amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
How Little for Philly

Grothar

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

less than 4 months after recording the wettest year on record & you're already starting this nonsense, just a general FYI Philly had consecutive years with less than 30" of precip back in the 1960's & somehow we survived as a civilization - bodies didn't pile up in the streets, dust storms didn't envelop Independence Hall.....

just a note - if your lawn turns brown in the summer time it's not a sign of the impending apocalypse

less than 4 months after recording the wettest year on record & you're already starting this nonsense, just a general FYI Philly had consecutive years with less than 30" of precip back in the 1960's & somehow we survived as a civilization - bodies didn't pile up in the streets, dust storms didn't envelop Independence Hall.....

just a note - if your lawn turns brown in the summer time it's not a sign of the impending apocalypse

Probably true however H20 demands are much higher in 2012 due to population increases and infrastructure. Some areas in bucks have wells running dry despite the recent wet years

Probably true however H20 demands are much higher in 2012 due to population increases and infrastructure. Some areas in bucks have wells running dry despite the recent wet years

What? Really? That's just piss poor urban (or suburban) planning if that's that case. This dry start is abnormal, but hardly uncommon.

:clap:

The grill must be on.

screw it, i'm just gonna autograph it and send it to u guys...

BBQ's soon at mt holly.

btw, I was surprised you guys put the 'snow' wording in there already. :thumbsup:

Friday Night...A chance of rain in the evening...Then rain with a chance of snow after midnight. Lows in the mid 30s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

Saturday...Mostly cloudy. Rain with a chance of snow in the morning...Then a chance of rain in the afternoon. Little or no snow accumulation. Highs in the upper 40s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

I set up this thread only to keep posters concerns about the dry weather in a separate thread. I am not stating an apocalypse. You may live in Bucks county and have municipal water but this is a concern for those on wells or rely on surface water intakes from your local streams. Did you know a majority of the water that feeds the Philadelphia area comes from the Perkiomen (Green Lane Reservoir) and Schuylkill Rivers in Lower Providence Township? If the Perkiomen has low flows like water not going over the dam- restrictions will be placed on the Philadelphia areas.

No dead bodies from a possible drought but a problem for farmers. I am more concerned about rural areas and limestone geology areas where many posters live. You may think we had the wettest year but it does not mean a hill of beans if all of the excess precip ran off rather than infiltrate into the ground. That is what happened. With Irene, all of the excess precip ran off after several inches resulting in severe flooding because the ground was saturated. Once we had the last decent rains in early December, the soil profile below the topsoil basically began to dry up. The topsoil layer was frozen with little moisture in the soil in January and early February. The rains we had literally ran off again as frozen soils act as impervious cover. When the the topsoil layer thawed out, it became soggy and mushy in February and early March until the last couple of weeks when the we had 70 degree temps and low humidity. This gave a false impression that the soils were really saturated when in fact only a couple of inches were moist.

Why my concern? We now have absolutely no ground water recharge from melted snow since we have little snow for two months. We have had little rainfall to replace this lack of snowfall. We now have a dry soil profile in place and the surface and underground aquifers in our area will be suffering as more and more water usage is expected by the residents and commercial and industrial users in the upcoming months. It will only take 80-90 degree temps with a sunny sky and low humidity for one week to see water usage increase and drought watches to be issued.

Apparently many posters believe the pattern is going the way of a negative NAO. I waited all winter long and now it suddenly happens. No way. It took along time to continually maintain a positive or neutral NAO. This is not going to happen overnight. We keep wishing for a pattern change but the pattern we are in now continually produces midwest closed lows which have died out before reaching the east coast with little or no blocking and little available moisture from the GOM. Add some westerly breezes over the Appalachians and we have the recipe for dry weather for the region. It will take a long duration east coast trough to break this regiment and until I see one actually forming I will expect more postings in this thread. Thanks

It's dry but not drought-busting, zomg the world's going to end dry.

Most places are running 50-70% of normal YTD, which is not terrible. We're in better shape than SNE (which didn't get the buckets of rain in September we got) and has been running around 40-50% since December 1st.

http://philadelphiaweather.blogspot.com/2012/03/more-dry-data.html

I stated a steady, moderate rain wouldn't be a bad thing about now to help farmers and ag interests with surface soil but we sure as s*t don't need another August.

Even though we had the wettest year on record last year half of that rain fell in about seven weeks...the rest of the year was much, much closer to average and in fact we were bitching about the dry summer we had. I blame whoever the f didn't stop the rain dance in August once the floodgates opened.

From Steve DiMartino:

"One concern I have going forward though is the lack of rainfall thus far this Spring. For the year, precipitation values are well below normal and I see no change in the pattern overall for above normal or even normal precipitation. This is bad news for the summer as dry conditions that are developing throughout the northern Mid Atlantic will start to produce a feed back effect on precipitation potential, especially when dealing with thunderstorm development. So the potential for a significant drought brewing for this Summer is starting to take shape. At this point, what we'll need is a rapid return of El Nino to amp up the Sub Tropical Jet Stream, but so far there is no indication of that happening."

I am glad to see some pro's seeing what I have been concerned about. Thanks Steve

Here is the latest groundwater map as of today for the Lehigh County well which is located near the Fogelsville area- near the beverage industrial area. Please note that the groundwater levels are equal to what it should be like in late June and early July. The stream levels in the Little Lehigh also reflect the same. Carbon and Monroe Counties are in a drought emergency already. To see the groundwater table drop this much in such a short period of time is a direct reflection on the absence of an adequate snow recharge, a negative NAO, a weak La Nina going to a neutral condition and a limestone geology IMHO. The black triangles are the normal levels, the red line is the current depth to the surface of the groundwater. When the groundwater levels get to the orange, drought watches will be issued and when the levels hit the red -- drought emergency. As you see we are heading down that path of a drought watch in the next month and probably drought emergency by July. This not my opinion- this is fact and is based on this live feed graph from the observation well.

sm_403429075392401.png

Here is the latest groundwater map as of today for the Lehigh County well which is located near the Fogelsville area- near the beverage industrial area. Please note that the groundwater levels are equal to what it should be like in late June and early July.

Once again Capt Tumbleweed you find yourself on the wrong side of the facts, a more detailed dataset for the Lehigh well you have cited is listed below and reality is the current groundwater level is still ABOVE the APR 2nd mean & more importantly median levels over the 26 yr period of record. Also note that at this time back in 2002 the level was nearly 84' so it has been much much worse at this time of year.

post-1715-0-59678200-1333405492.jpg

I have had only .10 of an inch. No drought buster- just enough to keep the grass green for a few weeks.

Can't be a drought busting rain, when there is no drought to bust. You really need to stop, don't you notice you don't have one shred of credibility left, and not one person in this subforum takes you seriously?

lol

To be fair it's been pretty dry but Grothar is not helping himself one damn bit in this thread.

That's the thing, everybody acknowledges that it's been dry, but not ridiculously abnormally dry. It's like he goes from one extreme to the other, from last winter being completely wrong about an epic cold and mostly snowy winter, to now this. Then he states that Carbon and Monroe are in a drought emergency already, then says a drought watch will be needed by May. Which is it? He can't even get his stories straight at this point.

Archived