Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Our region's extreme run

MN Transplant

BWI's streak ended yesterday- so did my backyard. :(

The same at DCA -- not even a trace there, so the new DC record of consecutive days with measurable precipitation goes into the books at 15, April 27-May 11, 2016.  However, the IAD streak of days with at least a trace of precipitation is alive at 17 days, April 26-May 12, with the likelihood of extending to 19 days.

However, the IAD streak of days with at least a trace of precipitation is alive at 17 days, April 26-May 12, with the likelihood of extending to 19 days.

19 consecutive days it is, but today is likely the end.  Still, that beats the old record by six days.  Here is the new Top 3 for consecutive days with at least a trace of precipitation at IAD:

1) April 26-May 14, 2016 (19)
2) May 5-17, 1989 (13)
3) June 13-25, 1972 (13)

19 consecutive days it is, but today is likely the end.  Still, that beats the old record by six days.  Here is the new Top 3 for consecutive days with at least a trace of precipitation at IAD:

1) April 26-May 14, 2016 (19)
2) May 5-17, 1989 (13)
3) June 13-25, 1972 (13)

Dulles defied the forecast today and recorded a trace of precipitation, to extend the streak to 20 days.

Dulles defied the forecast today and recorded a trace of precipitation, to extend the streak to 20 days.

Evidently, the Sunday Dulles report has been corrected to delete the trace of precipitation, and so the official record streak of consecutive days with at least a trace of precipitation there reverts back to 19, April 26-May 14, 2016.

Today DCA finally reached 80 degrees in May, the second-latest initial 80-degree May reading in DC history.  The latest remains May 26, 1935.

After failing to reach 80 degrees until May 24th, DCA has now recorded eight consecutive maximums in the 80s.  When was the last time that May 24-31 each had maximums in the 80s in DC?  Never since official daily temperature record-keeping began in 1872. The closest previously was in 1911, when all but May 30th had maximums in the 80s.  However, that day reached an even 90. 

I wonder what the record is at the airports for the most number of days with rain in any given month? By the time this month is over we would have to be close to the record, I think.

I have not checked every month in DC history, but I just noticed that May 1953 had 24 days with at least a trace of precipitation at DCA, with 17 days of measurable precipitation there. The corresponding figures for May 2016 are 22 and 19.  So, DCA did not exceed the former total this May, but did exceed the latter total. 

After failing to reach 80 degrees until May 24th, DCA has now recorded eight consecutive maximums in the 80s.  When was the last time that May 24-31 each had maximums in the 80s in DC?  Never since official daily temperature record-keeping began in 1872. The closest previously was in 1911, when all but May 30th had maximums in the 80s.  However, that day reached an even 90. 

Today marked the 15th consecutive day -- May 24-June 7 -- of a maximum in the 80s at DCA. While the streak is likely over, it did, according to my records, break the all-time DC 80s streak for the first half of the year.  I believe that the previous record-holder for that time frame was June 15-28, 1907 (14 days).  The all-time record for consecutive days with a maximum in the 80s, I believe, is August 11-September 1, 2001 (22 days).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Today was the first 100+ day for BWI since July 18, 2012. Today also tied the record high of 100 set in 2010.

Similar picture for both DCA and IAD, as all three area airports recorded an even 100 degrees.  First 100+ at DCA since July 26, 2012, and first at IAD since July 18, 2012. DCA tied the record for July 25th set in 1930 and IAD broke the record of 98 set in 2010.  

On 7/27/2016 at 9:08 PM, Ian said:

DCA hit 97+ five days in a row... should be it. Ties for the 4th longest stretch of 97+ in DC.

And today marked the 13th consecutive day of at least 90 degrees at DCA, with forecasts tomorrow calling for a high in the mid-80s.  Last year we also "officially" had 13 consecutive 90+ readings (during July 24th-August 5th), but that was right before the DCA temperature sensor was replaced on August 10th, with a reference sensor (psychro-dyne) showing a reading of 1.7 degrees too high on the old sensor.  Prior to that, DCA had 16 straight 90+ readings July 18-August 2, 2011.  The all-time record is 21 straight 90+ readings July 25-August 14, 1980.

Blacksburg VA did something yesterday I haven't seen in a while. They tied both their record warmest low and coolest high on same day with a 68 and 71 reading. Big 3 degrees difference, which is also hard to pull off this time of year. They also set a rainfall record for the day with 0.95 inches.

40 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Blacksburg VA did something yesterday I haven't seen in a while. They tied both their record warmest low and coolest high on same day with a 68 and 71 reading. Big 3 degrees difference, which is also hard to pull off this time of year. They also set a rainfall record for the day with 0.95 inches.

That is unique.  Good find.

Yesterday marked the third consecutive 100 degree or higher reading at DCA.  The only other time that happened in August in DC was the legendary summer of 1930, which saw August 3-5 do it.  If we hit 100 or more today at DCA, that will tie both 1930 (July 19-22) and 2012 (July 5-8) for having the most consecutive days that reached at least 100.   

29 minutes ago, Ian said:

Think we got too much rain last night. Temp of 82 at 10 would require a pretty huge rise to get to 100. We might get some upper 70s dews tho later.

It's a longshot at this point, as the 10:52 AM DCA temperature is only 83, vs 88 yesterday at that same time.  However, with the old sensor . . . 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...