joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In just a few minutes fall will officially be here. That means we are one day closer to the first real shot of winter weather. Thanks for posting the models above and the outlooks. It seems this year should be more exciting than last year. Of course, it would be hard to get less exciting.

Hmm

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE KANSAS CITY/PLEASANT HILL

216 PM CDT THU SEP 27 2012

KSZ057-060-MOZ043>046-053-054-272315-

MIAMI-LINN KS-CASS-JOHNSON MO-PETTIS-COOPER-BATES-HENRY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PAOLA...MOUND CITY...RAYMORE...

HARRISONVILLE...PLEASANT HILL...WARRENSBURG...SEDALIA...

BOONVILLE...BUTLER...RICH HILL...CLINTON

216 PM CDT THU SEP 27 2012

...FUNNEL CLOUDS SIGHTED OVER HENRY COUNTY...

MISSOURI LAW ENFORCEMENT HAS REPORTED SIGHTINGS OF A FEW BRIEF

FUNNEL CLOUDS NEAR CLINTON. THESE FUNNEL CLOUDS ARE DEVELOPING IN

ASSOCIATION WITH SMALL THUNDERSTORMS IN WEST CENTRAL MISSOURI. ANY

ADDITIONAL THUNDERSTORMS THAT DEVELOP THIS AFTERNOON MAY RESULT IN

BRIEF FUNNEL CLOUDS...MAINLY SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 13.

ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS EXIST THAT FAVOR THE POSSIBLE FORMATION

OF WEAK CIRCULATIONS ON A PRE-EXISTING BOUNDARY. SOME OF THESE

CIRCULATIONS ARE OCCURRING UNDERNEATH DEVELOPING SHOWERS AND

THUNDERSTORMS...WHERE A FUNNEL CLOUD MAY DEVELOP. ONCE THE RAIN

BEGINS...THE FUNNEL CLOUD USUALLY DISSIPATES.

LOW HANGING CLOUDS CAN ALSO APPEAR TO DIP UP AND DOWN AT TIMES...

BUT THEY WILL NOT SHOW SIGNS OF ANY RAPID ROTATION. AN ACTUAL

FUNNEL CLOUD WILL EXHIBIT SPINNING IN A COUNTER-CLOCKWISE DIRECTION.

IN RARE INSTANCES THESE FUNNELS MAY BRIEFLY TOUCHDOWN. STAY ALERT

AND BE PREPARED TO MOVE TO A SAFE SHELTER IF A FUNNEL CLOUD

APPROACHES THE GROUND.

CPC found their blue crayon and are calling for a below normal Oct. We do have colder air coming in.

off15_temp.gif

Also, I just checked the Wxcaster CFS maps for the first time this year. It's looking colder and wetter than I remember it showing last year. We're all going to freeze to death around Christmas according to it.

http://www.wxcaster.com/cfs_charts.htm

Brrrrr, it's cold out there today.

Remember that Brett Anderson posts his interpretation of the Euro weeklies and monthlies on his blog, he's not sure we're going to have an El-Nino this year:

http://www.accuweath...-blogs/anderson

The CFS2 latest outlook has cooled things down as far as temps go. The latest outlook (E3) went back to just mild anomalies and the area isn't nearly as big:

http://origin.cpc.nc...wang/cfsv2fcst/

According to the only study I can find about Winters around this area......

http://www.nwas.org/...1/Pg13-Lupo.pdf

"An examination of the interannual variability of SWMO snowfalls revealed that ENSO-neutral winters produced more snowfall events than the EI Nino or La Nina snowfall seasons, but the result was not statistically significant."

But, since the PDO will likely be negative, the study goes on to say that during negative PDO years, El Nino produces more snowfalls. It's up in the air if we'll have a weak El-Nino or if we will be neutral.

Also the CFS v2 long range:

http://www.wxcaster.com/cfsv2_charts.htm

Good post JoMo. I see the GFS is just going bonkers in the long run with an active pattern featuring eastern/central troughs, split flows, and tons of precip. 16-day precip for this area showing 8+ inches of rain over that timeframe. I'd give a lot to see this kind of pattern develop and stick around most of the winter.

