joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Prelim Tornado Assessment

Turtle

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, great stuff, thanks El, hope that's the last EF3 assessment of your career.

Ain't that the truth!

The hardest part for me was interviewing the residents and other folks I met up with during the survey. Also met several folks from outside the tornado track that had to check it out. But, one guy I met in Monson came from Belchertown and just wanted to help out. What folks out there...helping their neighbors.

--Turtle ;)

The Google Map is very well-done and very accurate. Impressed.

We took a Magellan device with us that could take snippet shots (way points, I believe they were called...I didn't do this part) and GPS sitings at several of our stops from Monson to Southbridge. I believe that one of my partners on day 1 (Thursday, 6/2) of the survey took it with him on day 2, the re-assessment in Monson and a couple of other stops. Not sure, but maybe my boss took it up with him during the aerial survey later on day 2 (Friday 6/3).

Thanks for the feedback. It really does match up so well with the NASA satellite shot.

Also, if you go to the "Reports" section, our severe reports are all plotted on a Google map that you can zoom in and out of. You can really see ALL the reports we got that day. CRAZY!

--Turtle ;)

We took a Magellan device with us that could take snippet shots (way points, I believe they were called...I didn't do this part) and GPS sitings at several of our stops from Monson to Southbridge. I believe that one of my partners on day 1 (Thursday, 6/2) of the survey took it with him on day 2, the re-assessment in Monson and a couple of other stops. Not sure, but maybe my boss took it up with him during the aerial survey later on day 2 (Friday 6/3).

Thanks for the feedback. It really does match up so well with the NASA satellite shot.

Also, if you go to the "Reports" section, our severe reports are all plotted on a Google map that you can zoom in and out of. You can really see ALL the reports we got that day. CRAZY!

--Turtle ;)

Eleanor, I was just curious as to what the peak damage was in the City of Springfield. Some of it looked significant, but I was curious as to whether any EF3 damage occurred there or if it was limited to points east.

Eleanor, I was just curious as to what the peak damage was in the City of Springfield. Some of it looked significant, but I was curious as to whether any EF3 damage occurred there or if it was limited to points east.

Hello!

I didn't do that portion of the survey, and haven't gotten together with the other team to find out what they saw. I have seen some of the photos, though, and it was amazing to see some of the damage they had. I saw at least two buildings with portions of the top floor taken off (both were brick buildings), with the front facade of an apartment building taken off (yet another brick building). We literally have hundreds of photos between the 4 cameras we had out there.

With the current severe weather threat we had last evening and another one later today, don't know if I will be able to ask around until Friday at the earliest. Plus, have to get ready for an outreach event at the Museum of Science in Boston on Saturday (Extreme Weather Day!). I'll try to find out.

--Turtle ;)

Hello!

I didn't do that portion of the survey, and haven't gotten together with the other team to find out what they saw. I have seen some of the photos, though, and it was amazing to see some of the damage they had. I saw at least two buildings with portions of the top floor taken off (both were brick buildings), with the front facade of an apartment building taken off (yet another brick building). We literally have hundreds of photos between the 4 cameras we had out there.

With the current severe weather threat we had last evening and another one later today, don't know if I will be able to ask around until Friday at the earliest. Plus, have to get ready for an outreach event at the Museum of Science in Boston on Saturday (Extreme Weather Day!). I'll try to find out.

--Turtle ;)

Ah no worries. The tornado was pretty spectacular on camera as it went through Springfield, was hard to believe what was being shown.

OK folks...

Here's more fodder for ya.

Our webmaster has set up a special section on our website (weather.gov/boston) with detailed data, INCLUDING reflectivity and velocity loops.

Here's the link:

http://www.erh.noaa....011_summary.php

--Turtle ;)

Thanks for posting this.

You folks did an outstanding job with this series of events.

The info you has given the public is appreciated.

-Dave

Archived