• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12 years ago at this moment I arrived home from work to discover that radar looked like this

Deck Pic

I was in Baltimore at the time. Don't think I even had reliable internet, but remember watching storm on Weather Channel and getting some sense that evening forecasts could be changing . And then, literally, during 10 p.m. newscast, weather forecaster came on mid broadcast and said with a bit of panic that we had a problem and something like 5 to 8 inches could fall the next day.

By the next morning, it was indeed snowing, but don't recall it being that heavy for much of the morning. I was driving around and only after noon did things really go down hill. Then from 2 to 5 p.m., it snowed like crazy, 2 to 3 inches an hour. It then abruptly stopped shortly after 6 p.m., but Baltimore was buried under 18 inches of snow.

I so wish I would have kept the email exchange between Dewey W, from lwx and me. He wrote the infamous "close but no cigar" AFD. I was a 25 yo weenie and I wrote him that it's coming north..look at the radar. I had some balls..telling a NWS met that he was wrong and to look at the radar. He wrote me back around 8 or so and said..hey..you're right dude.

I so wish I would have kept the email exchange between Dewey W, from lwx and me. He wrote the infamous "close but no cigar" AFD. I was a 25 yo weenie and I wrote him that it's coming north..look at the radar. I had some balls..telling a NWS met that he was wrong and to look at the radar. He wrote me back around 8 or so and said..hey..you're right dude.

Not just any NWS met. Dewey was a hell of a met!

I lived in Upper Marlboro, Md at the time and I truly believe that part of Prince George's, and the neighboring part of Anne Arundel (where I was in Upper Marlboro was just barely two miles from the AA county line-- near the intersection of 214 & 301)-- received the worst from the '00 storm. I measures twice and recorded 20" and 22". Fabulous storm and like many, it began my fascination with weathe, or at least accentuated it after '96.

I was a freshman up in Ithaca, NY during that storm and I remember waking up looking at the radar the morning of Jan 25 and BGM was already moderate snow and was on the doorstep of Ithaca...it started snowing when I was walking out of the dining hall at breakfast. I skipped my afternoon class that day to watch the radar and obs...we got 13" of snow aided by some finger lake enhancement on NNW wind on the backside.

I think the forecast the night before had been mostly sunny. That was probably the most amazing part about that storm...was that it not just barely got far enough north to hit VA and MD and then scooted out to sea...it went due north and interior NY and NE were hit. Just an epic model bust.

Archived