joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential flooding rains next week?

tombo82685

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting wetter. HPC's newest qpf map shows Central and Eastern PA getting 3-7 inches over the next 5 days.

This map is more realistic. Again, can you say Agnes Redux? Parsley I was hoping to be wrong this time but this map is not good news for us. I hope PEMA is watching this storm carefully and I would be considering a state of emergency if I was the Governor early next week. Wilkes Barre and Harrisburg may experience severe damage from flooding along with the smaller boroughs along the Susquehanna. The poor Chesapeake Bay will get another shot of fresh water intrusion and the fishing industry will take another hit. For us, SOS as before. The Perky, Schuylkill, Neshaminy, Delaware, Passaic, and Raritan and all their tribs will be flooding again. Just plain nasty. Federal Disaster should be declared if this indeed comes to light

This map is more realistic. Again, can you say Agnes Redux? Parsley I was hoping to be wrong this time but this map is not good news for us. I hope PEMA is watching this storm carefully and I would be considering a state of emergency if I was the Governor early next week. Wilkes Barre and Harrisburg may experience severe damage from flooding along with the smaller boroughs along the Susquehanna. The poor Chesapeake Bay will get another shot of fresh water intrusion and the fishing industry will take another hit. For us, SOS as before. The Perky, Schuylkill, Neshaminy, Delaware, Passaic, and Raritan and all their tribs will be flooding again. Just plain nasty. Federal Disaster should be declared if this indeed comes to light

not looking good at all. :thumbsdown:

Wish I had a 150 hr GFS rain total. Extent of rain shield dereased some what on the 12Z, but the bullseye still in a bad place. Seems like each run of the GFS brings Katia ominously closer. May come close enough to rob some of the moisture from the remants of Lee (unbridled optimism) lol.

gfs_namer_150_precip_p60.gif

Strong suspicion that Katia will stop Lee and the front from moving out so quick and dump stationary and training storms on us. If that happens, it could be worse flooding than Katia hitting us. With two lows that close together, the winds maybe strong as well

This setup reminds me a bit of Floyd (1999) where it merged with a frontal boundry shortly after landfall which helped to maximize QPF. I live in Pompton Plains, NJ and as you know we probably couldn't even handle another 1-2" rain at this point let alone 4"+

CMC says close call for Katia and the global models in general are trending west slightly.

f156.gif

You really think that this will be as bad as Agnes? Or was it more sensationalizing the situation?

I say this because NWS in BGM, CTP, and PHL don't really talk about the type of catastrophic flooding you are talking about.

You really think that this will be as bad as Agnes? Or was it more sensationalizing the situation?

I say this because NWS in BGM, CTP, and PHL don't really talk about the type of catastrophic flooding you are talking about.

Because this is forecasted to be nowhere near Agnes. There was a big area of 15+ in C PA with Agnes, with a huge area of 10+ throughout the whole area with that event. This is forecasted to be MUCH less then that, with a 7 inch max in PA, at least so far. Every time we're forecasted to get any kind of rain, Grothar brings up historic events and rides them, like it's going to be the day after tomorrow. I would go with what the pros are saying at this point.

Given current modeling, I don't see this as being as bad as Irene anywhere except central PA if the orographic lift and frontal area concentrate in that area. I don't see the Mt Holly area as being in the bullseye this time, although I've been surprised a few times in my life.

00z 4 Sept

p120i00.gif

12z 3 Sept

p120i12.gif

As you can see, even though the full impact of events is now seen on the five day map and QPF totals are high in many areas, it is central PA which takes the brunt this time, and that zone has not shifted in at least three HPC releases. Unless things change, this will not be the end of the world for the Delaware basin. Susquehanna is another story.

I think this depends on your location, obviously. If significant rains are in the main stem river headwaters, the impact downriver will have a different consequence to the individuals impacted from Irene versus this potential event. I'm more concerned if there is 'inches' of rain in the Deleware headwaters then in my backyard...

Archived