day 5 can be off a fair bit even without truncation.

If we had a faster moving system by about a day (where the system could ride up along the front that moves through on Tuesday night/Wednesday) we would be a bit more fooked. This scenario isn't good here but it's worse down in the Carolinas and Virginia.

I do think there will be a heavy rain threat if the GFS track verifies but I think the Carolinas and Virginia will have it much worse than we will IF that track and that timing were right.

The map at 216 meant to show more representation of low (for me). QPF even post Day 5 can be off a fair bit even without truncation.

If we had a faster moving system by about a day (where the system could ride up along the front that moves through on Tuesday night/Wednesday) we would be a bit more fooked. This scenario isn't good here but it's worse down in the Carolinas and Virginia.

yea i agree, the further south obviously would have worse affects since the system would be stronger. Some of the 6z gfs ens members have some copious amounts of rain for the region..

f180.gif

Archived