Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Northern IL snow events

Thundersnow12

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first link worked, thanks! Will be spending probably several hours going through that! That storm puts the GHD storm to shame lol besides for amounts

Perhaps from a meteorological or upper air standpoint but not even close on ground truth Take the '87 storm(which was an extremely wet snow) and multiply its lightning,thunder,wind and longevity triple to equal the GHD event. Also, should note temps were above freezing or very close by snows end at daybreak in the 1987 snow fall. It was not a true blizzard in my estimation(although periods of it may verify) the GHD storm was truly a blizzard for nearly twelve hours consecutive. If you lived through both you would not even compare the two. Again, not speaking from a meteorological standpoint; only ground truth

sidenote: that was also the night Ditka almost got arrested for throwing a wad of gum at a San Fran fan in a Bears ass whipping by Montana and the 49ers..

Perhaps from a meteorological or upper air standpoint but not even close on ground truth Take the '87 storm(which was an extremely wet snow) and multiply its lightning,thunder,wind and longevity triple to equal the GHD event. Also, should note temps were above freezing or very close by snows end at daybreak in the 1987 snow fall. It was not a true blizzard in my estimation(although periods of it may verify) the GHD storm was truly a blizzard for nearly twelve hours consecutive. If you lived through both you would not even compare the two. Again, not speaking from a meteorological standpoint; only ground truth

sidenote: that was also the night Ditka almost got arrested for throwing a wad of gum at a San Fran fan in a Bears ass whipping by Montana and the 49ers..

I did live through both, and the '87 blizzard ranks right up there with it. 50-70mph winds with frequent thundersnow for several hours is not something that happens in northern Illinois very often. If temps would have been a little cooler through the column, I'm sure snow rates would have been absolutely outrageous with the '87 storm.

Sorry cannot agree. Plowed through both storms and while the storm was impressive as you state,snowfall rates were not as impressive, and lack of longevity and temp. profile contributed to a lesser storm. As for the thundersnow (understanding this can sometimes be a localized phenomena) what I experienced compared to the GHD storm was not even close. For that matter wasn't the final total for that storm only about 8 inches at ORD? Again, I am referring to ground conditions,not upper air.

I did live through both, and the '87 blizzard ranks right up there with it. 50-70mph winds with frequent thundersnow for several hours is not something that happens in northern Illinois very often. If temps would have been a little cooler through the column, I'm sure snow rates would have been absolutely outrageous with the '87 storm.

Just discussed this storm with my parents, since I wasn't alive at the time, and it took my dad three hours to get into work (what would normally be a 20-minute drive). Also, he said a friend of his who worked downtown (what would have been about a 10 minute trip from his house) took his skis to work as his mode of transportation (as you could well imagine, for those who are well-versed in the activity, it would have been more efficient than driving).

Just discussed this storm with my parents, since I wasn't alive at the time, and it took my dad three hours to get into work (what would normally be a 20-minute drive). Also, he said a friend of his who worked downtown (what would have been about a 10 minute trip from his house) took his skis to work as his mode of transportation (as you could well imagine, for those who are well-versed in the activity, it would have been more efficient than driving).

I was alive at the time of this storm, but too young to remember. My parents said it was one of the freakiest snowstorms they've seen in their live! Basically they described a frozen thunderstorm with lots of wind. Schools were closed and a lot of the neighbors didn't even try going to work. I've had some really long drives that are in reality 20 or 30 minutes. Especially during rush hours!

• 3 years later...

Archived