• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
18z Model Guidance 12/8

benfica356

this is what john is talking about the s/w that deamplifies everything. I circled the areas and compared the two in the 12z and 18z gfs runs. On the 12z gfs you can see how the pieces of energy are most closer together ready to begin phasing....the 18z gfs the pieces of energy are spread out a good bit which deamplifies it, almost like a kicker

Thanks...I created a gif image below that's pretty small but you can see the feature here too. It's over the Ohio Valley at this time frame and this is the time frame that best represents the de-amplification occurring. You can clearly see the differences between the 18z and 12z GFS, where on the 18z run the feature is stronger and further northeast. This acts to de-amplify the height field across the Northeast US and also subsequently slow the phasing process. Also interesting to note how the PV is further south this run. If it was in it's 12z position the surface low would have slid way off the coast.

post-6-0-29397200-1291848227.gif

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still perplexed as to where that lead shortwave came from (probably not a good thing). I think it has some to do with the initial clipper which was further south this run as well. The initial energy coming out of the Pacific escaped east towards the Ohio Valley and de-amplified the heights. Also, it's important to note that even around 60-72 hours the energy was slower. These two things combined led to the de-amplification and the trough going negatively tilted later.

I couldn't believe what I was looking at when we still had a positively tilted trough past Arkansas. If that does occur, this thing is not going to wrap up inland.

To be honest I don't really see a distinct new s/w. To me it just looks like vorticity/energy at the base of the trof is slightly less consolidated and slower to get its act together. The exact configuration of the mid/upper level flow is likely to change each run and so too will the surface evolution.

I thought the northern stream tends to be stronger in La Nina's ? Or maybe it was in comparison to the southern stream...

That's actually a good point, because then you could also argue that the southern stream energy should be faster, too.

Also, it might not even be a timing issue at all. Perhaps since the energy in general is less consolidated, that means the southern stream energy has to slow down, since the northern stream unconsolidated energy then acts as a kicker instead of a tug northward.

Or perhaps it's the other way around. :P

this is what john is talking about the s/w that deamplifies everything. I circled the areas and compared the two in the 12z and 18z gfs runs. On the 12z gfs you can see how the pieces of energy are most closer together ready to begin phasing....the 18z gfs the pieces of energy are spread out a good bit which deamplifies it, almost like a kicker

FWIW the GFS @ 12z was less amplified at 500 and less potent with the mid level vort than the Euro. It also was more progressive with the energy and the movement of the storm, which is why the GFS track is along I-95 for the most part. The northern flow is pushing this along and preventing the dig that the Euro uses to fire up a bigger storm.

I'm not going to get into specific nits about this run of the GFS but I think it's important to note that the GFS was good in '08-'09 at picking up the northern stream features sooner. It may ultimately trend back a bit in the end but I don't think things will be as warm or windswept on the front end...still a rain event but probably a much colder rain and not 60 like the Euro suggests.

Archived