e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
18z Model Guidance 12/8

benfica356

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM is probably headed towards a GFS solution but slightly less amplified if you ask me. The positioning of the H5 features are similar, the GFS just seems a bit faster with the Polar Vortex over Central Canada and it phases it in earlier. The Euro and GGEM have a completely different idea..that Polar Vortex is way further south on those models and is already partially phased into the shortwave at what would be the end of the NAM's run.

I'm most perplexed by the 12z Ukie which continues to be flat with the Polar Vortex and doesn't phase in until late..allowing the surface low to escape east and track from ACY to PVD.

Comparing the 12z NAM and UKMET, one can even argue that the UKMET has more argument for it's further east solution and that the NAM might wind up more inland given that evidence. The 300mb jet streak on the UKMET over the northeast is much more suppressed and further south (likely as a result of it's stronger upper level feature near the 50/50 position) and supports the upper level jet streak over the Central US tracking further south and east before amplifying. The NAM seems less involved with that 50/50 and as a result it's jet features over the Northeast are further north and likely would not mitigate the more northward development. Still nothing along the lines of the CMC or ECMWF, though, we can say with confidence.

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?mod2=ukmet&run2=12&stn2=V300&hh2=072〈=en&map=na&stn=V300&run=12&mod=nam&hh=072&comp=2&fixhh=1〈=en

Also--you can change to the GFS on the right panel given that link, and see how it is subsequently even further north with the jet streak over the Northeast. This is something that may open a window into where these models are heading earlier than the actual surface features come into play post-100 hours.

15z SREF means at 84 hours have the surface low over Northern Tennessee, but seem to be indicative of more displacement between that shortwave and the Polar Vortex..interesting.

looks like tonight's 00z runs could be very interesting. And who better to start the thread for it than me lol. But, first lets see 18z GFS before jumping the gun

Very impressive signature on the SREF's, regardless of where the amplification occurs and who gets the frozen precipitation. 160kt 250mb jet streak is roaring over the top of the ridge on the west coast and ready to amplify into the base of the trough over the Central United States. Interesting observation, the SREF mean's seem more progressive than the latest 18z NAM. The base of the trough and trough axis is in Southern Arkansas, while the 18z NAM is slower with the trough and shortwave...at that hour it is still back across Oklahoma. The SREF is also less enthused with the Polar Vortex.

More food for thought.

18z NAM extrapolated would yield a well inland track with little to no hope of frozen precip. And really it's not even close.

The only thing it had going for it last run was its relative flatness.

I would have to argue the potential for frozen precipitation in some areas away from the immediate coast...especially given the regression of the upper level low and the potential for secondary development similar to that of the 12z UKMET or 06z DGEX (can't believe I am referencing the DGEX, but it's a similar solution with the NAM probably a bit more inland).

18z NAM extrapolated would yield a well inland track with little to no hope of frozen precip. And really it's not even close.

The only thing it had going for it last run was its relative flatness.

Im not so sure it would be all that inland if the southern low is the one that takes over...I certainly dont think it would be to the extent of the 12Z Euro.

Archived