e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The Hudson Valley Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a low of 42.

Early this morning during my morning ritual there was mist covering the entire pond, which is typical for the fall. When I got to the top of the hill in the park I could see the mist rising up along the Wallkill as well, tracing it, which runs right along my house (there's a treeline on the riverbank itself). I often wonder how my proxitiy to the river and surroundng wetlands affects my temps. Normally I've noticed that it may keep me a degree or two higher as my dewpoint is usually a degree or two higher as well from the surrouding area. That said, if the river is frozen over I can sometimes be a little colder as the cold air drains into my little neck of the woods from the surrounding slightly higher terrain. It can be an interesting microclimate in which I'm still learning how it all works.

I had a low of 42.

Early this morning during my morning ritual there was mist covering the entire pond, which is typical for the fall. When I got to the top of the hill in the park I could see the mist rising up along the Wallkill as well, tracing it, which runs right along my house (there's a treeline on the riverbank itself). I often wonder how my proxitiy to the river and surroundng wetlands affects my temps. Normally I've noticed that it may keep me a degree or two higher as my dewpoint is usually a degree or two higher as well from the surrouding area. That said, if the river is frozen over I can sometimes be a little colder as the cold air drains into my little neck of the woods from the surrounding slightly higher terrain. It can be an interesting microclimate in which I'm still learning how it all works.

It is the same thing at my house in Queensbury. I am less than a mile from the Hudson River (albeit you can hit a good golf shot over it up there it is so narrow in places), and I go through several frost/freeze warnings in the fall before it materializes at my house. On a calm night with the relatively warm water nearby, it is just enough to affect the environment for a small radius around the river to hold the temp. a couple of degrees higher.

It is the same thing at my house in Queensbury. I am less than a mile from the Hudson River (albeit you can hit a good golf shot over it up there it is so narrow in places), and I go through several frost/freeze warnings in the fall before it materializes at my house. On a calm night with the relatively warm water nearby, it is just enough to affect the environment for a small radius around the river to hold the temp. a couple of degrees higher.

The Wallkill near my house is rather narrow, easy to get a golf shot across the river but ther are also wetlands to my southwest over to my west. Thats why I'm still learning what affect, if any, the river and wetlands have IMBY. As for the Hudson, that has a much larger affect down here since it's much larger. My folks live in New Windsor within a half mile of the river and it takes them "forever" to get their first frost/freeze each year. You can see the difference with the OBS from Stewart (KSWF) in comparison to the OBS from Montgomery (KMGJ). KMGJ is only about 7 miles west of KSWF, and about 100 lower in elevation, but KSWF is only about 4.5 miles from the Hudson and then tend to run a couple of degrees warmer.

The Wallkill near my house is rather narrow, easy to get a golf shot across the river but ther are also wetlands to my southwest over to my west. Thats why I'm still learning what affect, if any, the river and wetlands have IMBY. As for the Hudson, that has a much larger affect down here since it's much larger. My folks live in New Windsor within a half mile of the river and it takes them "forever" to get their first frost/freeze each year. You can see the difference with the OBS from Stewart (KSWF) in comparison to the OBS from Montgomery (KMGJ). KMGJ is only about 7 miles west of KSWF, and about 100 lower in elevation, but KSWF is only about 4.5 miles from the Hudson and then tend to run a couple of degrees warmer.

MGJ always runs 2-3 degrees cooler.. The Hudson has a big influence on weather down here compared to Upstate. If I'm in mistaken but isn't it at its widest point in the Lower to Mid HV?

The snow averages also increase as you move away from the Hudson.

