• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
How Little for Philly

Grothar

SPC just upgraded the area to critical fire danger for Monday, the last few days have been see text. Someone shoot me now.

...SRN VA NWD INTO SRN NEW ENGLAND...

A ZONE OF STRONG W-NWLY DEEP-LAYER FLOW /E.G. 40 MPH AT 700 MB/ WILL

PERSIST OVER THE REGION...ALONG THE SRN PERIPHERY OF THE

AFOREMENTIONED ERN CANADA CLOSED LOW. SUSTAINED SFC WIND SPEEDS ARE

ANTICIPATED TO BE STRONGER THAN OBSERVED IN PREVIOUS DAYS...WITH

SUSTAINED WINDS OF 20-25 MPH/GUSTS TO 40 MPH FORECAST FROM DELMARVA

NWD INTO SRN CT...WHILE WIND SPEEDS OF 15-20 MPH ARE FORECAST TO

OCCUR ELSEWHERE. THIS OFFSHORE FLOW PATTERN SHOULD MAINTAIN DRY

BOUNDARY LAYER CONDITIONS...ALTHOUGH THE MAGNITUDE OF MIN RH VALUES

IS SOMEWHAT INCONSISTENT AMONGST LATEST DETERMINISTIC MODEL

SOLUTIONS. GRADUAL MOISTENING AND INCREASING CLOUD COVER...AND

PERHAPS SPOTTY PRECIPITATION...IS LIKELY TO OCCUR ACROSS THE

MID-ATLANTIC REGION AS A SHORTWAVE TROUGH APPROACHES DURING THE LATE

AFTERNOON. GIVEN THIS UNCERTAINTY...A CRITICAL RISK UPGRADE WILL NOT

BE MADE ATTM...BUT COULD BE WARRANTED IN FUTURE OUTLOOKS SHOULD

CONFIDENCE IN CRITICALLY LOW RH VALUES INCREASES.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major problems starting, RFW and Wind Advisory up, 1,000+ acre fire in Woodland Twp, Burlington County, only been burning for 2 hours.

I find it hard to believe it burnt that much acres in two hours....i kno prime conditions, but still a little skeptical. Either way that will be burning for a week

I find it hard to believe it burnt that much acres in two hours....i kno prime conditions, but still a little skeptical. Either way that will be burning for a week

The numbers are bouncing around. They all have at least triple digits. Looks like there is a second wildfire in Burlington County.

The same credibility as Irene last year? I will stop posting about the potential for a drought even though I do not see you guys equally beating up on Steve and why not? I will sit back and just liste. By the way, I have a Physical Geography degree with a Geology minor and 30 years experience in groundwater, municipal urban planning and so many other certificates it would make your head spin. So smokeater, who is credible now? By the way, while you were in diapers, I was doing papers on groundwater aquifers in college.

For Bucks CoPA-- Please notice the graph you posted is falling not rising like it should be . Even though it groundwater levels are still at the median, the fact that the line is falling rapidly and instead of rising is the concern. I never said that were in a surface water drought warning- only heading in that direction. And yes I would agree with you that 2002 was much worse at this time of the year- but here in Lehigh County there has been a tremendous amount of urban growth including some heavy duty industrial water users which were not here in 2002. One must take a wait and see approach but only two years ago we were under a drought emergency here because Lehigh County Authority could not supply enough water to its existing customers. The map below is for groundwater only. PADEP and the USGS see things differently just like DRBC and your local municipal water supplier. I tend to rely on the USGS statuses rather the PADEP since PADEP utilizes USGS data in making their status calls. Posting a PADEP drought map frankly in IMHO is worthless- please rely on USGS drought status mapping. Its like PADEP is the Canadian model for area and the the USGS model is the Euro- whom would you trust?

:facepalm:

There are no drought emergencies right now. Period.

