• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Moderate Earthquake - L.A.

careful with a black op tropical mod Josh laugh.gif

so, with such a shallow depth where are the big crack pics with Godzilla coming out?

The color of someone's tag has no influence on how I interact with them.

The point is that there are gradations between total non-events (3.0) and significant events (6.0). That in-between zone includes 4.2 events happening close to the city, since that doesn't happen everyday.

I don't know what's so hard about this concept.

"We" as in the 9 million people living in metro L.A. I suppose a weather blogger in DC knows better! :lol:

I probably know about as much as you do on the subject... I've felt big California quakes too!!! I however wouldnt think of myself as an expert as you like to play here to unsuspecting Easties. Where you terribly concerned by the 4.6 over the weekend? You think maybe they are related or about to cause a super quake?

I probably know about as much as you do on the subject... I've felt big California quakes too!!! I however wouldnt think of myself as an exper as you like to play here. Where you terribly concerned by the 4.6 over the weekend? You think maybe they are related or about to cause a super quake?

:huh:

Dude, you're losin' it.

1) I am not an expert. My knowledge of quakes is from the point of view of an interested resident who's experienced a bunch and listens to the discussion on the local news all the time.

2) I'm not "concerned" about the event today-- I simply said we note it here, due to the 5% rule. Who said anything about a "super quake"? Not following.

Are you OK?

Dude, you're losin' it.

1) I am not an expert. My knowledge of quakes is from the point of view of an interested resident who's experienced a bunch and listens to the discussion on the local news all the time.

2) I'm not "concerned" about the event today-- I simply said we note it here, due to the 5% rule. Who said anything about a "super quake"? Not following.

Are you OK?

You attacked me, queen.

Dude, you're losin' it.

Are you OK?

You're impossible sometimes. You win. Don't care to play.

?

Why Josh thinks he is 'belittling' me as a weather blogger might be a good question.

How did I belittle you to suggest that maybe the opinion of a DC-area wx blogger isn't going to influence local habits here when it comes to monitoring seismic activity?

We're all wx bloggers here-- myself included-- so I don't understand why you think I would belittle that.

Actually, I made the thread not because of the magnitude, but because of the depth. 0.1 is nothing to laugh at when you're talking about an earthquake. Had the 5.8 earthquake in Virginia been at 0.1 depth, that would've been a hell of a news story.

The quake today was 4.5 miles deep....

The one in Virginia also registered 0.1 when it was first recorded. It is common for that to be the initial reading. 0.1 Kilometers is equal to 100 Meters below the surface, there are no plates at that depth to fracture.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/ci11001205.html

Sorry, Ian-- I don't get why you're getting this way. You got sarcastic because I said Angelenos note 4+ events close to the city, and when I pushed back about that, it became this big thing.

Show me people in USGS who get concerned over a 4.2 in an active seismic zone is all. I noted the other larger quake a few days ago that no one mentioned simply because of that fact... You have a penchant for getting snooty with me over some stupid ass **** and then try to spin it like I'm just some dude watching from 3,000 miles away who has no clue. I don't think I deserve that from you.

Sure it could mean something but it almost certainly does not. I think you would agree so let's not have some showy battle for no ****ing reason.

Visiting family this week in the LA area. Wasn't even sure if what I felt was an earthquake at the time. Growing up here I've felt far stronger. Last week's 5.9 in VA was definitely a lot more exciting, even if I was much farther. I sure have been getting lucky with earthquakes recently! Seems like every time I'm visiting somewhere they get a quake.

goddess of the quake. I watched her on TV (KNT?) after the 1992 quakes and so hoped her theory about two legs of a triangle theory was right.

Only quake that ever rolled me out of bed. It got me to the library reading about the White Wolf Fault, lookinng at fault offsets in the Grapevine, ok, she is probably my Mom's age, but for a young fellow geeky on natural disasters, she was Farrah Fawcett.

lucy.jpg

Show me people in USGS who get concerned over a 4.2 in an active seismic zone is all. I noted the other larger quake a few days ago that no one mentioned simply because of that fact... You have a penchant for getting snooty with me over some stupid ass **** and then try to spin it like I'm just some dude watching from 3,000 miles away who has no clue. I don't think I deserve that from you.

Sure it could mean something but it almost certainly does not. I think you would agree so let's not have some showy battle for no ****ing reason.

Who said anything about being concerned? I said no one is concerned-- it was mentioned in passing in the afternoon news. All I said was that things over 4 near the city are noted-- not that people get concerned.

Re: the snootiness, I feel sometimes you start in with it without realizing it. Read back in the thread. I don't start snootiness because I don't like it-- but if I sense it coming my way, I'll dish it back.

I think we've cleared the air, so great.

I see no reason for hurt feelings.

Between Mailbu mud slides, wildfires, race riots, and earthquakes, only so much adventure to living in SoCal.

I did the 405 in rain once. Not like the 610 in Texas in the rain. Sadly, saw it on TV, Death Valley has had more rain in 2011 than Houston. Of course, not TV worthy, but droughts and wildfires are unusual in Texas, they are almost the norm in Cali.

Did see a YouTube once of a decent SoCal F-0 or F-1 tornado...

Here's the tiny, "back-page" article in the LA Times Re: today's jiggle: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/09/la-earthquake-strongest-year.html

Interesting trivia: SoCal has been in an extremely quiet period seismically, as this little thing was the largest event in the region in over a year-- since the 7.2 "Easter Sunday" quake that hit near the CA/MX border on 04 Apr 2010.

Here's the tiny, "back-page" article in the LA Times Re: today's jiggle: http://latimesblogs....ngest-year.html

Interesting trivia: SoCal has been in an extremely quiet period seismically, as this little thing was the largest event in the region in over a year-- since the 7.2 "Easter Sunday" quake that hit near the CA/MX border on 04 Apr 2010.

Overdue.

goddess of the quake. I watched her on TV (KNT?) after the 1992 quakes and so hoped her theory about two legs of a triangle theory was right.

Only quake that ever rolled me out of bed. It got me to the library reading about the White Wolf Fault, lookinng at fault offsets in the Grapevine, ok, she is probably my Mom's age, but for a young fellow geeky on natural disasters, she was Farrah Fawcett.

lucy.jpg

I thought that was Josh? Wait, that's right, he's the Quake Queen.

Archived