Interesting... practically every model with its 0z run entirely reversed from showing a closed low and instead shows a weak cold front moving through followed by another round of cool temps and sunny skies for the weekend. NWS Albany even calls the change drastic in their discussion:

DRASTIC CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE WEEKEND PORTION OF THE

FORECAST. THE 00Z GFS/ECMWF/GGEM/UKMET ARE ALL NOW DEPICTING A DRY

WEEKEND...AS THE PREVIOUSLY FORECAST CLOSED LOW TRACKING ACROSS OUR

REGION OVER THE WEEKEND HAS BEEN REPLACED BY A PROGRESSIVE OPEN WAVE

TROUGH MOVING ACROSS SOUTHERN QUEBEC FRIDAY NIGHT. SO THE

CHARACTERISTIC...TIMING...AND TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM HAVE ALL CHANGED

DRAMATICALLY. HAVE INCREASING CONFIDENCE IN THIS SOLUTION...AS NCEP

MODEL DIAGNOSTICS ARE ALSO RECOMMENDING THIS CHANGE. AFOREMENTIONED

MODELS IN REMARKABLY GOOD AGREEMENT GIVEN SUCH A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE.

IN LIGHT OF THESE CHANGES...WILL ONLY FORECAST SLIGHT CHANCE POPS

FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING ASSOCIATED WITH A

MOISTURE-STARVED COLD FRONT PASSAGE...WITH THE MAIN LOW CENTER

PASSING THROUGH WELL NORTH OF THE REGION.

I was surprised this morning when I read this too in the Upton discussion. No mention of the drastic changes like Albany but the switch to a dry frontal passage. It's looking like a bonfire will be a go on Saturday night.

Friday night into Saturday...00z models now in better agreement as

the High Breaks down and an upper level trough and surface cold

front push across the region. The new 00z GFS and 00z European model (ecmwf) in good

agreement with front and trough as it will be more progressive and

less amplified. In addition...the weak front now appears as if it

will push across the region dry. So have lowered probability of precipitation to have a dry

forecast through this period.

Looking quite chilly again for Saturday night with the scenario change. NAM at hour 81 (not worth a whole lot) has widespread low-mid 40s with 30s in the high elevations with 850mb temps near 2-4C, cooler than the recent cool air mass, although the GFS is also similar with the overnight lows.

EDIT: The 0z GFS is almost 5 degrees warmer for some places compared to its previous run. I wouldn't be surprised if its 18z run and the latest NAM may be a bit too cold but the overall theme of widespread 40s for lows with 30s in the higher elevations is still present with such a cool air mass and a high pressure moving in.

f81.gif

Tomorrow is a pefect day for apple picking in Warwick.

We were considering going apple picking this weekend but when I checked a couple of places online it didn't seem like many varieties were available yet, it's a little too early it would appear. Let me know what you find in person.

Great time around the campfire last night, perfect weather!

I always use KDIX unless the weather is coming from the NW then I'll use Binghampton until it gets in KDIX range. I find that we are close enough to get good returns but far enough not to deal with ground cover

FWIW, none of the sites are particularly good for Orange. I’ve found KDIX can offer an good overview of the area in certain situations but it’s too far away to be used for a detailed view. The radar beam from KDIX is 1.8 miles above Orange.

Beam heights in miles from site to mid Orange County

KENX 1.38

KOKX 1.4

KBGM 1.84

KDIX 1.8

I usually use KOKX but I look at all of them.

FWIW, none of the sites are particularly good for Orange. I’ve found KDIX can offer an good overview of the area in certain situations but it’s too far away to be used for a detailed view. The radar beam from KDIX is 1.8 miles above Orange.

KENX 1.38

KOKX 1.4

KBGM 1.84

KDIX 1.8

I agree KOKS is the best beam. However, it doesn't show anything west of us which is annoying if you want to get a picture of whats coming out of PA/ Upstate. In addition, in clear air mode, there is never any ground clutter up here from KDIX. With GRLevel3 I find the storm presentation in Sussex and Southern Orange more than acceptable,

KENX 1.38

KOKX 1.4

KBGM 1.84

KDIX 1.8

I bounce around all the various radars nearly all of the time to get a better idea of what's around. As you pointed out we kind of get lost around here in between the various offices and radars.

Archived