• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Happy Belated 20th Birthday to "The Perfect Storm"

I still am amazed at how a storm with a center hundreds of miles away and weakening as it moved westward produced 15-20 foot waves and destructive coastal flooding and damage on Long Island.The old EBS radio whistle was used for real for the first time to evacuate people from LI due to the destructive waves and floods.Every inch of coastline from Maine to Florida had massive waves and coastal flooding.I went down to the beach early on Halloween morning and could not believe the waves and the sound of the ocean.A few waves overwashed the boardwalk nearly sweeping several of us away.I could see the moon while the winds were howling at over 50MPH rare to see that sort of thing.

Only the DEC 1992 Noreaster had more significant coastal flooding but even that storm does not match the coverage or intensity of the 1991 storm.

I still am amazed at how a storm with a center hundreds of miles away and weakening as it moved westward produced 15-20 foot waves and destructive coastal flooding and damage on Long Island.The old EBS radio whistle was used for real for the first time to evacuate people from LI due to the destructive waves and floods.Every inch of coastline from Maine to Florida had massive waves and coastal flooding.I went down to the beach early on Halloween morning and could not believe the waves and the sound of the ocean.A few waves overwashed the boardwalk nearly sweeping several of us away.I could see the moon while the winds were howling at over 50MPH rare to see that sort of thing.

Only the DEC 1992 Noreaster had more significant coastal flooding but even that storm does not match the coverage or intensity of the 1991 storm.

Where do you have evidence that this was the most destructive Nor'Easter on record?

There was damage from Florida up to Maine.Hurricanes are known to do that but not Noreasters,not to that extent.

I worked in Toms River NJ at the time. We had epic flooding in our offices, warehouse, and parking lot in an area that has not seen a drop of flooding since. Major inventory write offs and emergency renovation after that storm. Water topped out at 42" on average over the entire property.

I worked in Toms River NJ at the time. We had epic flooding in our offices, warehouse, and parking lot in an area that has not seen a drop of flooding since. Major inventory write offs and emergency renovation after that storm. Water topped out at 42" on average over the entire property.

Many areas have had similar results.There were waves in the Bahamas and PR if I am not mistaken.This was a huge storm.It was like an Atmospheric Tsunami.

In terms of damage, it's not even close: $200 million from the perfect storm, $2 billion from the 1992 coastal low. But yes, the perfect storm was an impressive meteorological event.

In terms of damage, it's not even close: $200 million from the perfect storm, $2 billion from the 1992 coastal low. But yes, the perfect storm was an impressive meteorological event.

The storm of the century (not a nor easter) cost over $6 billion.

Blizzard of '78 caused more damage, over $500 million.

Wonder what this storm caused in damge... a lot of trees down.

The storm of the century (not a nor easter) cost over $6 billion.

Blizzard of '78 caused more damage, over $500 million.

Wonder what this storm caused in damge... a lot of trees down.

Yeah, Blizzard of 93 was very costly, but as you point out I chose not to include it as it was not a nor'easter. Tornadoes and a 12' storm surge along the Gulf Coast added a few billion to the damage total with that beast.

I bet the recent snowstorm was costly, but certainly less beach erosion and wind damage than these other storms we're talking about should keep the net damage lower than it otherwise could have been.

Yeah, Blizzard of 93 was very costly, but as you point out I chose not to include it as it was not a nor'easter. Tornadoes and a 12' storm surge along the Gulf Coast added a few billion to the damage total with that beast.

I bet the recent snowstorm was costly, but certainly less beach erosion and wind damage than these other storms we're talking about should keep the net damage lower than it otherwise could have been.

December 1992 is probably the closest thing that will ever come to a Hurricane with significant coastal damage to highly populated areas and also give massive snowfall just inland. It was truly a one in a kind event. It was close to a hurricane in many coastal spots with some sustained 60-65mph winds and lots of gusts over 80mph....even breaching the 90mph in a few spots. The damage on Cape Cod was absolutely devastating....but it might have been worse in NJ or in LI sound.

Wait, what?

I thought I had seen a definition of a nor'easter somewhere that it was required that the low pressure center be off the coast at some point between FL and ME, and based on NARR reanalysis it's hard to say if it actually does (maybe briefly before crossing Long Island):

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/1993/us0314.php

However, the AMS glossary says they are usually 100 mi east or west of the coastline, so that could potentially mean greater than 100 mi inland:

http://amsglossary.allenpress.com/glossary/search?id=northeast-storm1

I guess that since Art said it was not a nor'easter, I figured my original assumption was correct, but I'll take that back.

December 1992 is probably the closest thing that will ever come to a Hurricane with significant coastal damage to highly populated areas and also give massive snowfall just inland. It was truly a one in a kind event. It was close to a hurricane in many coastal spots with some sustained 60-65mph winds and lots of gusts over 80mph....even breaching the 90mph in a few spots. The damage on Cape Cod was absolutely devastating....but it might have been worse in NJ or in LI sound.

And to think that it derived from the ET remnants of an intense typhoon (STY Gay).

Steve

In terms of NJ Nor’easters there are the March 1962 and December 1992 storms, nothing else compares to those 2 storms. The MAR 1962 storm was the worst storm from LBI south to Cape May primarily because of the duration that took place over 5 tidal cycles. DEC 1992 was definitely the more intense system & the greatest storm on record for the N. Jersey coast. Only thing that prevented the 1992 storm from being the clear cut winner was that the worst storm surge hit S. Jersey at the time of low tide.

My brother-in-law has a beach front house in Manasquan & these are some of the pics following the 1992 storm:

This is how the Manasquan beachfront looks today:

http://www.manasquan...-07%20088a.html

Off topic but why is the "Storm of the Century" not classified as a Nor'easter?

Archived