Good post JoMo. I see the GFS is just going bonkers in the long run with an active pattern featuring eastern/central troughs, split flows, and tons of precip. 16-day precip for this area showing 8+ inches of rain over that timeframe. I'd give a lot to see this kind of pattern develop and stick around most of the winter.

Yeah today's 12z GFS has a 360-384 hour fantasy snowstorm for areas just north of Wichita northeast up past St. Joseph, MO and on NE of there.

If we do get ENSO neutral conditions, this is the typical winter pattern.

ensoneutral.gif

It doesn't really look that bad for us as the area to the north of the wet area may actually get more snowy type precip due to the storm track. We would rely on Southwest type lows to be our snow makers and that's typically how we get snow around here anyway since the clippers usually miss us to the northeast.

I've been looking at the CFS v2 forecast maps, not because I think they will be accurate but just to see the general pattern it is predicting. It does show a jet configuration like the one above for ENSO neutral conditions. We get a few SW lows that produce snow for our area but the eastern trough really hangs in there.

http://www.wxcaster.com/cfsv2_charts.htm

Jackpot rains here over the past couple of days. Good for filling up some of the ponds that have about gone dry since summer. 5.10" in the gauge since Friday AM.

It has been nice. We should see more according to the GFS and Euro as a western trough will develop possibly placing us in an active SW flow. SW Canada should build a nice snow pack along with the northern Rockies.

JAMSTEC updated today.

Not much difference from the Sept run in the temp department:

temp2.glob.DJF2013.1oct2012.gif

A little drier than last months run for us as they heavier precip shifted off to the east a bit more. Being below normal on precip isn't always a bad thing since it could be snow instead of liquid precip.

tprep.glob.DJF2013.1oct2012.gif

Jamestec not looking bad IMO. Almost looks more ninaish though than Nino.

It's looking better than last year, that's for sure. Of course, last year was kind of an anomaly. I have been liking the looks on the extended portions of the models showing a trough over the northern states dipping down. They've also been showing a lot of snowpack building in western Canada.

I'm starting to worry a bit about winter. The GFS has held storminess near Alaska on the long range runs for a long time now. That looks a lot like what happened last year. I'm hoping it breaks down by the time we get into winter.

OK stay with us now JoMo. This winter will be nothing like last winter. Way too early to jump off the cliff yet man.

OK stay with us now JoMo. This winter will be nothing like last winter. Way too early to jump off the cliff yet man.

That's true and all signs point to a more negative AO this winter, and El-Nino still lives.

It's just not a good thing to see that storminess near Alaska. We still have a month or so until we start getting remote chances of snow though so hopefully that pattern will break down or retrograde more to the northwest or southwest up there by the time we get to December. The recent CFS v2 run is looking better but that changes on a weekly basis. The run up on Wxcaster shows a pattern in December of cold air on the eastern side of the Rockies with storm systems coming out of the southwest, which looks really good for us.

That's true and all signs point to a more negative AO this winter, and El-Nino still lives.

It's just not a good thing to see that storminess near Alaska. We still have a month or so until we start getting remote chances of snow though so hopefully that pattern will break down or retrograde more to the northwest or southwest up there by the time we get to December. The recent CFS v2 run is looking better but that changes on a weekly basis. The run up on Wxcaster shows a pattern in December of cold air on the eastern side of the Rockies with storm systems coming out of the southwest, which looks really good for us.

That's good news. I'm really hopeful going into this winter. Don't know why just a gut feeling I guess plus the possible Nino that looms. Curious to see Doug's winter forecast this yr.

That's good news. I'm really hopeful going into this winter. Don't know why just a gut feeling I guess plus the possible Nino that looms. Curious to see Doug's winter forecast this yr.

yeah, I'm hoping so. I've been watching the models and the GFS is breaking towards having a system coming across the US the 2nd week of Nov that looks to cool us down. It had been showing a pretty warm and boring pattern.

Archived