• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's talk Storm Shelters

Being how I was about 2 1/2 blocks from the EF-4 portion of the tornado that passed through Joplin, I realized that I really didn't have a safe place to go if another tornado were to hit. There is no basement in the house and it's built on a concrete slab. Joplin doesn't have a lot of basements due to rocky soil, high water table and cost.

I'm looking at an above-ground steel storm shelter to put in the garage as I don't want to have to deal with the cost of retrofitting the house with an internal saferoom and don't want to deal with any problems an underground shelter would pose.

I'm looking at a company called TwisterSafe, they are located not far from here and these shelters have proven themselves.

This was actually in a neighborhood not far from here directly in the path when the storm was EF-4, EF-5, there was nothing left of the house.

tom%20cook.jpg

And this was over by East Middle School which was probably EF-3

Grace%20Ln%20web.jpg

I do know that the shelters they make have doors that open outward instead of inward, which makes me a little uneasy mainly because I don't really want to be trapped in one of these things. However, they state that they open outward because it makes for a stronger door?

Anybody have any experience with any kind of storm shelter and what would you recommend or look for in one of these?

Being how I was about 2 1/2 blocks from the EF-4 portion of the tornado that passed through Joplin, I realized that I really didn't have a safe place to go if another tornado were to hit. There is no basement in the house and it's built on a concrete slab. Joplin doesn't have a lot of basements due to rocky soil, high water table and cost.

I'm looking at an above-ground steel storm shelter to put in the garage as I don't want to have to deal with the cost of retrofitting the house with an internal saferoom and don't want to deal with any problems an underground shelter would pose.

I'm looking at a company called TwisterSafe, they are located not far from here and these shelters have proven themselves.

This was actually in a neighborhood not far from here directly in the path when the storm was EF-4, EF-5, there was nothing left of the house.

tom%20cook.jpg

Grace%20Ln%20web.jpg

I do know that the shelters they make have doors that open outward instead of inward, which makes me a little uneasy mainly because I don't really want to be trapped in one of these things. However, they state that they open outward because it makes for a stronger door?

Anybody have any experience with any kind of storm shelter and what would you recommend or look for in one of these?

They tyhe4orize you can get trapped in a storm shelter, but I've never heard of a person who died from being trapped in one.

A dutch door would be your best bet because the top would still open if something was lying on the ground in front of the bottom. I don't know if they make shelters with them though.

IF you are in a city area, I would not worry too much about the door opening outwards. In the unlikely event debris did pile up in front of the door you probably would not have to wait long for help. You might want to consider an air horn or some sort of loud noise maker to alert anyone that you are inside. But I would keep emergency supplies, lie a flashlight, water and maybe a few power bars.

I can say from personal experience the one time I was concerned about a tornado is that I brought water and a 6' breaker bar into the basement. I also considered getting a chain saw, but I was not that worried that it would actually happen (it didn't), but I would in the future as part of an emergency plan, along with shutting off the main electric breaker (which also kills the water).

IF you are in a city area, I would not worry too much about the door opening outwards. In the unlikely event debris did pile up in front of the door you probably would not have to wait long for help. You might want to consider an air horn or some sort of loud noise maker to alert anyone that you are inside. But I would keep emergency supplies, lie a flashlight, water and maybe a few power bars.

I can say from personal experience the one time I was concerned about a tornado is that I brought water and a 6' breaker bar into the basement. I also considered getting a chain saw, but I was not that worried that it would actually happen (it didn't), but I would in the future as part of an emergency plan, along with shutting off the main electric breaker (which also kills the water).

Yeah that's true. Unless most of my neighbors were injured or didn't make it or something, they would check on the shelter. I know I wouldn't want to be trapped in one in case there was a gas leak or something that occurred since the gas meter is on the outside of the garage. I do know search and rescue to search them since the one in the top pic I posted has an "OK" painted on the side.

Good call on the air horn, I did not think about that..

It's going to have water and probably some kind of non-perishable food as a just in case. Also, probably a battery powered radio, and a flashlight for sure. Also important documents will be taken in there as well.

They meet the FEMA 320 standard which means a 15 lb, 2x4 going 100 MPH will not pierce the shelter. Of course that says nothing about flying steel or other debris piercing the shelter.....

^ Great idea. Something like that is actually a cool idea.

What is this shelter made out of? I would go with an I beam support system with high quality cement around the walls.

. But a hole in the ground is alao pretty good storm shelter.

A thick heavy steel pole works as well. Just rope your foot onto it and you'll be a human flag, but a flag can't get hit with debris since it is always downwind of the post.

tom%20cook.jpg

Grace%20Ln%20web.jpg

Be sure to store butter, a baster, and an apple to place in your mouth, because when they finally unblock that oven door you'll be cooked to a crisp.

