mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Good Chance for Svr Tstms on Sunday 8/21/11

Dark Energy

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The storms near Allentown need to organize and push east with the entire complex. It's been a very strange convective evolution and we are once again completely overcast here.

Very odd evolution, those storms seem to be progressing north while the rest heads east. Wonder if they are absorbed and the entire complex continues east. If anything it might be indicative of the spin.

enough of the debbie downer talk... u guys even look at radar ?

Not being a debbie downer. Just stating the fact that where I live along the coast on long island A LOT of things have to go right to get a good thunderstorm not even severe limits. Where as to the west jersey, se ny, eastern pa severe thunderstorms are a lot easier to come by because of their territory and minimal seabreeze/ocean effect problems

So basically severe threat going bye bye?

not completely but for good severe weather you really need discrete development and the activity is just too numerous right now. The activity down by Philly still posses a threat, but I think this is becoming more of a heavy rain with embedded thunderstorm type event

Thats what i was wondering too...if late tonight we have a better shot... but with the rain moving through now and radar not looking that great out further west i'm skeptical

This is a very strong cold front for this time of the year.Dewpoints are going to drop 20-25 degrees behind the front.I believe we get some good storms right along the front later on tonight around midnight or so.

even without the severe weather, lots of 0.25"+ per hour rainfall rates over northern PA that will be crossing over into northern NJ which would be capable of dropping an inch or two of rain in a short period of time.

One thing about Floyd, I remember that year as being a fairly dry summer and beginning of September before it hit. It dumped about 10" of rain here, and there was some major flooding, but nothing as bad as we even had this March. I wonder how much different it would be with a tropical storm moving through as saturated as the ground currently is.

0.63" and still pouring here. Had some awesome CTG lightning before. Big cells firing NE of PHL look to be on track for Monmouth. It appears CNJ sw into SE PA was the hot spot today. S-N moving convection cut off the inflow to the W-E moving MCS in PA, stabilizing the atmosphere in front of those storms. Now we've just got rain/embedded thunder heading towards NNJ, with the strongest cells along the sern fringe of the former MCS.

One thing about Floyd, I remember that year as being a fairly dry summer and beginning of September before it hit. It dumped about 10" of rain here, and there was some major flooding, but nothing as bad as we even had this March. I wonder how much different it would be with a tropical storm moving through as saturated as the ground currently is.

Yup. August was quite wet ahead of Floyd, though.

pcp.gif

pcp.gif

pcp.gif

pcp.gif

0.63" and still pouring here. Had some awesome CTG lightning before. Big cells firing NE of PHL look to be on track for Monmouth. It appears CNJ sw into SE PA was the hot spot today. S-N moving convection cut off the inflow to the W-E moving MCS in PA, stabilizing the atmosphere in front of those storms. Now we've just got rain/embedded thunder heading towards NNJ, with the strongest cells along the sern fringe of the former MCS.

This is now probably the most active T-storm season in memory for my area. Great June, ok July, and phenomenal August (A+). Most years we're lucky to have one month out of the summer that's excellent.

Archived