• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential flooding rains next week?

tombo82685

I mentioned this earlier in the tropical thread if whatever comes about of that mess in the gulf could be transported northward along the cold front. Now the euro is starting to send the moisture northeastward. Not quite to our longitude but it gets to the carolinas and southern va. The euro already paints 1-1.75 for the region with the cold front solely. The gfs ens members are pretty bullish on the prospects of some big heavy rains. Not saying this is certain but the potential does exist for whatever comes out of the gulf could stream northeastward post labor day...discuss... the ukmet has the low sitting over new oreleans hr 144

heres the 18z model run tracks for invest 93

18zatcfearlyinvest1best.gif

f144.gif

f156.gif

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned this earlier in the tropical thread if whatever comes about of that mess in the gulf could be transported northward along the cold front. Now the euro is starting to send the moisture northeastward. Not quite to our longitude but it gets to the carolinas and southern va. The euro already paints 1-1.75 for the region with the cold front solely. The gfs ens members are pretty bullish on the prospects of some big heavy rains. Not saying this is certain but the potential does exist for whatever comes out of the gulf could stream northeastward post labor day...discuss... the ukmet has the low sitting over new oreleans hr 144

heres the 18z model run tracks for invest 93

18zatcfearlyinvest1best.gif

f144.gif

f156.gif

Tombo, 3 inches or more is serious flooding. 5 inches or more will be catastrophic-- worse than 1903 or 1955. Please watch the models carefully thanks

18z gfs ens mean is very wet for next week with the remnants of the gulf mess...dumps 3-4 inches. Probably some pretty juicy ens members in the 18z run.

Tom, this is one tough cookie to watch. Some global models had this drifting over NE, then kind of retrograding back south and West. While i see no defined track, this certainly bears watching. Not sure if the flow at h5 will transport this NE?

Or does the real flow to watch come @h7?

Tom, this is one tough cookie to watch. Some global models had this drifting over NE, then kind of retrograding back south and West. While i see no defined track, this certainly bears watching. Not sure if the flow at h5 will transport this NE?

Or does the real flow to watch come @h7?

Bri i think its like a squeeze play basically. With katia coming west to a degree and the trof coming down from the north and slowing down. Basically has an arrow pointed to the oh valley/mid atl northeast. The gfs cuts it off from the flow and causes it to creep at h5 This could have some kind of influence in terms of katia to down the road. Will be interesting labor day in terms of tracking potential.

new HPC map through 12z Wednesday

http://www.hpc.ncep....qpf/p120i12.gif

No way is this map right. The gap over PA is just plain wrong. The Susquehanna Valley - it is their turn to experience the heavy rain even though a slight jog east and we are all in trouble. Like Tombo said in an earlier post- the squeeze play is on and Katia is still a baserunner.

No way is this map right. The gap over PA is just plain wrong. The Susquehanna Valley - it is their turn to experience the heavy rain even though a slight jog east and we are all in trouble. Like Tombo said in an earlier post- the squeeze play is on and Katia is still a baserunner.

I was thinking maybe the Lee stuff hadn't progressed far enough north by that map's end date (early Wednesday), meanwhile the precip way up north is associated with the cold front Sunday / Monday? Maybe that explains the gap?

Another wet upcoming week, man ... this should be interesting to watch this develop. Any more flooding will just add to the misery index round the region. Will be watching closely what ya'll see coming. What amount of rainfall would trigger additional flooding? (looks like this rainfall may be spaced over 3 or 4 days)

Rain event is continuing to get more interesting central pa per latest GFS ensemble would get 3-4 inches. Just remember the GFS is not the best with convective activity so that is pretty high for the models and its ensemble. even with that being said the 1-2 inches it has for our area could easily cause flooding of small streams. poor Vermont gets hammered again as well.

00zgfsensemblep120120.gif

Archived