Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV : (Not During Storms) OBS Discussion/Banter Thread

famartin

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad brought his infrared thermometer to the beach and the temperature of the sand was anywhere between 115-130 degrees. And Yes it is quite unpleasant on the beach if you are not in the water.

I was in Avalon, NJ earlier in the week. The ocean water went from the comfy 70s on Sunday to unbearable (mid 60s?) Monday and Tuesday on a south wind which even kept my kids out of the water. If the water is still that cold, I pity the fools who went to the beach for relief today.

Wondering also whether RDG cracked 100 for the third straight day.... Four straight hourly readings of 99 but it might have eeked out 100 in between readings. :weight_lift:

I was in Upstate NY the past three days...

It was 105 in Watkins Glen, NY on Thursday, 95 on Friday, about 88 when we left there about 2 PM today.

The heat up there sucked but they didn't have the humidity you guys had on Thu/Fri...that's one sh**ty run of heat/humidity you all had while I was away.

I was in Avalon, NJ earlier in the week. The ocean water went from the comfy 70s on Sunday to unbearable (mid 60s?) Monday and Tuesday on a south wind which even kept my kids out of the water. If the water is still that cold, I pity the fools who went to the beach for relief today.

Wondering also whether RDG cracked 100 for the third straight day.... Four straight hourly readings of 99 but it might have eeked out 100 in between readings. :weight_lift:

RDG did hit 100 at 3:56pm

I was in Upstate NY the past three days...

It was 105 in Watkins Glen, NY on Thursday, 95 on Friday, about 88 when we left there about 2 PM today.

The heat up there sucked but they didn't have the humidity you guys had on Thu/Fri...that's one sh**ty run of heat/humidity you all had while I was away.

Crazy heat up in the Finger Lakes Region. Love Watkins Glen, usually I go in the cooler autumn though :)

Crazy heat up in the Finger Lakes Region. Love Watkins Glen, usually I go in the cooler autumn though :)

Thursday was just insane...was like being in a blast furnace. Friday was still quite hot but we're on the boat most of the day or at the dock, which wasn't too bad at all...

Final highs today

PHL 101

PNE 103

LOM 100

VAY 100

ILG 100

PTW 100

DYL 100

MQS 97

WRI 98

TTN 104

MIV 98

UKT 97

ACY 105

NEL 100

XLL 97

RDG 100

DOV 99

ABE 98

Ray... what was your parent's high for today?

TTN is baking...

Ray... what was your parent's high for today?

TTN is baking...

They were 101. Here's something I came up with this evening when I was thinking about yesterday's 106 and today's 104...the graph covers the last 160 months ending in June.

post-39-0-42402200-1311479802.gif

They were 101. Here's something I came up with this evening when I was thinking about yesterday's 106 and today's 104...the graph covers the last 160 months ending in June.

That makes it official. You have way too much time on your hands. tongue.gif

Seriously though, a very interesting trend. Any development changes that would cause TTN to feel a minor "heat island" of its own over the last 13 years?

That makes it official. You have way too much time on your hands. tongue.gif

Seriously though, a very interesting trend. Any development changes that would cause TTN to feel a minor "heat island" of its own over the last 13 years?

Not as far as I can tell. Its quite unusual. If you look really hard you can almost see two "steps", one around month 75 (June 2004) and one around month 140 (November 2009). I do recall that December 2009 was the first time I began to suspect that it was running a little warm, during that first snow event when it was running 34 during much of the snowfall, yet my parents were reporting an inch of accumulation. 34 seemed too warm for that to be happening as precipitation wasn't all that heavy (and if it was you'd expect it to dip to 33 or 32).

A question: what level 850s do we usually need to make 100 degrees this time of year (as in 20c 850s?) And same for hitting 90 - whart 850s level?

The "old rule" in this neck of the woods I believe has always been take the 850s on the models and add 15C and that will give you the potential high for the day.

These past few days 850s were 23-25C.....

(850s-23C)+15C=(38C)100F

(850s-25C)+15C=(40C)104F

____

With that said, I'd aim for 17-18C for 90 degrees and 23-24C for 100 degrees. This would assume plenty of sunshine for optimal heating.

All this heat is setting up for a serious tropical season for us? Maybe 1955? is an example where we had heat like this and then back to back hurricanes along the coast in August which caused the worst flooding since the early 1900's. Just a thought

'99 -- bone dry summer, floodgates opened up mid August capped off with Hurricane Floyd.

Not as far as I can tell. Its quite unusual. If you look really hard you can almost see two "steps", one around month 75 (June 2004) and one around month 140 (November 2009). I do recall that December 2009 was the first time I began to suspect that it was running a little warm, during that first snow event when it was running 34 during much of the snowfall, yet my parents were reporting an inch of accumulation. 34 seemed too warm for that to be happening as precipitation wasn't all that heavy (and if it was you'd expect it to dip to 33 or 32).

An equipment change or other maintenance at the site?

The "old rule" in this neck of the woods I believe has always been take the 850s on the models and add 15C and that will give you the potential high for the day.

These past few days 850s were 23-25C.....

(850s-23C)+15C=(38C)100F

(850s-25C)+15C=(40C)104F

____

With that said, I'd aim for 17-18C for 90 degrees and 23-24C for 100 degrees. This would assume plenty of sunshine for optimal heating.

Thanks again! I will write that down as a handy little reference.

Archived