• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
My call on the Dec 12-13 Event

FoothillsNC

First the 5H feature has a good snow band across northern Tn, and Ky heading eastward to ne Tn, nw NC this evening, then immediately the flow switchs after that feature is absorbed and the Upslope begins. The models have good wrap around RH across the Tenn Valley into northern Ala and Ga for a while before lifting to the Apps region , where it remains pointed until probably Tuesday morning, maybe later Tuesday midday. The extreme cold air, with pockets of -15 and -17 for Tennesse and NC look like they should help ring out some extreme ratios for the higher elevations, so my forecast is low I'm sure in some of the best upslope spots. Likely some areas will have over 12" by the end from this event, and much more of eastern Tenn gets into prolonged snow than last time. A few flakes may streak across into the Piedmont or foothills of NC but probably not enough to create accumulations, but in strong upslope events a few flakes can survive the trip east. High winds and very cold temps should develop the high mountain passes of Tenn and NC into full fledged blizzard conditions by midday Monday.

post-38-0-39552700-1292172748.jpg

GFS:

post-38-0-72450500-1292172773.jpg

NAM:

post-38-0-70364300-1292172787.gif

post-38-0-21120800-1292172812.gif

post-38-0-60236100-1292172828.gif

post-38-0-26026900-1292172968.gif

post-38-0-00506000-1292173195.gif

post-38-0-24930600-1292172983.gif

Excellent post as always!:thumbsup:

thanks Rosie. The radar is lighting up now ahead of the cyclonic flow , this area should start to fill in a lot over today, and probably some accumulations with that. Then late tonight the flow becomes more n, nw and keeps snow going in n. Ga for a while. The models really nail eastern half of Tenn with a pretty long period of snow showers, as well as into n. Ga and of course Tn/NC upslope regions which really kick in tomorrow.

post-38-0-51830200-1292174354.jpg

Dusting, but the main bulk of this doesn't appear to be here yet.

yeah NE TN is still too far ne for the main stuff going on now with the cyclonic flow, but hang on yours is on the way. I'd love to hear some reports from between BNA and Cookesvile Looks like they've been getting moderate all afternoon.

yeah NE TN is still too far ne for the main stuff going on now with the cyclonic flow, but hang on yours is on the way. I'd love to hear some reports from between BNA and Cookesvile Looks like they've been getting moderate all afternoon.

I talked to a friend of mine on FB in Jackson. He mentioned that the church that he was supposed to preach at had cancelled classes. We didn't talk totals, but the roads were bad. Someone on the C. Plateau ought to score pretty big w/ this by the looks of the radar. That webcam photo on the other thread was pretty impressive near Nashville. The roads here were terrible w/ the one burst we've had so far. I can only imagine what it will be like when the other bands move in.

Foothills thanks again for all of your info! I've really learned a lot from you and others the last few years when it comes to weather. Weather is a great hobby, especially the winter time. Even though most of our snow chases fail, it's always fun to follow them and hope this will be the one. When folks in the South get that snow, we kind of become a kid again.

Just wanted to say I really appreciate your insights and how you always include Tennessee is your postings. Looks like this winter we have a few more folks from Tennessee posting.

Light snow falling here now with little over an inch of snow. Looking forward to some heavier snow overnight. Temperature at 21 F.

First the 5H feature has a good snow band across northern Tn, and Ky heading eastward to ne Tn, nw NC this evening, then immediately the flow switchs after that feature is absorbed and the Upslope begins. The models have good wrap around RH across the Tenn Valley into northern Ala and Ga for a while before lifting to the Apps region , where it remains pointed until probably Tuesday morning, maybe later Tuesday midday. The extreme cold air, with pockets of -15 and -17 for Tennesse and NC look like they should help ring out some extreme ratios for the higher elevations, so my forecast is low I'm sure in some of the best upslope spots. Likely some areas will have over 12" by the end from this event, and much more of eastern Tenn gets into prolonged snow than last time. A few flakes may streak across into the Piedmont or foothills of NC but probably not enough to create accumulations, but in strong upslope events a few flakes can survive the trip east. High winds and very cold temps should develop the high mountain passes of Tenn and NC into full fledged blizzard conditions by midday Monday.

post-38-0-39552700-1292172748.jpg

GFS:

post-38-0-72450500-1292172773.jpg

NAM:

post-38-0-70364300-1292172787.gif

post-38-0-21120800-1292172812.gif

post-38-0-60236100-1292172828.gif

post-38-0-26026900-1292172968.gif

post-38-0-00506000-1292173195.gif

post-38-0-24930600-1292172983.gif

very gud call

xwx

Foothills thanks again for all of your info! I've really learned a lot from you and others the last few years when it comes to weather. Weather is a great hobby, especially the winter time. Even though most of our snow chases fail, it's always fun to follow them and hope this will be the one. When folks in the South get that snow, we kind of become a kid again.

