• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Would you trade...

HoarfrostHubb

Some folks had a monster 6 week period last season... great snowpack, big events, etc.

Now and then we get a dead ratter...like 1979-1980

If you could go back to Dec 1 2011 and be given the choice of getting that 6 weeks, but would have to suffer through a winter like '79-80 the next year, would you do it?

(fwiw, Jan-Feb was "meh" for me last year)

No, absolutely not. Then again, my response probably has more to do with my location than anything else. With a 77" annual average, an average snowfall winter can still be pretty good around here, particularly if it's cold and we build up a good snowpack. In addition, I like having consistency. I'd rather have 2 or more consecutive average winters than having one with an epic 6 week period followed by one or more dead ratters. Dead ratter winters suck no matter how you slice it, especially in an area where the local economy depends on a regular snowpack.

However, if I lived in the coastal plain of SW CT like I used to (or anywhere else with an average of less than 50" a winter), my answer would undoubtably be different. As an average winter was about 28" there, they were all kind of boring and monotonous save for the occasional snowstorm or epic 6 week period like we had last year. Dead ratter winters in coastal SW CT can be about 10-15". Pretty sad. The jubilation brought on by a great 6 week pattern in a place like this should be enough to make a snow lover happy for a while since you know it may be a long time before it happens again.

Some folks had a monster 6 week period last season... great snowpack, big events, etc.

Now and then we get a dead ratter...like 1979-1980

If you could go back to Dec 1 2011 and be given the choice of getting that 6 weeks, but would have to suffer through a winter like '79-80 the next year, would you do it?

(fwiw, Jan-Feb was "meh" for me last year)

Yes.

1972-1973 looks pretty awful... anyone want to share what they know?

It was. That poor winter and the gas crisis of 73 led to massive carryover in the Snowmobile business and huge consolidation in the industry. There were over 100 snowmobile manufacturers in the early 70's and by the end of the decade there were about a dozen.

Archived