CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD/Elko, NV : (Not During Storms) OBS Discussion/Banter Thread

famartin

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isolated but where it dumped this afternoon, it dumped.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

531 PM EDT TUE JUL 05 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0400 PM HEAVY RAIN 4 NE FELTON 39.05N 75.53W

07/05/2011 M2.70 INCH KENT DE COCORAHS

2.70 INCHES OF RAIN FELL WITHIN 75 MINUTES ALONG WITH

MINOR FLOODING REPORTED. THE LOCATION IS 3.6 MILES

NORTHEAST OF FELTON.

&&

$$

sounds like a disease may be getting to them or bugs

I think it is because of the dry conditions, adding stress to the trees. I am seeing some maples dropping some leaves as well, including the one in my backyard. Not a lot of leaves, but some have fallen over the last few weeks.

I think it is because of the dry conditions, adding stress to the trees. I am seeing some maples dropping some leaves as well, including the one in my backyard. Not a lot of leaves, but some have fallen over the last few weeks.

could be, i just thought trees were hardier, since there root system is so expansive. Also, since they are under stress they are more vulnerable to diseases and what not same with turf.

could be, i just thought trees were hardier, since there root system is so expansive. Also, since they are under stress they are more vulnerable to diseases and what not same with turf.

I have seen trees drop some of their leaves during a stretch of hot and rather dry conditions, then they are fine the following season. At least I am hoping this is the cause of what my maple tree is doing and not a sign of some disease. It looks healthy otherwise.

I have seen trees drop some of their leaves during a stretch of hot and rather dry conditions, then they are fine the following season. At least I am hoping this is the cause of what my maple tree is doing and not a sign of some disease. It looks healthy otherwise.

yea its most likely stress.

yea its most likely stress.

The trees in my yard range old over 50 years old, to a few under 5 years. The over 50 year old trees did the same thing last summer.....a little later in the season though. Its been drier though here since mid-May compared to last year. The younger, more vibrant trees (my cherry trees) are doing the same thing. Not massive leaf drop, but some, especially today with the breeze blowing. Its been rough summers back to back for vegatation around here.

The trees in my yard range old over 50 years old, to a few under 5 years. The over 50 year old trees did the same thing last summer.....a little later in the season though. Its been drier though here since mid-May compared to last year. The younger, more vibrant trees (my cherry trees) are doing the same thing. Not massive leaf drop, but some, especially today with the breeze blowing. Its been rough summers back to back for vegatation around here.

My yard is browning with the dry afternoon humidity. One good way of telling how dry it is is the sycamore leaves are browning and falling and more important is the bark is shedding. The sycamore is 40 years old so I know the root system is deep. Also my Kousa tree berries will be limited because of the dry weather. It was 91.5 today. The westerly winds are drying out the woods behind my house. No mosquito problem. What concerns me though is this current scenario is setting up for another Floyd event in August or September. A Diane event is not out the question at this time. With the current weather patterns in place, any tropical storm can easily ride up the coast and I firmly believe that this pattern will come to fruition like 1955

Isolated but where it dumped this afternoon, it dumped.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

531 PM EDT TUE JUL 05 2011

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0400 PM HEAVY RAIN 4 NE FELTON 39.05N 75.53W

07/05/2011 M2.70 INCH KENT DE COCORAHS

2.70 INCHES OF RAIN FELL WITHIN 75 MINUTES ALONG WITH

MINOR FLOODING REPORTED. THE LOCATION IS 3.6 MILES

NORTHEAST OF FELTON.

&&

$$

WOW! I didn't even bother to check radar at all, because I didn't see a single cloud the entire day.

My sweetgum trees are starting up already as well...a few leaves here and there.

I've had to water my garden as much as twice a day though -- mornings (to keep everything moist) and afternoon (to help the impatiens and part shades recover from their fun in the sun) since it's been so dry. I had to replace a juniper a couple of weeks back and the yard was rock hard below the top couple of feet...we definitely could use a slow, soaking rain...dare I say a quick moving tropical storm (or remnant) would not be a bad thing right about now, provided it doesn't come in like Floyd, Jeanne, or Hanna. :axe:

My yard is browning with the dry afternoon humidity. One good way of telling how dry it is is the sycamore leaves are browning and falling and more important is the bark is shedding. The sycamore is 40 years old so I know the root system is deep. Also my Kousa tree berries will be limited because of the dry weather. It was 91.5 today. The westerly winds are drying out the woods behind my house. No mosquito problem. What concerns me though is this current scenario is setting up for another Floyd event in August or September. A Diane event is not out the question at this time. With the current weather patterns in place, any tropical storm can easily ride up the coast and I firmly believe that this pattern will come to fruition like 1955

Shedding sycamore bark is not a strong indicator of drying conditions. I have at least a dozen or so in my neighborhood of various ages, and they are seemingly in some state of shed all year long, and I've lived here 27 years. Good article on theories why sycamores shed.

We are fairly fortunate up here in east central Northampton County in terms of rainfall. In June, we received 3.30", which is probably a bit more than areas in the western part of the Lehigh Valley got. This month we are at 2.15" MTD, thanks to Sunday's rain.

Shedding sycamore bark is not a strong indicator of drying conditions. I have at least a dozen or so in my neighborhood of various ages, and they are seemingly in some state of shed all year long, and I've lived here 27 years. Good article on theories why sycamores shed.

We are fairly fortunate up here in east central Northampton County in terms of rainfall. In June, we received 3.30", which is probably a bit more than areas in the western part of the Lehigh Valley got. This month we are at 2.15" MTD, thanks to Sunday's rain.

Sorry, Eastonwx, I should have stated in my post that the Sycamore tree is located in an urbanized but floodplain soils.. As the soils are drying out, increased shedding is noticed. The article in your post really does not point out to one particular reason for the shedding but to three theories on why these trees shed. Still interesting to read though. I disagree on the rainfall amounts- the eastern part of the valley has been slammed while the western portions have been left high and dry. My brother lives in Tatamy and he can agree with you on the rainfall amounts in Lower Mt. Bethel/Forks Township area. Unfortunately I have had only .86 rainfall in the past four weeks in Western Lehigh County and that came basically in one event June 24,2011

Archived