The same credibility as Irene last year? I will stop posting about the potential for a drought even though I do not see you guys equally beating up on Steve and why not? I will sit back and just liste. By the way, I have a Physical Geography degree with a Geology minor and 30 years experience in groundwater, municipal urban planning and so many other certificates it would make your head spin. So smokeater, who is credible now? By the way, while you were in diapers, I was doing papers on groundwater aquifers in college.

For Bucks CoPA-- Please notice the graph you posted is falling not rising like it should be . Even though it groundwater levels are still at the median, the fact that the line is falling rapidly and instead of rising is the concern. I never said that were in a surface water drought warning- only heading in that direction. And yes I would agree with you that 2002 was much worse at this time of the year- but here in Lehigh County there has been a tremendous amount of urban growth including some heavy duty industrial water users which were not here in 2002. One must take a wait and see approach but only two years ago we were under a drought emergency here because Lehigh County Authority could not supply enough water to its existing customers. The map below is for groundwater only. PADEP and the USGS see things differently just like DRBC and your local municipal water supplier. I tend to rely on the USGS statuses rather the PADEP since PADEP utilizes USGS data in making their status calls. Posting a PADEP drought map frankly in IMHO is worthless- please rely on USGS drought status mapping. Its like PADEP is the Canadian model for area and the the USGS model is the Euro- whom would you trust?

Map created on: Monday, April 02, 2012

Groundwater status is indicated by color of symbol

Current drought declaration status is indicated by color of county

gw.gif

Groundwater only by USGS not PADEP

1. Busy day in SE PA and probably elsewhere. Numerous Montgomery County, PA fire station's equipment relocated to Berks county for a big fire near Hopwell and RT 345.

Tomorrow looks slightly better but a fire watch is up again.

Regardless of who is right or wrong in the drought discussions - it is dry and with the high wind there is definitly an increased fire danger. We were lucky we had the early green up or a day like this with the fields still brown would have been even worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Your using NJ.com and comments on an article on nj.com as your evidence?

Did not present evidence- just presenting factual information for members in the forum. If there was a picture of a hailstone the size of a baseball in the newspaper or they were showing a snow drift 5 feet high, would you critique that as well as being evident of a severe thunderstorm or a blizzard?

Also, Why not name the Lawn/Garden/Golf thread the "Tall Grass and Weed Mongerer" thread (I apologize in advance for using your thread topic Tombo - our expert in horticulture) as an example. Just because I discuss the potential for a severe drought this summer, does not make me a mongerer (

A person promoting something undesirable or discreditable.)

I do not wish to be in a drought but the facts are presenting themselves that we are a short term drought situation according to the experts I would guess the states do not declare drought watches or emergencies in the hopes that we receive meaningful rainfall by Memorial Day.

Did not present evidence- just presenting factual information for members in the forum. If there was a picture of a hailstone the size of a baseball in the newspaper or they were showing a snow drift 5 feet high, would you critique that as well as being evident of a severe thunderstorm or a blizzard?

Also, Why not name the Lawn/Garden/Golf thread the "Tall Grass and Weed Mongerer" thread (I apologize in advance for using your thread topic Tombo - our expert in horticulture) as an example. Just because I discuss the potential for a severe drought this summer, does not make me a mongerer (

I do not wish to be in a drought but the facts are presenting themselves that we are a short term drought situation according to the experts I would guess the states do not declare drought watches or emergencies in the hopes that we receive meaningful rainfall by Memorial Day.

So the states aren't issuing drought watches or emergencies because they are hoping we get more rain? Come on man, lol. Your way of thinking when it comes to that is ridiculous. It's simple, the reason you don't see watches or emergencies is, we're not in that situation yet. We're NOT in a drought yet as you keep trying to say. Yes, we have a deficit, everyone knows that. But we're not in some dire situation. And take what nj.com writes with a grain of salt, I work for the newspaper and don't read half of what comes out of there.

Get me more credible sources then an article from NJ.com. Could care less if your right or wrong just get more credible sources to "present factual information" then NJ.com and its article commentators.

Archived