Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Irene OBS / Discussion Thread

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first TOR for Sussex County DE had what appeared to be a very strong tropical shower which had

solid rotation for a long time while over water. It weakened as it got close to Rehoboth Beach, but briefly

flared up again right before it reached the shoreline. That is about when the Waterspout was reported

(12:10 PM) as seen when also matching up the radar time with the report. The second TOR had a

much broader circulation until it closed in on Rehoboth Beach. It began to condense and appeared

to have its strongest low-level circulation at the 6:34 PM KDOX loop, which was located between and

almost right on top of Henlopen Acres and Lewes. Be interesting to see if anything matches up with

this radar observation.

The first TOR for Sussex County DE had what appeared to be a very strong tropical shower which had

solid rotation for a long time while over water. It weakened as it got close to Rehoboth Beach, but briefly

flared up again right before it reached the shoreline. That is about when the Waterspout was reported

(12:10 PM) as seen when also matching up the radar time with the report. The second TOR had a

much broader circulation until it closed in on Rehoboth Beach. It began to condense and appeared

to have its strongest low-level circulation at the 6:34 PM KDOX loop, which was located between and

almost right on top of Henlopen Acres and Lewes. Be interesting to see if anything matches up with

this radar observation.

It hit the area known as Nassau Station, behind the Villages of Five Points, on Route 9....getting reports on local news of 25 homes damaged.

hahahah no wonder why it didnt show the quote lol

The high winds in RIC kinda play into a point Mount Holly made about the highest winds occurring towards the end of the event as the center passes by. Wouldn't surprise me if that (not 70, but the strongest gusts) occur as the eye passes to the east.

eye?

Certainly appears that way, and it also looks like the circulation center is jogging NNE after some NEward movement.

Are there any more recon flights?

Edit: Here's the latest VDM:

000 URNT12 KNHC 272350 VORTEX DATA MESSAGE  AL092011
A. 27/23:40:40Z
B. 36 deg 38 min N   075 deg 44 min W
C. 700 mb 2664 m
D. 60 kt
E. 125 deg 86 nm
F. 208 deg 74 kt
G. 123 deg 64 nm
H. EXTRAP 952 mb
I. 11 C / 3056 m
J. 13 C / 3060 m
K. 12 C / NA
L. Open E-S
M. C9
N. 12345 / 7
O. 0.02 / 0 nm
P. AF304 3409A IRENE              OB 06
PRELIMINARY, DO NOT RETRANSMIT
MAX FL WIND 74 KT SE QUAD 23:23:10Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 700 MB

ugh, not good news to hear. And a long way to go.

Yeah....Feel sorry for those people because now their houses are gone and the core of the Hurricane isnt here yet.....

Another Tornado, or possibly the same one, might have gone through Henlopen Acres as well..

Jesus. Lewes is a great area. Sucks they got pwned like that.

Went about a mile from my house and right behind my workplace and former house(next development over, they are side by side)....I think we heard the roar of it at one point...thought it was the rain on the roof at the time(rain was amazingly heavy during the storms passage.)........and the NWS reisssued the TOR Watch.....ugh....long night ahead.

Jesus. Lewes is a great area. Sucks they got pwned like that.

Yup, the whole Delaware shore region is beautiful.....ironically as I sat on their beaches this summer many times, I said to myself "wow, a tropical system would really kicked the crap out of their shoreline". And, here we are tonight.

Certainly appears that way, and it also looks like the circulation center is jogging NNE after some NEward movement.

Are there any more recon flights?

Edit: Here's the latest VDM:

000 URNT12 KNHC 272350 VORTEX DATA MESSAGE  AL092011
A. 27/23:40:40Z
B. 36 deg 38 min N   075 deg 44 min W
C. 700 mb 2664 m
D. 60 kt
E. 125 deg 86 nm
F. 208 deg 74 kt
G. 123 deg 64 nm
H. EXTRAP 952 mb
I. 11 C / 3056 m
J. 13 C / 3060 m
K. 12 C / NA
L. Open E-S
M. C9
N. 12345 / 7
O. 0.02 / 0 nm
P. AF304 3409A IRENE              OB 06
PRELIMINARY, DO NOT RETRANSMIT
MAX FL WIND 74 KT SE QUAD 23:23:10Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 700 MB

What do you believe pressure will be when it gets to Jersey? I'm guessing no more than 960. It should be over water the entire time until second landfall.

Yup, the whole Delaware shore region is beautiful.....ironically as I sat on their beaches this summer many times, I said to myself "wow, a tropical system would really kicked the crap out of their shoreline". And, here we are tonight.

We stay at a B & B in Lewes every October. Hoping she holds without much damage tonight.

Archived