Just wanted to say I really appreciate your insights and how you always include Tennessee is your postings. Looks like this winter we have a few more folks from Tennessee posting.

Light snow falling here now with little over an inch of snow. Looking forward to some heavier snow overnight. Temperature at 21 F.

I'll ditto that!

Still not done snowing here. Southeast Davidson County ( Metro Nashville) seems to win on accumulation county wide. Amounts of 4-5" have been reported. To the west about 30miles amounts of 5" and locally higher have been reported. North of Nashville also reporting in over 4" at places. Good accumulations area wide.

One inch of snow at the moment...

I thought that 5H vort would have got east TN more, but turns out it maxed out over central TN. You're still in for some accum. snow showers though

Here's the Nashville report last night;

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS THUS FAR FOR MIDDLE TN

HERE ARE A FEW HIGHER SNOWFALL TOTALS ACROSS THE MID STATE AS OF

1030 PM....

HICKMAN COUNTY....6 INCHES

FENTRESS COUNTY...5 INCHES

PUTNAM COUNTY.....4 INCHES

WILLIAMSON COUNTY 4 INCHES

STEWART COUNTY....4 INCHES

DICKSON COUNTY....4 INCHES

SUMNER COUNTY.....4 INCHES

WILSON COUNTY.....2.5 INCHES

WARREN COUNTY.....2 INCHES

DAVIDSON COUNTY...2 INCHES

I thought that 5H vort would have got east TN more, but turns out it maxed out over central TN. You're still in for some accum. snow showers though

Here's the Nashville report last night;

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS THUS FAR FOR MIDDLE TN

HERE ARE A FEW HIGHER SNOWFALL TOTALS ACROSS THE MID STATE AS OF

1030 PM....

HICKMAN COUNTY....6 INCHES

FENTRESS COUNTY...5 INCHES

PUTNAM COUNTY.....4 INCHES

WILLIAMSON COUNTY 4 INCHES

STEWART COUNTY....4 INCHES

DICKSON COUNTY....4 INCHES

SUMNER COUNTY.....4 INCHES

WILSON COUNTY.....2.5 INCHES

WARREN COUNTY.....2 INCHES

DAVIDSON COUNTY...2 INCHES

Over 2 here and still snowing! Great call!:snowman:

One inch of snow at the moment...

That's amazing you only ended up with an inch. I measured 4 inches in the area shielded from the wind at my house. My house is pretty exposed to the wind so parts of the yard really exposed to the wind had 1 inch, then had drifts in the yard up to 9 inches. Saw a picture from a friend that had a 2 1/2 ft drift of snow outside their basement door. Crazy how you can have snow amounts all over the map over an area. Just depended on if you got under those heavier snow bands. This was one of the better snows that we've had in my area in many years. WIll try to get some pictures later if I can.

Posted much of this in another thread. It really looks as if the northern area snow associated with the 5h feature really "dumped out" this side of clinch mountain and you folks in the tri-city area got screwd...in a bad way!

As of 9 a.m 5.5 inches new snow here. since then just light snow showers along with strong winds. So, no additional. Favored upslope sections of the county are still mounting up, however.

NWS reports of 7 inches just to my east in the Town itself and 8-10" just south of Pennington gap. Many of the higher eles have no doubt a foot or more by now. No official reports from those areas yet.

does anyone in TN have any totals to report? I've seen a few reports around Nashville of 5". The band there today has been impressive for central Tennessee.

Robert,

Overall, your call was VERY good. In Johnson City, amounts ranged from about 3 in south Johnson City, to around 2 or a little better in north Johnson City. Erwin and Unicoi (just south of JC) ended up with between 4 and 5 inches. Looks like Kingsport got jobbed on this one. Hard to sit and watch good snow bands just off to your west and not get any. Oak Ridge had about 6 this morning (just north of Knoxville) and my friends in middle Tennessee (north of Nashville) reported in to me with 3 inches or so. My father in Westmoreland (near the KY line - north of Nashville) ended up with about 4.

Thanks for all your hard work for us "tennesseans". I hope we can all cash in on an area wide southern snowstorm between now and Christmas. Take care man.

David

Archived