• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
18z Model Guidance 12/8

benfica356

I would have to argue the potential for frozen precipitation in some areas away from the immediate coast...especially given the regression of the upper level low and the potential for secondary development similar to that of the 12z UKMET or 06z DGEX (can't believe I am referencing the DGEX, but it's a similar solution with the NAM probably a bit more inland).

Earthlight, did you see the 18z DGEX? Its not looking good at all for around the DC/BAL/PHI/NYC corridor as the storm lacks any backend moisture and the storm takes a somewhat lousy track. Unfortunate but it is the DGEX.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earthlight, did you see the 18z DGEX? Its not looking good at all for around the DC/BAL/PHI/NYC corridor as the storm lacks any backend moisture and the storm takes a somewhat lousy track. Unfortunate but it is the DGEX.

Wasn't even sure it was completed yet, so no I haven't seen it. But thanks for the update--and I am not totally surprised by the solution.

Where is 18z DGEX out? What site?

Over on Allan's Raleigh site

Here ya go, 18z DGEX

Apparently the DGEX thinks we're going to see a 955mb low develop low near Rhode Island.

Seriously though, I am surprised with what I see on the DGEX. That's a completely offshore solution, actually, and the furthest thing from inland with the secondary. It is trying to redevelop the secondary along the frontal boundary--which offers hope for the suburban areas trying to see frozen precipitation.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/DGEXEAST_18z/f120.gif

I would have to argue the potential for frozen precipitation in some areas away from the immediate coast...especially given the regression of the upper level low and the potential for secondary development similar to that of the 12z UKMET or 06z DGEX (can't believe I am referencing the DGEX, but it's a similar solution with the NAM probably a bit more inland).

Fair points and you could be right. But I don't see it that way. The latest NAM is just too sharp at h5 with a huge jet max on the western flank about to sharpen the whole structure even further. The UKMET is on its own and would still bring mostly rain for most. The 06z DGEX was based on an initially much more progressive s/w that allowed the surface low to slide further SE before bombing. And I believe it is doubtful a solution like the GFS would actually produce much snow for the cities.

Over the next 2 runs, I expect the GFS to back off on the wraparound snow while maintaining a roughly similar track and the UK to trend westward. There's just too much data to suggest an inland track. Only with entrenched cold air and a northerly flow could be win with this track (or maybe a well placed bomb and late CAA).

Praying I'm wrong about everything.

Huh? The 18z DGEX is out on Ewall and it shows a backend blizzard for Philly north with about 1" of QPF as snow for some places. Not sure what you're looking at.

Fair points and you could be right. But I don't see it that way. The latest NAM is just too sharp at h5 with a huge jet max on the western flank about to sharpen the whole structure even further. The UKMET is on its own and would still bring mostly rain for most. The 06z DGEX was based on an initially much more progressive s/w that allowed the surface low to slide further SE before bombing. And I believe it is doubtful a solution like the GFS would actually produce much snow for the cities.

Over the next 2 runs, I expect the GFS to back off on the wraparound snow while maintaining a roughly similar track and the UK to trend westward. There's just too much data to suggest an inland track. Only with entrenched cold air and a northerly flow could be win with this track (or maybe a well placed bomb and late CAA).

Praying I'm wrong about everything.

You have fair points as well---all is fair in good argument. That's what these forums are for, right? :thumbsup:

Back to the discussion..I would agree with your points but I think the real game changer is how the NAM has the jet stream oriented at H250-H300. Notice the jet stream screaming east in the Northeast at the end of the run. This feature is well to the north on the GFS and especially the ECMWF and GGEM. The NAM extrapolation as a result shows that the primary goes north and then east, and by the time the Polar Vortex phase occurs, the secondary surface low develops on the offshore baroclinic zone and tugs northward. The potential exists for some snows with this feature anywhere from South-Central to Northeast PA, far Northwest NJ and into Upstate New York, if you ask me. That being said, the entire thing is still 114+hours away, so we are probably being overly analytical.

Im not so sure it would be all that inland if the southern low is the one that takes over...I certainly dont think it would be to the extent of the 12Z Euro.

It can't take over because the mid/upper levels support a low center near the lakes. When air converges near the surface or diverges high in the atmosphere, air pressure at the surface is low. And when it does both in the same spot, pressure drops or deepens. And the NAM depiction charts indicate this will happen too far NW to sustain a coastal snowstorm (barring wraparound of course).

But you're right, not quite like the 12z Euro.

Huh? The 18z DGEX is out on Ewall and it shows a backend blizzard for Philly north with about 1" of QPF as snow for some places. Not sure what you're looking at.

Well yes this is true, however bad for DC. I was looking at something else. It certainly isn't too bad for Baltimore north on the backend. If we are looking for a good coastal and actual snows not including backend this isn't our set up. My apologies once again, in the meanwhile liking the 18z GFS. Hopefully for us the DGEX is right on with the backlash though, I'd take 2'' in Baltimore, Philly gets around 9". Good stuff, lets keep it up.

At 72 hours the GFS is ready to amplify with the upper level jet streak expanding southeast over the top of the West Coast ridge, this should be wrapped up..but it's still slightly encouraging to see the de-amplified heights in the east initially. Wondering where this run will go at the surface..

Archived