• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1st Fantasy Storm Thread

hazwoper

I bring this up every year and no one ever listens but what the hell I'll try again.

That map shows the 1000-500 mb thickness at a given time, specifically 11/7 at 0z. But the QPF is the total of the 12-hour period ending at 11/7 0z, which means that in reality you have rain followed by cold air rushing in as the storm departs. That's one of the many common errors when looking at forecasts in 12-hour intervals.

Oh and of course the obligatory hotdog.gif for posting a 300+ hour GFS map.

I bring this up every year and no one ever listens but what the hell I'll try again.

That map shows the 1000-500 mb thickness at a given time, specifically 11/7 at 0z. But the QPF is the total of the 12-hour period ending at 11/7 0z, which means that in reality you have rain followed by cold air rushing in as the storm departs. That's one of the many common errors when looking at forecasts in 12-hour intervals.

He should get a x2 weenie tag for making it a separate thread! :-)

Why don't you look at the actual gridded data before copying and pasting talking points?

Perhaps you should look at the previous 12 hours AND the next 12 hours before posting. I know it is 300 hours out, which is why I posted a thread called "1st FANTASY Storm Thread"

fan·ta·syplay_w2("F0033300") (fabreve.gifnprime.giftschwa.gif-semacr.gif, -zemacr.gif) n. pl. fan·ta·sies 1. The creative imagination; unrestrained fancy. See Synonyms at imagination.2. Something, such as an invention, that is a creation of the fancy.3. A capricious or fantastic idea; a conceit.4. a. Fiction characterized by highly fanciful or supernatural elements.b. An example of such fiction.5. An imagined event or sequence of mental images, such as a daydream, usually fulfilling a wish or psychological need.6. An unrealistic or improbable supposition.7. Music See fantasia.8. A coin issued especially by a questionable authority and not intended for use as currency.9. Obsolete A hallucination.tr.v. fan·ta·sied, fan·ta·sy·ing, fan·ta·sies To imagine; visualize.

post-240-0-73304900-1319569182.gif

post-240-0-43485500-1319569188.gif

Oh and Analog, the first 1.48" of the 2.68" total is clearly too warm (at KPHL) with 850's of +5 and +3. Sure the 850's drop to -5 for the last interval of heavy precip, but again I revert back to my original point that we don't know what's happening during that 12-hour interval.

And yeah you could say this will be an elevation snow and blah blah blah but let's face it, it's a 300-hour prog on the GFS that will be gone in an hour and a half when the 18z comes out, so don't cream your panties over it.

Oh and Analog, the first 1.48" of the 2.68" total is clearly too warm (at KPHL) with 850's of +5 and +3. Sure the 850's drop to -5 for the last interval of heavy precip, but again I revert back to my original point that we don't know what's happening during that 12-hour interval.

And yeah you could say this will be an elevation snow and blah blah blah but let's face it, it's a 300-hour prog on the GFS that will be gone in an hour and a half when the 18z comes out, so don't cream your panties over it.

Thunder.....you are such a tool. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about FANTASY do you not understand? I even put the definition above in my post. But, I guess the education at Valpo is lacking. Didn't you go to Bensalem High? I certainly know education is lacking at that institution.

But, I guess the education at Valpo is lacking.

Nope things here are fine, thanks for asking.

Didn't you go to Bensalem High? I certainly know education is lacking at that institution.

No. And yes, that is precisely why I did not.

If you want to post a fantasy storm, do it in the banter thread, or start a thread for all fantasy storms the entire season (although that's really a waste of AMWX server space imho)

I proved that even in your fantasy it's 75% rain. Sure you can claim that it's a fantasy, but I mean this is a weather board not a day-dreaming board.

What about FANTASY do you not understand? I even put the definition above in my post. But, I guess the education at Valpo is lacking. Didn't you go to Bensalem High? I certainly know education is lacking at that institution.

LOL that's basically the point, I NEVER said it was going to happen. BUT if we're analyzing THAT particular run of THAT particular model, YES, that IS a significant snowstorm for everyone.

Sorry, the Lakes/OV and Central/Western people are a bit more sedated (expect for the Ohio crowd tongue.gif). I forgot how much weenie crap there was here in Philly, and how this is just normal.

Perhaps then you should post in the OV thread and stay out of this one?

Thunder, I understand what the 12 hour difference means for the precip versus when the temps drop to a favorable level. In fact, I was taking Meteo and Atmospheric Science classes in college when you were still crapping in diapers. You need to think before you post in these threads.

Maybe Thunder is just unhappy there's a chance he might miss the biggest October snowfall in over 30 years? In that regard, I know how he feels...

I was thinking the same thing ;)

Seriously, though, I know that particular storm will most likely not come about, but I have seen these threads several times over the years here, and I enjoy the discussions that sometimes arrise.

Maybe Thunder is just unhappy there's a chance he might miss the biggest October snowfall in over 30 years? In that regard, I know how he feels...

That's not really saying much, haha. I'd rather wait til the middle of November and get 3x that much in one LES band, thanks. popcorn.gif

We all know that Accuweather said Chicago will see the worst of winter this year, and when Accuweather says it, it must be true. Snowman.gif

That's not really saying much, haha. I'd rather wait til the middle of November and get 3x that much in one LES band, thanks. popcorn.gif

So, are we going to constantly hear about snow in Indiana in threads here? Heads up, no one will really give a crap.

I'd say let our region have our fun...you enjoy your snow out in the middle of nowhere. :whistle:

So, are we going to constantly hear about snow in Indiana in threads here? Heads up, no one will really give a crap.

I'd say let our region have our fun...you enjoy your snow out in the middle of nowhere. :whistle:

I don't think he realizes that Valpo is NOT located in some major LES location like western NY. Valpo area averages about 38" a year. OOooooo....wowwwww

I don't think he realizes that Valpo is NOT located in some major LES location like western NY. Valpo area averages about 38" a year. OOooooo....wowwwww

I think you may be mistaken... were you looking at the Waterworks average? Not surprisingly, the Waterworks folks seem to measure low. Valparaiso 5NNE has averaged 55 inches over the last 8 years.

Hey, I hope he gets his snow and cold and has fun.....doesn't mean we can't have some fun around here looking for snowstorms in the long range.....while its not something I normally spend time looking at, I do enjoy a thread like this when it brings to light a potential storm, especially at this point in the season (when not much is really going on). Brings some excitement and chatter to our subregion, which ain't a bad thing at all.

Archived