• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Sierra Nevada Mountains Discussion

Since it is now the second week in August I figured I'd start a thread for anyone who lives or is interested in discussing the amazing weather that the Sierra's have to offer. At this time of the year the temperatures in the Sierras average from the low 80's around 3500 feet to the low to mid 60's above 7000 feet. At night the temps can drop into the 30's at this time of year. It is not long before snow will once again begin to fall. Many places above 6500 feet average at least a trace of snow in the month of September. August is usually the last month of "boring" weather in the Sierras, because come September and especially October the storm train will get rolling once again. Hopefully this thread can provide anyone who's interested in the Sierras weather a place to talk about how wild the Sierras can get, because believe me the weather here can get extremely wild. For example last winter season areas around Donner Pass received over 750 inches of snow and Squaw Valley High Camp recorded almost 900 inches. Places like Serene Lakes and Tahoe Donner still have an inch of snow on the ground with bigger piles from last seasons snow!!! I hope we can use this thread all throughout this upcoming Storm/Winter season in the Sierras and have lots of fun doing it

Enjoy!

I've seen it snow in Aug in the Sierra, mainly at resort level but it does happen. I guess it probably snows every month iof the yr if conditions are right. Best part is that they get dumps of snow followed by a week of sun.

I've seen it snow in Aug in the Sierra, mainly at resort level but it does happen. I guess it probably snows every month iof the yr if conditions are right. Best part is that they get dumps of snow followed by a week of sun.

No doubt its perfect for skiing when its sunny but yet you have 8 feet of fresh powder. I know elevations as low as Truckee (5850ft) average at least a half inch of snow in september.

We had an unofficial thread already for last winter, but it is better to have an official.

I love the Sierra Nevada and the weather out there. Definitely one of my favorite mountain ranges in the US, and I want to ski out there soon. Mammoth is at the top of the list.

No doubt one of the best if not THE best mountain range IMO. I definitly have a high intrest in moving here within 10 years.

Since it is now the second week in August I figured I'd start a thread for anyone who lives or is interested in discussing the amazing weather that the Sierra's have to offer. At this time of the year the temperatures in the Sierras average from the low 80's around 3500 feet to the low to mid 60's above 7000 feet. At night the temps can drop into the 30's at this time of year. It is not long before snow will once again begin to fall. Many places above 6500 feet average at least a trace of snow in the month of September. August is usually the last month of "boring" weather in the Sierras, because come September and especially October the storm train will get rolling once again. Hopefully this thread can provide anyone who's interested in the Sierras weather a place to talk about how wild the Sierras can get, because believe me the weather here can get extremely wild. For example last winter season areas around Donner Pass received over 750 inches of snow and Squaw Valley High Camp recorded almost 900 inches. Places like Serene Lakes and Tahoe Donner still have an inch of snow on the ground with bigger piles from last seasons snow!!! I hope we can use this thread all throughout this upcoming Storm/Winter season in the Sierras and have lots of fun doing it

Enjoy!

It looks like KTVL at 6200 feet averages 80.3F, 41.9F in July. That is cooler than 6200 feet in my area of Colorado. The Cheyenne high plains area averages 83.4F, 55.2F in July, and that is 6100 ft.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sierra Crest is about to get slammed with its first fall season storm.

Snow levels will probably drop down past 7000 feet. Heavy SN above 8000. Nothing out of the ordinarily for out there, but the first big snow of the fall is a significant event.

post-999-0-76900500-1317648124.gif

post-999-0-70808500-1317648125.png

Parts of Tahoe Donner ( A huge development just NW of Truckee with elevations ranging from 6000 feet to over 7400 feet) got over 2 feet of snow from this system. Pretty crazy for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

A wintry pattern is in place right now across the sierras. A storm that moved through last night brought up to a foot of snow. Another storm will be moving in tomorrow into Sunday bringing up to another foot or more of snow due to higher snow ratios with cold temps. After this storm some places in the sierra will already have close to 60 inches of snow this season and its only the first week in November.

• 4 months later...

Archived