• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2012 Discussion / Thoughts

Tropical

Yeah, 2010 was a perfectly fine summer from a severe weather and heat perspective. The main corridor of action was a bit south of me that summer, but that's just life. April and May were slow severe weather months that year, but June was good (I think June 2010 is somewhat underrated; there were 8 tornadoes, but 5 of those occurred at night, and 2 others were unwarned). In addition, late July was also very active. And the cherry on top that summer was the flying eagle supercell that produced 2 tornadoes in Macomb County on a See Text day in August.

Of course, my dream is for Michigan to one day get a repeat of Summer 2004 (lots of days with supercells riding warm fronts in the Saginaw Valley/Thumb, which are good chasing areas by Michigan standards), but I wouldn't complain if we ended up in a similar pattern as 2010 this year.

I liked the epic wee-hour strobe-lightning storm on the 22nd of June. With over 50,000 lightning strikes in a single hour over my area, it was the most electrified storm's I've ever seen.

I liked the epic wee-hour strobe-lightning storm on the 22nd of June. With over 50,000 lightning strikes in a single hour over my area, it was the most electrified storm's I've ever seen.

I either wasn't awake for that one, or (more likely) it petered out before it reached my area. Now, July 28th of last year, that was an incredible lightning storm for my area.

Im thinking a roller coaster type of summer is on the way. We will have brief, but very warm/hot/humid days and then brief cool down: repeat. I'm calling for an above average summer Across the Eastern G/L region. Now the east coast might be in trouble tho, normal to below normal!

Im thinking a roller coaster type of summer is on the way. We will have brief, but very warm/hot/humid days and then brief cool down: repeat. I'm calling for an above average summer Across the Eastern G/L region. Now the east coast might be in trouble tho, normal to below normal!

Summer 1999 redux.

I a wishful for a 1988 or 1995 , 2010 2011 type play here.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking this summer will last 5.75 months...... Weather has been fantastic, almost summerlike since late March in our region.... As for precip and temps ??? I thinking envioment Canada has a new cystal ball they are trying out. Or at least the horseshoe is working well !!!

I either wasn't awake for that one, or (more likely) it petered out before it reached my area. Now, July 28th of last year, that was an incredible lightning storm for my area.

Well, in West Michigan the best events are usually nocturnal bow echos. It takes special circumstances (i.e. backed SE winds) for afternoon events to actually work out. Typically the lake breeze pushes anything trying to form overhead well east before it becomes severe, and stuff crossing lake MI from Wisconsin weakens as soon as it gets 3/4 of the way across the lake. Though there are exceptions where good dynamic forcing overpowers the lake breeze circulation completely.

The June 22 2010 bow echo woke everyone up in my area because it prompted a tornado warning and the sirens went off. The rotation was residual from a cluster of supercells in WI that merged into bookend type MCV / bow-echo over Lake Michigan. Several velocity couplets formed and dissipated along the leading edge as it moved through Kent County. I think there was one small confirmed tornado. Otherwise it was straight line winds and ferocious lightning that started quite a few house fires.

Seems like the NAO is having an affect on the weather in region this go around. NAO supposed to remain negative for most of the half of June- AO the same. I think the main ridge; for now, will stay in the Plains.

Geez, I can't remember when the NAO was this negative!

nao.sprd2.gif

ao.sprd2.gif

Seems like the NAO is having an affect on the weather in region this go around. NAO supposed to remain negative for most of the half of June- AO the same. I think the main ridge; for now, will stay in the Plains.

Geez, I can't remember when the NAO was this negative!

nao.sprd2.gif

ao.sprd2.gif

You guys have a short memory of Summer 2010. Persistent -NAO. I dont recall it ever got this nutty. Looks like this block is ready to break down here very soon as te ENS hint at it. Still funny though the highs are below norm but not insane below. Most likely maybe something to do with a lack of real anomalious cold in the arctic. It just depends on where the block sets up. Anyways the Ridge in the west is proged to pulse east and fill. 12z GFS hinted at this in it fantasy land.

You guys have a short memory of Summer 2010. Persistent -NAO. I dont recall it ever got this nutty. Looks like this block is ready to break down here very soon as te ENS hint at it. Still funny though the highs are below norm but not insane below. Most likely maybe something to do with a lack of real anomalious cold in the arctic. It just depends on where the block sets up. Anyways the Ridge in the west is proged to pulse east and fill. 12z GFS hinted at this in it fantasy land.

I knew it had been awhile since the NAO was this low, but I couldn't recall when. Good point - underlined.

My forecast eventually warms up above 80°, but not until Saturday.

We have a west based block right now. Was right over Greenland last week.

500gz_anomalies_nh.gif

Archived