wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The PHL/NYC Medium Range Thread - Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, but Tony and Wes made it sound like it would be going positive in spite of the MJO. That's that part I didn't follow, because I was thinking the MJO was forcing the pattern to the +PNA.

Adam,

Sorry for the confusion, I agree I think the reason we are seeing +PNA is because of the MJO, I was just wondering if the MJO does not get over to phases 8, et al and we still get a +PNA can we still attribute it to the MJO. I was under the impression that in the winter, the MJO had to stay out of the circle of death to affect change.

Adam,

Sorry for the confusion, I agree I think the reason we are seeing +PNA is because of the MJO, I was just wondering if the MJO does not get over to phases 8, et al and we still get a +PNA can we still attribute it to the MJO. I was under the impression that in the winter, the MJO had to stay out of the circle of death to affect change.

Gotcha. Yeah, we're on the same page then. This is way outside my area of expertise, but does the huge negative mountain torque going on right now have any effect as well? Or the anomalously strong East Asian jet we're currently seeing (leading to a more Nino like pattern)? I'm still trying to piece together all of my global teleconnections and you guys do a great job helping me learn.

It's there and on the coast, but still looking warm. There's not a lot of cold air in place according to either the GFS or Euro.

Is it warm for inland areas as well, like the Poconos, upstate Ny, etc???

Miller B on the EC @ hr 144....takes a perfect track nearly identical to the system we just had. Only problem is the temps. High pressure even looks to be in a good position. Maybe slightly east of ideal.

f144.gif

High pressure is in a horrible spot, for PA and NJ you want that high to be over the great lakes, once east of NY state, it becomes a negative, personally I'd want that high coming down from Canada to be a bit further south and closer to Midwest

High pressure is in a horrible spot, for PA and NJ you want that high to be over the great lakes, once east of NY state, it becomes a negative, personally I'd want that high coming down from Canada to be a bit further south and closer to Midwest

Too strong of a high and this thing stays supressed and OTS near the MA. We want the high over ENE.

Too strong of a high and this thing stays supressed and OTS near the MA. We want the high over ENE.

Nope for PA and NJ this is practically a law for High Pressure

Good set up: > 1020 - 1. West of Maine coast and/or north of PA/NY state border. 2. In extreme southeast Canada west of 65 degrees west Longitude or entrenched in Northern Plains/Midwest as a “banana high.”

The storm goes right over the BM. The problem is that there isn't really any cold air along the coast. That and it's also a weak storm.

it goes from 1004mb to 980mb in 24 hours...that is fairly potent to me.

im hearing no cold air...what a waste this would be.

Per euro its ice quickly over to rain, then maybe a brief peirod of frozen on the backend. What screws it up is there is an oho valley low also that initially pumps winds from the south and torches the bl, while the coastal is getting going.

If the coastal gets going faster and squashes the OV low, we could have a sleet storm.

Archived