JoMo you might try missouri storm shelters or joplin fire and safety . I got my storm shelter through a guy named Chris Brummet that worked for them . He also has Brummet excavation that does the installs on those shelters .. send me a p.m and i can send you my addy if you want to come by and look at mine here in Joplin. the top door is a little rusty from getting beat on by hail but otherwise great and sound lol ..

Graphene + steel plates???

I know graphene is super expensive, but maybe if production ramps in 10-15 years, graphene would be a plausible add for exterior reinforcement with shelters.

Obviously way too expensive now...

Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives to build a safe room?

Someone built a concete+steel, dome-like home to make sure their home was never destroyed again by a hurricane.

Any thoughts on creating a 'mini' version of these in the garage of slab homes?

using Tapatalk

JoMo you might try missouri storm shelters or joplin fire and safety . I got my storm shelter through a guy named Chris Brummet that worked for them . He also has Brummet excavation that does the installs on those shelters .. send me a p.m and i can send you my addy if you want to come by and look at mine here in Joplin. the top door is a little rusty from getting beat on by hail but otherwise great and sound lol ..

yeah I was looking at Missouri Storm Shelters as well. Joplin Fire and Safety (Reliable storm shelters) only does below ground shelters don't they? I need an above ground in my garage.

Do you know of any photo proof that the Missouri Storm Shelters have survived at least an EF4 direct hit like the TwisterSafe ones?

I don't really trust the bolt-together shelters and everything else is a bit too expensive.

Graphene + steel plates???

I know graphene is super expensive, but maybe if production ramps in 10-15 years, graphene would be a plausible add for exterior reinforcement with shelters.

Obviously way too expensive now...

Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives to build a safe room?

Someone built a concete+steel, dome-like home to make sure their home was never destroyed again by a hurricane.

Any thoughts on creating a 'mini' version of these in the garage of slab homes?

using Tapatalk

You mean something like this?

http://www.monolithic.com/

Yeah, I realized that some homes were swept away in primarily EF-4 damage and the ones that weren't were heavily damaged with wooden missiles penetrating deep into the structures.

If it was a new house, I'd have it built into the house like you did, Beau. But I can't absorb the $10k+ for removing the walls/roof or adding an addition.

I don't really want to do an outdoor shelter for the reasons you mentioned and due to the high water table, over a few years, they have a tendency to 'float' up out of the ground, especially considering the yard frequently turns into a small pond in the Spring.

The steel shelter that is bolted in the garage that your friends had put in is what I'm looking into for my garage. They all look to be built about the same. 1/4" steel for the outside, angle ironed frame, 1/4" anchor bolts. the NSSA shelters open to the inside while the TwisterSafe shelter opens to the outside because it creates a stronger door which is the weak point of the whole system.

My thoughts on shelters. You don't need standing headroom, crouching headroom and a seat inside is fine. Whatever you can do to reduce the size of an object that will be subject to high speed debris and wind will help. Smaller is stronger and offers less of a target plus lower total wind loads.

If you make it crouching height, you instantly have the ability to put a hatch in the top for exit if debris is an issue, stand on seat with hatch open and you're clear (we're talking a big, fabricated steel hatch here). Smaller is also cheaper to build and takes up much less space. I can't see why an inward opening door couldn't be built more than strong enough, it's all about the latch/hinge/rebate design.

A shelter would be easy to build out of sat 1/2" steel plate, weld angle around the base, use many concrete fasteners and it's not going anywhere. Using steel, it could be welded in situ by a competent welder. I think a shelter could easily be built by someone who could weld, have the plates etc precut and assemble in situ.

If building or buying a steel storm shelter, put a good set of earmuffs inside it, one set for each occupant. it WILL get noisy. I'd even go as far as to suggest a thin layer or sprayed on foam insulatuion inside, this would also help if you were undiscovered or trapped for a few hours.

Even a second hand vault of appropriate size would work, just have the door modified so there is no lock mechanism.

Decided to go with a TwisterSafe brand steel above ground shelter. I toured inside one and saw one that was in the EF-3 portion of the storm. It had some paint chipped off but was otherwise pretty much unscathed.The doors do open outward but it provides better protection and room then an inward opening door. I gotta say, a 250 lbs door is pretty heavy, lol

Thanks for the comments and ideas on what to put in there.

Here's the story on one of the ones that survived when the house was reduced to splinters.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20110602/NEWS01/106020364/-1/NLETTER01/Hard-lesson-saves-family?source=nletter-news

Archived